iPhone X Samsung Galaxy Watch with iPhone X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Achillias, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Achillias, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019

Achillias macrumors 6502

Achillias

hello guys,

I'm just thinking on getting the Samsung Galaxy Watch instead of the Apple Watch just based on the design and price. It's rumoured to start at just 200 dollars and I like the round form factor more. But now I would like to know if anyone knows if this Watch is compatible with the iPhone X. Do you guys know if the older Galaxy Watches we're able to work perfectly with the iPhone or not, if so that should make me buy it.

2. AnthroMatt macrumors 6502

AnthroMatt

I looked into this and decided against it...that was about a year ago. iMessages will not work on the Samsung, so you'll either have to disable iMessage on your phone and exclusively use SMS or just live with not having full sync functionality. You also can't respond to texts, so it is like having an old fitbit.

None of your health data will sync with Apple Health and I know the Samsung Gear app has to be running all time to remained paired, so if iOS kills the app to save resources, you'll lose your connection with the watch.

Again, it may be different now, but that was the state of things about a year ago.

3. naturalguy macrumors member

I have the Samsung Gear S2 with the iPhone Xs and it disconnects frequently, I have to open the app and then it connects again. I'll be getting the Apple watch in the future

4. kiensoy macrumors member

Assuming that you can pair it to your iPhone, functionality would probably be limited like on my Pebble. I receive notifications but can’t reply. It’s very rare that I reply to notifications from my Apple Watch though.

5. Achillias thread starter macrumors 6502

Achillias

6. jjohnstonjr macrumors member

jjohnstonjr

I always felt dirty in a sense thinking of linking something non Apple to something Apple such as this that you mentioned. Hell the only thing I would use non Apple with my iPhone would be headphones...

7. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

8. DragonX macrumors member

I had Pebble watch, it worked absolutely flawless without any problems with the Health app. Also I too never answer messages on my Apple Watch - it's a too cumbersome experience. Also thinking of switching to Samsung after all these years of Apple Watch never going anywhere. My $50 Pebble had ~100 different watchfaces!

9. Achillias thread starter macrumors 6502

Achillias

So answering messages on a smartwatch is overrated anyway? As long you can see all the notifications.

10. spacemnspiff macrumors 6502a

spacemnspiff

I reply to messages when the response has to be short or canned or emoji to convey the thoughts. But cannot draft a sentence on the Watch.

11. alphaswift macrumors regular

I tried it with a Samsung Gear S3 Frontier and you can get some notifications, but not much else. In the end, I sold it and bought an Apple Watch. It's a shame though because I much preferred the fit and look of the Samsung Watch. I find the Apple Watch a little effeminate.

12. DragonX macrumors member

What are using on your Apple Watch except notifications and fitness tracking (which are basically the same on both platforms)?

13. kiensoy macrumors member

Same. I had a few times autocorrect or dictation messing up my message and I end up grabbing my phone to explain that the watch sent the previous message wrong.

14. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Not for me! Over rated that you can answer messages via the watch?

Sounds like you are trying to convince yourself.

15. Achillias thread starter macrumors 6502

Achillias

You need to learn to read. It's a question mark.

16. bevsb2 macrumors 68000

I find answering messages on my Apple Watch to be easy and convenient. There are multiple short responses that you can just hit or you can record your message and hit send. Very easy in the car to just pick "ok" or "on my way", etc without any typing or to dictate and send. I also unlock my MacBook Pro with my watch which works much better than my experience with Touch ID or Face ID.

17. kiensoy macrumors member

I wish the short responses could be editable for any app. I can use my own replies in iMessage but not on WhatsApp or other apps.

18. DragonX macrumors member

So nobody is using their Apple Watch for anything except replying with short responses on iMessage lol?

19. bevsb2 macrumors 68000

Also use mine for fitness tracking, answering phone call if more convenient, events on calendar, checking weather/temperature, timer, heart rate and EKG, participation in heart study last year, occasionally e-mail and of course to check the time.

20. PeteS1963 macrumors 6502

I use it for everything from checking the latesr METAR, navigating in a forest, checking traffic conditions, looking up tide times, turning the lights on/off, adjusting my heating...