Phones Samsung Galaxy S7 Smartphones Top Consumer Reports' Ratings

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by jamezr, Mar 23, 2016.

1. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

2. samcraig macrumors P6

Obviously you're a Samsung Astroturfer because we all know the iPhone is the best phone ever. How dare you! ;)

3. Andres Cantu macrumors 68020

Andres Cantu

That's good news for everybody. This means that Apple will have to start working harder to deliver even better products :)

4. epicrayban macrumors 603

epicrayban

Congrats to Samsung. They deserve it. I can say the s7 edge is leaps and bounds above any other smartphone I've ever used. They deserve the sales, too, so hopefully the s7 does well for them on that front.

5. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Consumer Reports in garbage .... but I agree with them on this one. :p

6. MRU, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016

MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

G. Q. ??? It's been out less than a month and barely in the hands of mass consumers so how on earth can it have had enough consumer feedback to govern such award ? Or is this less to do with consumer feedback and more just someone (a magazine reviewers) subjective opinion - and therefore consumer feedback was / is irrelevant ?

(And I best spell this out before someone takes this genuine question wrong, I'm not saying the S7 e isn't great - but wondering how it can win a consumer report award when not many consumers would have had it to report upon)...

7. Sevanw macrumors 6502a

Sevanw

To be honest, It's no different from any other product review/shootout done these days. Although, consumer reports has a better reputation for standing up to big corporations when giving their ratings.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

So consumer reports is essentially a magazine in itself and not is not based on 'consumer reports' per se. Do I have that right ?

We don't have it here ...

9. Sevanw macrumors 6502a

Sevanw

They review almost everything and anything. They've got very elaborate labs to run their tests. But they don't accept advertising money and buy all products they review. They do surveys as well for certain long term reviews

10. jamezr thread starter macrumors G3

jamezr

i guess the same way all the other reviewers got theirs to test and play around with?

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No the confusion was I assumed 'consumer reports' were actual consumer reports.

Now sevanw explained what they actually are it makes more sense.

As I say we don't have them here.

12. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Concur. Consumer reports has become a shadow of what they were prior to around 2005.

13. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Yeah, they're pretty much the largest consumer goods review magazine, they test cars, lawn mowers, appliances, electronics, ect. They're the ones that most general consumers go to. They got a lot of flack from apple when they put the iPhone 4 on their "not reccomend" list because of the antenna issue. It's funny, when that happened apple fans were up in arms calling them biased and just doing it for the attention, but when they ranked the 4S as one of their best apple haters then started calling bias that they did that to get back on apples good graces..:rolleyes:
    --- Post Merged, Mar 23, 2016 ---
    Yeah, part of that is because they don't take advertising money, so their only revenue is from subscriptions which has been going down in this Internet age. They're still very thorough in their reviews though, and if I'm looking for something I'm not too educated on, such as when I bought my lawn mower and dishwasher, I used their reviews to see if the one I'm getting is any good.

14. admob71 Suspended

admob71

Absolute lies, paid for no doubt by Samsung, no one in their right mind would consider anything other than the iPhone as the champion handset. This opinion of fact will not change till the end of time.

15. jamezr thread starter macrumors G3

jamezr

Sure buddy..... Got sources to back that up?

16. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I think he was being sarcastic, at least I hope he was.

17. jamezr thread starter macrumors G3

jamezr

oh....if he was...I totally missed it :)

18. admob71 Suspended

admob71

I dont need sources mate, my opinion is considered fact around these parts... FACT!!!!

Ps, do you really think I was being serious lol
    --- Post Merged, Mar 25, 2016 ---
    Yes he was ..
    --- Post Merged, Mar 25, 2016 ---
    Yes my friend, you totally missed it lol

19. jamezr thread starter macrumors G3

jamezr

My bad! :oops:

20. JackieInCo macrumors 601

The S7 Edge is the first phone in all these years that has made me actually put my iPhones away in a drawer. In the past, I always brought whatever Android phone I had with me plus an iPhone. I also bough the 6S and 6S+ back in December so it hasn't been that long ago.

None of that anymore. The S7 Edge is the best phone I have ever had.

21. epicrayban macrumors 603

epicrayban

Have to agree. It feels leagues above anything I've ever used, and I've used many.

I mentioned this in the S7 thread... the Edge panel functions are starting to become really useful, too. I find myself going to them more and more to accomplish things. That extra convenience is nice.

This phone, simply put, is a bastion of worry-free luxury. Don't ever have to worry about battery. Don't every have to worry about water (or dust!). Don't ever have to worry about storage. Don't ever have to worry about pictures and videos. Don't have to worry about finger print misreads (amazing upgrade from the S6 in this department. I'm honestly shocked it's not mentioned more).

The most worry-free phone I've ever used.

22. Savor Suspended

Savor

Samsung did a really job for Year 2 of Project Zero. Galaxy S7 edge will likely win best smartphone of the year from GSMA like its predecessor.

I also like Samsung micro-sd cards. Cheap. I bought a Transcend 64gb yesterday and I think the Samsung is better with 200mb more avail (59.6gb v 59.4gb). I think I will trust Samsung more than Sandisk because my 32gb Sandisk went dead after three years out of nowhere.

Go Samsung! Hehe. Who cares, really? Own them all. Brand loyalty is for suckers, the blind, and closed minded. Samsung, Apple, Huawei, LG, Microsoft/Nokia, Xiaomi, Sony, HTC, Lenovo/Motorola/ZUK (Zee-You-Kay), Oppo/OnePlus, ASUS, ZTE, Gionee/BLU, Meizu, and so on are all pretty good brands to me with solid products. So much good stuff out there right now and many get overlooked with the oversaturation with the mobile market. Seven years ago, I would die to have a UI like WP Metro surpassing webOS. Now nobody wants WP. Be content they generally all kick butt in the strongest and most competitive era in mobile history.

23. ozaz macrumors 65816

Sounds excellent. But I assume you've slapped a shock-resistant case on it.
    Because I would worry about the thing shattering when dropped!

24. epicrayban macrumors 603

epicrayban

Fair point! I'm actually for the first time ever rocking the device completely naked. No screen protector either. Mainly because this is a lease (Tmobile jump on demand). I am trying my best to baby this phone when I go out with it naked. I'm just constantly aware of it, if that makes sense.

However, I do have this nifty pouch I got from Etsy that I use from time to time for protection. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fits the s7 edge perfectly. It's lovely.

25. jamezr thread starter macrumors G3

jamezr

Thats a nice looking pouch!