Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (thin 2nd rev. working) side by side with iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by radiohead14, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

It all depends on what you're using your device for.

I picked up a Samsung Galaxy Tab (the 7" original) for use as an ebook reader. Got it used off of craigslist for $275.

I'm very happy so far. On my third book. Haven't read this much in years!

2. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Better than the first from what I could see. But would stood out was how long it took for the tablet to reorient itself when he turned it from side to side and there is still lag issues. That won't go away until Google fixes Honeycomb.

But it does look to be the most promising Android based tablet thus far. Will the experience live up to what the iPad provides? That is the question.

3. radiohead14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

true.. noticed that too. hopefully it'll get sorted out once released. i'm curious to hear how those stereo speakers would be. it also looks like stock honeycomb is running, not samsung's ui. the display looks great also. i just hope the battery life will be as well. as far as thickness, it seems to be the same as ipad 2.

4. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Maybe it's just me but looking at the Galaxy is the reason why I forgot tablets existed until I seen the Ipad.

I bought the Ipad for IOS as it's quick. I can't imagine how sluggish they are running flash and lacking apps.

No way.

(I quite liked the old Galaxy design as it was smaller than the Ipad so it was the tablet I'd have looked at most but this new design is clearly a desperate attempt to beat Apple).

5. radiohead14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

there's an 8" as well..

what I'd like to know is if Samsung is going with their own Exynos CPU here instead of Tegra

6. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

My parents bought a 7" Galaxy Tab last weekend. They wanted a 3G tablet because they live out in the middle of nowhere and are limited to pretty much either dial up internet or satellite. Both options are horrible. Anyway, US Cellular is the only 3G signal they get at their house, so they had to skip the iPad.

My first impression of the Tab was that it's a solid piece of hardware. It feels good in your hands (a bit on the heavy side), it has a nice sharp screen, and it appears pretty easy to use.

Then I actually started using it. I agree with the person above who said it takes too long to switch orientation--that is 100% correct. It takes forever. Also, it locked up on me 3 times just from me swiping to other home screens, and it was a bad enough lock up that I had to do a full reboot of the tablet.

It mostly just made me excited that I'm getting an iPad 2, if Apple ever decides to send it. I had to go to Best Buy yesterday and mess with one just to hold me over. Anyway, after a week of real world use with the Galaxy Tab, my parents ended up taking it back. They are both almost 60 years old and Android just proved to be too daunting for them.

7. radiohead14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yea it can be quite of a learning curve if they don't have android phones already. the older 7" Galaxy Tab runs Android Froyo though, which is the phone OS. the newer ones will come with Honeycomb which was designed for tablets. i'm pretty much just waiting til june when this comes out to see if the battery life is good and if it's worth my tax return dough.. unless Apple comes out with a MB Air refresh by then.. :)

8. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

That video shows exactly why I don't want or understand the desire for anything Android. Small ugly icons, scattered around the screen in total disarray, with a random small crappy photo of someone floating around the middle of the screen (who or what the f is that??), all surrounded by a HUD straight out of Unreal Tournament circa 1999.

Dear Android UI designers,

Just because you grew up playing mid 90s video games doesn't mean your UIs have to look like mid 90s video games. You are allowed to have taste and style and make things look a tad more current. And no, current does not mean Tron.

9. radiohead14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i don't understand what the big deal is.. you know you can take them off right? and you could organize them in grids like the ipad. the background is also changeable.

10. tekker macrumors regular

Customization > Grid

11. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Well, that's the other thing---I don't think Honeycomb is an advantage. From everything I've seen and heard, it's a buggy mess with few optimized apps.

I don't know--I'm a techie. I can appreciate why people like Android. I personally don't. I don't get the allure. I find Android laggy and confusing and unfocused. I like building PCs and modding stuff and messing around with software configurations, but when I use my phone, I want it to just work without me having to root it or read the manual. I was actually a huge Apple hater until I got my iPhone 4. Now I'm hooked and am anxiously awaiting my iPad 2. Apple just makes great gadgets coupled with great UIs. In my mind, they have Android beat by a mile.

For the record, I still hate OSX.

12. radiohead14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hey that's cool, whatever works for you. i'm almost similar.. while i prefer OSX to Windows.. when it comes to my phone, Android is more my preference. and while i seriously considered getting an iPad 2, from my experience with Honeycomb, it is closer to a notebook replacement than iOS. plus it'll be a nice change from using my MBP.

13. aohus macrumors 68000

gonna buy the 7.9 inch model samsung galaxy tab. this device looks amazing!

14. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

The tablet in the new tron looked so sick though!!!
    :O

15. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Looks far sleeker than my Xoom. Samsung have done well with that one.

Honeycomb as an OS does have issues but so far I'm loving the speed and design of Honeycomb. The notification system alone is absolutely perfect, unlike those notifications when he fires up Angry Birds on the iPad 2,

Whilst the customisation might not appeal to everyone here, to some it really is a boon to have.

16. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

I don't think he has ever played with Android.

17. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

comparing android 3.0 to webOS side by side, i find webOS to be a far superior UI, especially in tablet format. after spending weeks with a Xoom, i'm unimpressed, especially since 3.0 feels half-baked (much like android 1.0 did) likely having been rushed to market. webOS, otoh, is much like iOS in that it's just the same OS but on a bigger display.

i'm anxiously awaiting the release of the TouchPad so i can spend more time with one.

as much as i want to see a three horse race, i fear google made a big mistake in releasing 3.0 too soon. if people are willing to give webOS a chance, i think it'll be the dark horse that truly gives iOS the competition it deserves in the tablet space. i just hope google gets honeycomb fleshed out before the masses develop a bias against it.

i'm sure the hardware from samsung's 10" tab is fine... it just deserves an OS that isnt so alpha.

18. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Saw your post, and went on US cellular website to look up galaxy tab details. What a completely lack luster offer: $600 list price, meh data plan price, older version of android, and an additional $25 per month charge for unlimited text messaging. I can see why the iPad is eating everyone else's lunch.

I'm really a fan of US cellular (my family is currently on a plan with them) but I cant see myself jettisoning the iPad or other IOS devices to go to this.

19. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Really. In what situation?

My Tab switches orientation quite promptly in the browser and in apps.

The only "delay" I've seen is sometimes when I have a fancy wallpaper going on the homescreen and it has to do an image recalculation when turned.

If the extra half second is too disconcerting, it should be easily removed: use a static background image and icons like the iPad.

It's $199 on Verizon w/contract.

20. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

It's the same on US Cellular with the 3 year 5 gb $50 per month plan. Unlimited text messaging is $25 per month extra.

It's not horrible for 5gb (I did say 'meh' rather than 'Frak!')....but I don't want to be locked into a plan with hardware for three years when mobile tech is changing so rapidly.

Lackluster offer. Even if these performed the same and had a similar user experience to the ipad, they're still the underdog. They'd have to offer better hardware or a cheaper price (preferably both) to have a chance of catching apple.

21. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

This was with the stock, untouched background. Nothing animated or anything. On my parents' tab, there was nothing fancy going at all with the background and it was taking a good 5 seconds for it to switch. I even checked to see what processes were running and killed them all. Still the same problem.

And this is the problem I have with a LOT of Android devices (not all of them, but a lot). They just aren't as smooth as my iPhone or iPad.

22. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Yep, if US Cellular wants a three year contract, that's not a deal at all.

However, their website says two years. (?)

Five seconds to rotate? You're right, obviously something was very wrong, because that's nowhere near normal behavior. Did you reboot or swap the unit?

If this happens to you a lot, I wonder if you're (begging Jobs' pardon) holding these devices wrong. Perhaps have a finger on the menu key at the same time or something!

Smoothness is in the eye of the beholder, IMO. For instance, Android usually fills in lists on the fly, which can cause stuttering, but is quicker to start and rarely shows blanks. iOS tends to show a checkerboard and fill in the entire list, which ends up smoother later, but also unfortunately can mean lacking the ability to fill in a large list at all sometimes, due to memory constraints.

Six of one, half dozen of the other, as they say :)

23. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Doesn't look too shabby, if I'm totally honest. Hardware looks good. A total Xoom killer and a viable iPad 2 alternative.
    If I was an Android fanboy and had just bought a Xoom, I'd be pissed, as this looks like the bona fide Honeycomb tablet.

24. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

iPad has a case on it. Who are they trying to fool?