Samsung Galaxy Player: An iPod Touch threat?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by IJBrekke, Dec 28, 2010.

1. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

Most certainly an iPod touch competitor... Thats capable of beating it in a tech spec battle but no popularity contest...

It's behind in competition offering the same front and back cameras, and 1ghz processor as an iPt but

For a device that you can expand memory, GPS!, having a 4 inch screen, but not as powerful as the retina display and many other features I would consider buying....

But I haven't tried android too much....

Looks impressive

2. IJBrekke thread starter macrumors 6502

The inclusion of GPS is huge. This goes from a fringe item to something I would immediately consider buying just with that addition. I've wanted GPS for my iPod Touch since the day I purchased it.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

4. aNYthing24 macrumors member

That definitely looks like a great device. The GPS addition, expandable storage, and much better camera are definite advantages. Wonder if it takes HD video, though.

Any guesstimates on the pricing?

5. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

Great! The lack of (S)AMOLED and retina display resolution is disappointing but the GPS and DMB is great! Does it have a polished steel back? It looks like it does :confused:

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Why are people gushing about the specs?

The cool thing here is GPS. The screen is lower resolution than the iPod Touch, the CPU is the same clock speed as the A4, it doesn't even have a 64 GB version, and the only thing it beats the iPod Touch in (other than having GPS) is having a higher resolution back side camera (that doesn't touch the iPhone 4's).

And yet, we don't have a price point, or even a release date, which is supposed to be announced next month at which point the iPod Touch which still beats it in most points will be five months old.
    :rolleyes:

Not saying the specs are bad; it's about in line with the current iPod Touch. But why are people saying it has impressive specs...or capable of "beating it in a tech spec battle"?

7. IJBrekke thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't think anyone is saying that. It's just competitive, in ways that other products haven't been. On paper, it's an iPod Touch running Android with GPS included, more or less. That intrigues a lot of people, myself included.

8. aNYthing24 macrumors member

It may not have a 64 GB version, but it has expandable storage. It also has a bigger battery, bigger screen, and Bluetooth 3.0. It should be out in Q2 2011 according to Engagdet.

9. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

I love how on a site full of mac users, people praise specs more than software :eek:

also, the resolution is still smaller than the touch's on a larger screen. basically a useless product.

10. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

Finally competition for the touch. Hopefully apple will now innovate more instead of intentionally cheapening the touch, e.g. the crappy camera. I may upgrade my 1st gen touch next year too. Great news

11. aNYthing24 macrumors member

How does the resolution make it useless? 800x480 isn't bad and many smartphones have the same resolution with a similar sized screen.

12. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

It is "useless" because the mactards think anything from apple is superior... :rolleyes:

13. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

If it's got the same camera as the galaxy s then it's as good as the iPhone 4 camera.

Very good alternative IMO, if I didn't have my iPhone 4 I would definitely consider this.

14. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Useless is over-exaggeration, but what makes it better than the touch? The screen obviously isn't as nice. 2.1 is already outdated. Sure, the camera is better. But how often do you really use it?

15. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B118 Safari/6531.22.7)

I wonder why it says "with the latest android version, 2.1 froyo"

16. aNYthing24 macrumors member

More screen real estate = always a good thing. I'm pretty sure I'd the camera on my touch was better I'd use it more often. And I highly doubt it'll come with 2.1. That's probably a typing error.

17. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

For those who aren't tied to iTunes, the Galaxy Player could be quite useful. GPS could be a killer feature if their maps app works well. I don't understand why Apple doesn't have a Maps app that doesn't rely on a data connection.

18. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

DOA.

PMPs and mediaplayers that don't make phonecalls are a dying breed.

The iPod Touch has enough going for it to hang on. Competitors in this area will face failure of Zune-like proportions.

Touting specs alone against Apple's device is a recipe for failure. The competition still doesn't get it.

The mactards are usually right. Especially in this case. Looks like Samsung zuned it.

19. supermac96 macrumors 6502a

supermac96

Probably not even though it should be. People really like apple ipods and using itunes no matter how cheaper or better other products are. I mean how many people own Ipods when they could own they same thing and better for a much lower price. Also remember that macrumors story last week that said that amazons cds were about 10 dollars less than itunes but almost everyone purchased cds on itunes? No matter what else comes out the ipod will always rule and there will really be no competitors.

20. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

Yep and the mactards said the same thing about android phones... :rolleyes:

21. SmokeyRobinson macrumors regular

Doubtful.

I have an Android phone (Droid X) and wouldnt purchase an Android PMP.

The music player is not good so Samsung would have to write a good one or use a Honeycomb player when it comes out and then compete with iTunes. Plus games on Android aren't near WP7 (Only 2 months old) or iOS.

The only competitor I see in the future will be from Microsoft if they decide to try with a Zune HD2 based on WP7 or something. The Zune software is really nice already.

22. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

IMHO itunes is not that good. Regarding gaming, unreal engine already supports android. id is working to bring their rage engine to android. Android is too big of a market to ignore.

23. jamied95 macrumors 6502

Lot's of phones have been "threats", not have really put up a fight. iOS's day will come, where it will no longer be the most sought after platform.

That day is still quite a way away.

24. SmokeyRobinson macrumors regular

iTunes sucks. But its widely used.