Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

S4 or One

• Samsung Galaxy S4

Votes: 71 38.8%
  • HTC One

Votes: 112 61.2%

• Total voters

F123D

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
With the announcements of both phones. Which phone do you prefer overall and why?

P3142800-galaxy-s-41.jpg

P3142803-galaxy-s-41.jpg

P3142808-galaxy-s-4.jpg

Last edited:

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Galaxy S4 for me, I wouldn't trade my Note 2 for it because I like the larger screen but it is definitely a step for technology as far as the screen, SoC and software goes. I'll admit Touchwiz is starting to feel a little dated but with the right customization it really doesn't. Plus other launchers are available. I'll have to see the screen in person to comment on the Pentile situation but I'm sure it's okay. I am too used to the 4,200mAh battery in my Note 2 to consider switching to something smaller, really. But I like Touchwiz and that's actually one of my main reasons for preferring Samsung over HTC as weird as that may sound, to each his/her own!

Also it appears like 1080p doesn't even result in websites being scaled down much as I was hoping. I'll have to look into that more because theoretically they should look much better when fully zoomed out. Anything smaller than the Note 2 is less than ideal for web browsing to me, and using awesome apps like Reddit Sync Pro :D I'd love 1080p for Maps and Google Earth, though, no doubt about that.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
S4 for me. The 0.3inch bigger screen of S4 makes a lot of different in viewing area.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The Galaxy S4 didn't wow me in anyway, and preliminary benchmarks on the device are pointing to the HTC one being that small bit more powerful.

Software wise they both innovated you could say but in different ways. Samsung have done the usual and added a ton of S'Apps - most of which I can safely say I'd never use.
They seemingly have done little new to Touchwiz and I was never a fan of it in the first place. I hated it on the SGS2 and the SGS3 didn't change my opinion - the SGS4 just carries the same legacy.

HTC have none of the app type bloat-ware and I like the visual changes they made to Sense 5. I pretty much utilise my phone in the exact manner that they are targeting the HTC One. Outside of core (phone/text/email/calendar) I mainly utilise the phone for RSS feeds (Pulse/Currents/Flipboard) and for taking photos and uploading them to Facebook / Twitter & Instagram. (I never print them). So for me the hardware and software appeal to the things I do the most.

As nice and as varied as the Samsung S'Apps are - they are redundant to me as I'd never use them.

Also watching lots of hands on video footage between the two, the HTC one seems much smoother in operation generally, I have been able to detect Lag in the majority of the hands-on footage of the GS4 since its launch last night, and whilst that could be just unfinished software at fault, seeing it did nothing to win me over or change how I feel about Touchwiz. (With so much powerful hardware we should not be seeing lag in the OS. Period)

Design aesthetics wise of the hardware, actually whilst I still prefer the HTC One by a long way, the SGS4 in the real press shots since the reveal haven't put me off it as much as the SGS3. Small changes like the metal band and the almost carbon fibre style casing are subtle but noticeable improvements. The slightly less rounder feel is also an improvement. It looks more like a phone, less like a soap bar.

So I can see the GS4 selling far more than the HTC One. I can see. More people therefore choosing the GS4 in this poll. But for me - the HTC one is clearly the better device for my needs and my design ethos/lifestyle.

(Looks at pictures - See how lovely the HTC One looks on top of the MacBook Pro. It shares so many of Apples computer hardware design philosophy's).

Last edited:

MF878

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
At this stage, I'd have to say the HTC One. Samsung aren't even trying to pretend they've learned anything about design. I know the S4 will still outsell the One anyway, purely due to marketing.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
If i were to buy a new phone my money will be for the HTC :) wouldnt even care if it had bad reviews lol

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
HTC One.

Not a fan of S-Stuff Samsung bundle in (S-Voice vs Google Now is no contest)
Like the design of the HTC better.
Prefer the looks of Sense 5 over TouchWiz (although TW isn't half as bad as it used to be).

I just feel that HTC have some better offerings than Samsung at the moment. Its a great pair to choose between either way. We're lucky to have such high end choices.

Last edited by a moderator:

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
People will hate the idea but im 100% sure Samsung will start making phones sealed and present a solid looking/feel device like the htc one.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I'd honestly like to see some picture samples taken with the S4 first before I made my choice. Otherwise the HTC ONE looks to be my choice. Premium materials, and apparently the camera lives up to the hype. :cool:

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
HTC One, easily.

The S4 has some nice tricks up it's sleeves, but I don't think I could overlook the design. It's a premium smartphone and should feel it.

The only downside to the HTC One is the lack of expandable memory and it's camera. I get what they are trying to do with ultra-pixels, but I'd want to see solid comparisons between one of these 13mp sensors.

That being said, perhaps the answer is the Xperia Z. It's in the same league as these phones tech wise, and the glass design looks sleek and modern. Throw in expandable memory and it might just be the best compromise between the two.

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
I vote for the HTC, just because of the design of the handset and the HTC sense which I am a great fun, just need to put aside some cash and might pull the trigger!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I like the looks of the HTC a bit more then Samsungs but I think the S4 may be a more complete package.

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
While htc is better looking than s4, i prefer s4. Aluminum body is nice but itdoesnt add any utility function. Instead it sacrifices sd card and removable battery!

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
If the HTC One had a bigger battery and came with an unlocked bootloader, it would be a no brainer. But even without, I'd say the HTC One eeks by.

LorPGDL

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2011
the samsung s4 is probably the better phone, but the one is much nicer to look at.

really depends if what you look for is premium build or removable battery and sd card, i think hardware and software is at such a high level that choosing on or the other wont matter much in daily usage.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
S4.

HTC and battery life (especially on LTE?). 'Nuff said.

Plus, that ridiculously out of reach power/wake button... users beware one handed use. You will shuffle to reach it, and risk dropping it. The HTC One X was dreadfully cumbersome to wake/sleep. It's the only access point to the phone, and it's uncomfortable and hard as heck to use. Until HTC realizes that as phones get larger and the only way to access the phone should be easier to reach, I'm going to be turned off by HTC.

Not falling for the "it looks pretty" deal.

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
S4.

HTC and battery life (especially on LTE?). 'Nuff said.

Plus, that ridiculously out of reach power/wake button... users beware one handed use. You will shuffle to reach it, and risk dropping it. The HTC One X was dreadfully cumbersome to wake/sleep. It's the only access point to the phone, and it's uncomfortable and hard as heck to use. Until HTC realizes that as phones get larger and the only way to access the phone should be easier to reach, I'm going to be turned off by HTC.

Not falling for the "it looks pretty" deal.

This!

HTC will probably release the One + soon or DNA + :rolleyes:

In any case, is that camera on the GS4 recessed or not?! Doesn't look like it from the profile shots I've seen, but it sure does look like it isn't by looking at the back cover!

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
It's tough. I prefer LCD displays, so edge to the One there for me. I do really like the expandable storage and bigger battery of the S4, though. This may come down to camera quality for me. Will look forward to some side-by-side comparisons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.