Samsung Galaxy Tab S with AMOLED display.

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Billy95Tech, May 12, 2014.

1. Billy95Tech Suspended

After releasing many tablets so far in 2014 like the most recent high end Galaxy Tab and Note Pro tablets and now there are very strong rumors that Samsung are going to new high end tablets called the Samsung Galaxy Tab S line up in 10.5 and 8.4 inch tablets.

The specs of the Galaxy Tab S include WQXGA (2560×1600) AMOLED display, an octa-core Exynos 5420 CPU with four 1.9GHz Cortex-A15 cores and four 1.3GHz Cortex-A7 cores and with 3GB of RAM, 8-megapixel rear camera, 2.1-megapixel front-facing camera, Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 4.0 LE, GPS/GLONASS, and LTE connectivity, an IR blaster, and Android 4.4 KitKat.

The Galaxy Tab S will also be Samsung’s first ever tablet equipped with a fingerprint sensor, and just like with the Galaxy S5, it’s embedded in the home button. All fingerprint sensor related features from the Galaxy S5 will be present on the tablet, which include: Fingerprint Unlock, PayPal Payments, Private Folder and Samsung Apps login. Samsung will also be introducing a new feature, which will be unique to the Galaxy Tab S, it’s called Multi-User login. This feature uses Android’s native multi-user functionality but enhances it further by allowing the user to log in to his/her account simply by swiping a finger on the home button from the lock screen.

Full Article http://www.sammobile.com/2014/05/05...ay-exynos-5-octa-fingerprint-sensor-and-more/

What do think everyone? Are you looking to buy the Samsung Galaxy Tab S?

I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 and it is amazing and a BEAST of a tablet.

This will be a BEAST of a tablet along side the Galaxy Tab Pro tablets and the rumored Nexus 8 and it 100% blows away the Ipad Air/Rmini in terms of specs and quality.

Apple have a big job on there hands to make there next Ipad(air 2/Mini 3) to be on the same level as the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro/S tablets because now they are bit behind of the competition in terms of specs.

2. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Another new line of devices by Samsung...shocking. :eek:

I really don't understand this product strategy. I can barely keep straight the differences between their existing lines and I think I'm more knowledgeable than the typical customer. Want to have some fun--head to your local Best Buy or other electronics retailer and ask the salesperson to describe the feature of each and what makes them different. ;)

So what will this make, four 8" tablets and 3 or 4 10" versions? And what differentiates all of them?

From first glance, it seems the only differentiating features are the fingerprint sensor and the AMOLED display--really need a whole new line of tablets to introduce this, rather than update an existing line? It's like a car company adding a whole new model car to introduce a new sunroof.

3. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Their strategy is to throw things at the wall and see what sticks. It works for them, too, since they make massive amounts of money from their mobile division.

4. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Yeah, I know, just find it a bit exasperating personally.

And further evidence--why stop at 7, 8, 10, and 12" tablets when 13" is also available. ;)

5. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Soon enough, they'll likely have a 13" tablet. Give them time. ;)

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

They are basically the galaxy tab version of the galaxy note pro. Same specs minus wacom digitiser and the polka dot back of the s5 rather than stitching of the note line..

7. rhinosrcool, May 12, 2014
    Last edited: May 12, 2014

rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

8. lazard macrumors 65816

not sure why so many people are put off by Samsung offering the consumer more options.

9. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I have nothing against more options--choice is great. My contention is that there doesn't seem to be any specific structure to their device variation. What I'd prefer though is that they would integrate more options into fewer choices, rather than create an entire different line with one or two differing features. They really needed to create a different line of devices just to integrate a fingerprint sensor?

So if I'd like to get a device with stylus functionality, I get a Note, but can't have an AMOLED display (if that's my preferred display type) or fingerprint sensor--and vice versa. What if I'd like a tablet with all of that capability?

That's all I'm saying--seems all over the place.

10. beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

im having a hard time rationalising what precisely has been said here, care to explain?

i've failed to find any objective or subjective criteria that would render mentioned statement true in any way whatsoever. especially since we're talking about samsung.

maybe im missing something

11. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Options are great certainly when they are great products. With my note tablets I fail to see any ipad being better for my needs. As great as ipad may be

----------

What's better is always only opinion. You will never get facts when comparing tech.

12. AppleRobert macrumors 603

More toys to play with at Best Buy.

I returned the 8.4" Pro after a few days, I keep looking at the Tab 4 and the price is better than the Tab 3. Go figure.

13. beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

im talking strictly about specs and quality.

for specs we have benchmarks, for quality we have eyes and hands.

but of course, benchmarks, hands and eyes werent all created equal. some paint the picture more completely.

but yes, by all means, use the word 'subjective' whenever you feel like

14. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

Meh...like the iPhone 5 and 5S, I'd rather have my Pro 8.4 withOUT the fingerprint scanner. The spec bump sounds nice, but at what cost (if any) to battery life?

15. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

The specs sound awesome, but that's not the problem of the android tablet experience.

Not writing it off. The AMOLED screen, RAM, and being able to run 2 apps side by side is interesting, But it's going to take a lot to pull me out the iPad compared to say replacing my 5S with an S5.

16. Billy95Tech thread starter Suspended

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 and 3 are way underpowered compared to the high end tablets like the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro tablets but may be not for the average joe.

I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7(as a back up now) i thought it was alright but after i bought the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 couple days ago wow this tablet blows my Galaxy Tab 2 7 away in every aspect(CPU, RAM, Display, Gaming, Internet Browsing) it is way faster and better.

You get what you pay for and it is 100% worth the price and a premium tablet as i only got it from Amazon for only about 280 euros/pounds compared to the price tag of 349 euros/pounds in phone shops i went in for the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 seems i got it at a bargain price.

I am looking to use my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 for a least 2/3 years and i really like this tablet and will be a fan of the pro tab series for years to come. :)

Why did you returned Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4? and i just curious.