Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by lazard, May 6, 2014.

1. lazard macrumors 65816

Rumored Specs for S5 mini. Not too shabby.

4.47" Super AMOLED Display (720p)
    Quad-Core Snapdragon 400 processor
    8MP Rear Camera, 2MP Front Camera
    1.5GB Ram
    16GB Internal Storage
    2100 mAh battery

2. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

With another manufacturer, this would be alright but considering how heavy handed they are with TouchWiz, the CPU and RAM would have me worried. It's still quite a step down from the Z1 Compact, which will have been out for at least 6 months by the time this is released.

3. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

I always ask myself... Why make a mini then lower the specs? Go for it all and make a true mini with all or near the specs of the larger model.

4. MRU, May 6, 2014
    Last edited: May 7, 2014

MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I guess it's a cost thing.

An off contract price for S5 for example is €650 here.

The mini usually retails €320-350 off contract.

If they made a mini with same specs and charged €550-600 I'm not sure there would be many takers...

5. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Too gimped to be viable. Better off getting a Nexus device, or Moto X.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

What makes it viable is the fact carriers will be fully subsidising it making it free/no cost when taken on contract. That's where these gimped handsets tend to find their install base.

7. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

Viability is subjective, isn't it? I have a Moto X now, on Verizon Edge, and I might trade it in on the S5 Mini, when/if it comes to Verizon.

I passed on the Galaxy S5 not because of cost, but because I don't like the size of it. I don't need most of the features of the S5, but lag will be a determining factor for me. As long as the Mini doesn't lag horribly, I'll be interested.

I just hope that the screen is as bright as the S5. One thing I hate about the Moto X is the screen. It's too dim and the saturation is too much for me. I like that Samsung offers color modes for AMOLED screens.