Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 announced

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HeadGear, Feb 26, 2012.

1. HeadGear macrumors member

Engadget Source: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2

So I don't know about any of you but obviously Android doesn't have anything on the iPad but it's nice to see the specs they are coming out with any hoping that Apple will have some of those specs and then more. I know a quad-core processor is over-kill, but wouldn't it be sweet?

I'm looking for at least an 8mp rear camera and a 5mp front - along with fixing the pixel issues in the iPad 2, I don't know if it's just me or anyone else but taking pictures on this thing is extremely blurry and using FaceTime or PhotoBooth is as well.

Other spec's I'd like to see is more than 1gb of ram and maybe a longer battery life (iPad 2 has it pretty solid now). I'm sure their is more just thought I would share the article and my thoughts.

2. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

More crap thrown at the wall waiting for something to stick. And from the info, won't be shipped to the US any time soon.

Not that it would matter anyway. IPad 3 launch is imminent, making anything released or talked about at the world mobile conference a distant memory in 2 weeks.

3. palpatine macrumors 68040

right now, i'd say the transformer prime is probably the best product on the market at the 10.1" size. i am still on the fence right now about whether to keep mine or not, but overall, i am pretty pleased with it.

as far as i can tell, the samsung tablet doesn't meet any of the specs for the prime, so unless they plan on undercutting the prime ($499) in price, i don't see how they can sell much. the prime is undercutting the ipad by$100 (32 gb model) already.

the big mobile conference is going on in barcelona as i write this, and we may see some exciting stuff there. asus is supposedly going to release a higher quality display (with a higher price) sometime later this year, so the ipad 3 will have good competition. but, as usual, i doubt any product will have all of the features necessary to be an "ipad killer." rather, it is more like wounding by a thousand cuts (market share for the ipad has already plummeted, as most analysts expected).

4. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Market share has not plummeted. Analysts for Android include "shipped and sitting on store shelves" as their market share numbers to keep interest and shareholders happy. In reality, sell through of Android based tablets is extremely low, while sell through of the ipad is extremely high. True market share numbers using that statistic are what matters.

And if you include every non-iPad tablet, EVER sold you still won't equal what Apple sold just last quarter. That's true market share!

5. meechy macrumors 6502

Another day, another android tablet released. *yawn*

Let me know when the iPad 3 is released.

6. Jb07 macrumors 6502

I just checked out the Tab 2 10.1, and I am dissapointed. I have the original GTab 10.1, and this one has the same specs. :( It was rumored that it would have a higher resolution screen, oh well. Guess I will get the iPad 3 instead.

7. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

This looks like a low end version of their tablet. I guess they'll release their next high end tablet along with the Galaxy S3, and that tablet should have very nice specs including a larger display with high resolution. (allegedly a 11.6" screen with 2560 x 1600 resolution)

The more interesting Android tablet announced today is the Huawei one: http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/26/2825387/huawei-mediapad-10-fhd-android-quad-core

At the end it all doesn't really matter that much though. These are all Android tablets and thus limited by the current state of Android tablet software and apps, or lack thereof. iPad 3 will have a competitive hardware specs to go with an unbeatable ecosystem. The tough testing of tablets will come when Windows 8 tablets are released.

8. 62tele macrumors 6502a

"Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 announced"

And on this day not a single frick was given!

9. palpatine macrumors 68040

huawei:
    good stuff, but not ready yet. we'll see how that looks when it comes out much, much later than the ipad 3. samsung is so far behind with this, i think if you are looking at hardware, you have too many android and apple products (even the ipad 2) that seem superior. the problem with huawei (i think) is that no one knows it. at least samsung has name recognition.

market share:
    64% to 57%. i don't know how they count this stuff. but, those are numbers. each one of the manufactures is selling several million each year, including the kindle fire, so it kind of makes sense, right? as i said, wounding by a thousand cuts. there isn't an ipad killer, and i doubt there will be. but, there will be competitors. i don't think the galaxy tab 2 will be much of one.

os and apps:
    ice cream sandwich is impressive. so are the apps. it wasn't like this just a few months ago. i wouldn't write android off too quickly. i don't think this will be a big factor in my purchase decisions anymore.

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    As noted here several times before, Apple also reports the number shipped to retailers, not just ones sold to end users (unless bought directly from an Apple store).

Unfortunately, we don't have those hard numbers. However, sell through can only be low for a short period before the lack of end user sales would reflect in low future shipments. While Android sell through appeared low a year ago, shipments have continued to grow since then.

In the US, that recent comScore report put non-iPad tablets ahead in number of surveyed unique users:
    tablets_us_2011.PNG

11. VinceDae macrumors regular

Wow...

That dosent look like an iPad at ALL... *Cough*copyright infringement*Cough*

[​IMG]

12. palpatine macrumors 68040

copyright infringement is a little more complicated than comparing rectangular pieces of glass. they all look the same from the front :)

anyhow, i wouldn't expect many companies to be going all sony s-shaped innovative on us. i think we're going to be seeing a lot of the same shaped stuff for a while.

13. VinceDae macrumors regular

It was ment as a joke ;) ... But it do look like an iPad

14. palpatine macrumors 68040

:)
    it does.

15. Dr. McKay macrumors 6502a

At work, we have both the iPad 2 and the Galaxy Tab. I took some time to compare the two.
    Frankly, I'm disappointed with Android. The whole experience is less satisfying than iOS on the iPad. Scrolling on the Android is fast as well, but lacks smoothness/fluidity. The tab itself is not as well made, either. It's not bad, but lacks the overall quality of the iPad.
    And seeing it costs about the same as the iPad, there's no reason to buy the Galaxy...