Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

starstreak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2004
anybody used the new galaxy watch to an iPhone? What features are missing? I heard Samsung updated the app.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Not a single response? Nobody? I'm curious also. If I were to ever consider a smart watch, I like the galaxy's look and battery life better than the apple watch, which may help overcome my detest for the google/android system.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Thanks! I found that video myself too. I was surprised tho of no response to the original post. I guess that’s just a sign of true AAPL preferences around these parts!

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Thanks! I found that video myself too. I was surprised tho of no response to the original post. I guess that’s just a sign of true AAPL preferences around these parts!
It's not about that, it's because when you use other smartwatches on iOS, the functions you get become very limited. I had the moto 360 with my iPhone, and other than showing time and notifications, it practically couldn't do anything else. Add on to the frequent disconnections, it's annoying and defeats the point of having a smartwatch.

And when one spend that much money on a Samsung Gear watch, having less features would be annoying. Might as well get an Apple watch instead, of use the Samsung watch with a Galaxy S phone. Samsung is not guilt-free either, as they are making many of their accessories to be compatible with only Samsung phones (and some only with select Galaxy S phones).

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
It's not about that, it's because when you use other smartwatches on iOS, the functions you get become very limited. I had the moto 360 with my iPhone, and other than showing time and notifications, it practically couldn't do anything else. Add on to the frequent disconnections, it's annoying and defeats the point of having a smartwatch.

And when one spend that much money on a Samsung Gear watch, having less features would be annoying. Might as well get an Apple watch instead, of use the Samsung watch with a Galaxy S phone. Samsung is not guilt-free either, as they are making many of their accessories to be compatible with only Samsung phones (and some only with select Galaxy S phones).

Thanks, at least someone here finally answered the original post. Was just curious to hear some experience/feedback from here. I like a classic round watch shape that blends in, and the shape of the Apple Watch just kind of turns me off, just like the look of hybrid vehicles that would likely be universally rejected if they weren’t “special look at me” vehicles. Thx for your thoughts. The one YouTube review suggests enough useful compatibility that it might be worth it for somebody who really needed the smartwatch but wanted the Samsung’s design. Likely still a pass for me.

Last edited:

naturalguy

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2018
I use it (came from a Galaxy phone) it disconnects often but otherwise works fine. I'll be getting an Apple watch eventually

Reactions: Tozovac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.