Samsung Galaxy S2 with MacOsX

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Lukex, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Lukex macrumors newbie

Hi guys and gals…

new to the forums but "long time", satisfied and proud user of my trusty old MacBook :).
    However I'm looking into buying the Samsung Galaxy S2 as I never had a smartphone before and, well, you gotta go with time :).
    However, while I really like the iPhone and iOS, an unlocked iPhone is not in my budget and I can't find major disadvantages in the Andriod platform that'd make up that price difference.
    So anyway, I wanted to ask what problems I might face with the integration of Android into MacOsx? I heard that lots of people face problems when mounting the device and that the iTunes library can't be transferred with all the IDtags in place and order?

Generally, how would you rate the co-operation of the two devices?

thanks,
    Luke

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Sorry I can't help with direct Android device experience but I can tell you that I considered a Droid Incredible before purchasing my iPhone 4. If you can get iCal and Address to sync with google calendar and contacts you should be good to go. Part of the reason I chose iPhone was I already had MobileMe and I wanted flawless sync. I had sync troubles with my Blackberry and I was tired of duplicate entries and other sync issues. Now that I'm on iCloud, everything "just works". Could I have gotten google to work as well as iCloud? I'm not sure. I know that when I tried to sync my Mac address book with google contacts, I got extra contacts gmail had created for mail I had received. I didn't like that one bit. Perhaps its better now but I'd seriously take a look at sync between google and Address Book and iCal before you purchase an Android device.

3. Lukex thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your input…

The "it just works" things is what keeps me insecure cause Apple got it down when it comes to simple yet effective functionality.
    However, the most important part is the iTunes library as well as maybe iPhoto as I like to keep those libraries clean and orderly and I'd hate to lose that with an android (like I said especially with iTunes).
    iCal-sync would be nice but not necessary and I don't really use my Mac Adress Book so that are no major issues.

Like I said, an unlocked iPhone is no option…I just don't want to spent that money on what is basically a phone (yet a complicated one). Especially when you get the Galaxy S2 for almost half the price.

What I want to be assured of is that the basic sync functions CAN be done and that everything works O.K. maybe not flawless but at least O.K without major headache :)

thx