Samsung Galaxy Tab/Note Pro targeting iPad Air/rMini

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by TigeRick, Feb 12, 2014.

1. TigeRick macrumors newbie

Well, Samsung just announced price and configuration of new Pro lineup. The price and spec are really targeting Apple iPad and Retina iPad Mini.

Tab Pro 8.4: $399.99 (16 GB) competes with rMini
    Tab Pro 10.1: $499.99 (16 GB) competes with iPad Air
    Tab Pro 12.2: $649.99 (32 GB) well, Samsung leads now
    Note Pro 12.2: $749.99 (32 GB), $849.99 (64 GB) again Samsung leads with Wacom pen

We all love Apple iPad but we also feel open to competition, so any features in the Pro line that you wish Apple will implement in the future? I can think of some:-

1. Multi Windows support
    2. S-Pen for Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
    3. 3GB RAM sounds yummy
    4. External SD card support

2. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

maybe the stylus but not a necessity, just capability. and definitely more ram.

3. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I wish they would both go to 32 GB of storage for the base models. Otherwise, apple ought to make printing from the iPad a tad easier. That'd be my favorite update.

4. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Apple have no room for stylus for both Air and Rmini. There are plenty of 3rd party stylus for cheap. I think Apple need to cut the price to sell iPad better. :apple:

5. gatearray macrumors 65816

You realize that 3gb of RAM is only "yummy" if the OS it's supporting isn't a pig, right? And you'll sooner see an 8-track player in the next iPad rather than an SD card slot. :)

6. TigeRick thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, the combination of 1GB RAM and A7 might not really be best combination based on the feedback from other forummer. I will actually wait for next version of iPad Air with 2GB RAM. Cheer!

7. saotomefirst macrumors regular

More RAM definitely! Multi-window support is desirable, but unlikely to happen - maybe it could work with a combination of some of Apple's own apps like Maps and Facetime or Safari and iTunes Store, but if you bring this system wide you could run into battery life troubles. I can easily imagine some people watching an HD movie on YouTube on one while playing a 3D game on the other. In this scenario, your battery could end up running down quicker than that of those Windows Tablaptos :(

8. cammyg123, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014

cammyg123 macrumors regular

cammyg123

More RAM the better as they say.

Here's what I say:

Yes more RAM is a good thing for the iPad. It's a good thing for any device.

But the iPad doesn't really use that much RAM with the iOS system.

Fine if you want more RAM great, but note that the iPad won't even use all of that, and Apple will increase the price even if the iPad won't even use all that RAM.

Basically, you're adding RAM and increasing the price (whether it would be greatly or not is the question), but most of that ram won't evened be used? Why pay for RAM you won't be needing?!

9. SeanR1 macrumors 6502

SeanR1

Because apple doesn't control how much data websites use. Reloading tabs is a pain.

10. mattbaar26 macrumors regular

I like the 16:9 aspect and also the new homescreen interface

11. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Given how much i like my nexus 7 and how i hated the note 8.0 with its bloated interface, i would rather grab the Gpad 8.3 with a GE ROM or nexus 8 IF it ever happens.

The only thing i do like is an SD card slot though.

----------

More RAM allows less browser reloads. Which is great.

Since we are talking tablets here, yes i would pay a little extra for an iPad with 2/4 GB RAM.

12. identity macrumors 6502

I was at BB earlier and played with all of them. The faux leather back actually felt better on the 8.4 Pro than the 12.2 Pro. The 8.4 Pro also has a Snapdragon and not the Exynos processor which the other wifi versions have.

If I didn't have the iPad Mini 2, I'd consider the 8.4 Pro.

13. mattbaar26 macrumors regular

WHY ARE THERE NO REVIEWS YET! I'm dying to read/watch some reviews to find out how these guys perform!

14. AppleRobert, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014

AppleRobert macrumors 603

None at my local store as I was there yesterday.

The Kindle Fire 8.9 HDX has a real nice screen. I want to see how the smaller Sammy looks in comparison.

Someone on XDA probably reviewed it. Did anyone root it yet? :)

edit: found a review:

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_tab_pro_8_4-review-1042.php

15. SeanR1 macrumors 6502

SeanR1

16. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I will try BB soon again when this ridiculous bad weather in the northeast lightens up. Too busy now shoveling, snow blowing and chopping ice though we got some break at least yesterday, that did not last long though.

17. mattbaar26 macrumors regular

I saw this review but this was posted like 3 days ago. I'm surprised nothing is out yet, usually when the device goes on sale, the press embargo lifts and tech sites have reviews left and right.