Samsung GalaxyS's having GPS Issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sean4123, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Sean4123 macrumors 6502

Many of you may have heard about how Samsung is having some issues with their Galaxy S line up of phones not being able to connect to GPS and they are having a software update to fix it in September.

Now this is all good, and no phone is perfect, but i'm wondering what you think would happen if this happened to the iPhone or even the iPad? I'd guess that this issue would have already made headline news and I probably would have already seen it on my local news station. Its funny how when Apple has a issue (that is easily fixable) they are damn near castrated for it. When Samsung, HTC, Motorola, or any other big name handset maker puts out a flaw in their hardware/software, there is a small news story on Engadget and Gizmodo and that is the end of it.

2. Sean4123 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Well, you know what would have happened: the news would be just full of it. The new Samsung designs actually look pretty neat.

4. wreckshop macrumors 6502

Thats because those companies dont hype up their phones by saying stupid crap like "this changes everything" or that their phone is "magical."

5. rmarinheira macrumors member

You took the words right out of my mouth.
    What else company does that kind of hype when launching products? Can you tell me when Samsung, or any other comoany sets up presentations like Apple.

You know... when things goes well, Apple gets lots and lots of attention, overvaluating their products, but there's 2 faces on a coin.... When things go wrong, the hype is there as well...

When playing this game, SJ has to be prepared for this...

PS: and no, I am not an Apple detractor, and I consider Apple products very high quality, with a terrific using experience, and top quality customer care.
    We just need to be honest and admit problems when they happen.
    I was long waiting for the iphone 4 but all the issues (reception problems, rattling buttons and sensor proximity issues, among others) made me forget about it. Too much money to spend on a product that I think is not on pair to Apple usual quality standards

6. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Samsung has announced a fix in the works, unlike Apple who claim that there is no issue but give out free cases to fix the supposedly non-existent problem.

You could say that the amount of bad press is proportional to the number of disappointed customers...

7. intervenient macrumors 6502a

Except the iPhone 4 received tons of negative press and 93% of it's customers are happy with it. Whereas the Samsung phones are getting little attention for his flaw, and many, myself included, have taken it back.

8. sorchard macrumors regular

When Samsung's every product is awaited with baited breath by the media and its users, and every product is hyped up to the max (even if they aren't all that great), then perhaps there'd be a case.

But, Samsung doesn't indulge in the collective hi-5ing and hyping up of its products that Apple does, so when there's an issue, it's not a big deal. Besides, they've admitted there's a problem and a fix is in the works. No weeks of waiting for a "press" conference.

Apple's issues don't appear to be software based, and as of yet there has been no real admission - simply "other phones do it too" (no, other phones have a different issue). At least they've backtracked on the poor attempts to smear other manufacturers by putting those videos up.

It's amazing that in the iPhone forum, people (who I guess own iPhones) have to post about a flaw with any other device.

9. Solange82200 macrumors regular

Sorchard, I see your point, but if you go to Gizmodo or any other forum, any article about iphones has a gazillion negative posts from people who dont even own one. And what the OP is saying is true, regardless of the reason (whether it's apple hyping up the products, or the android fanboys who love to complain about a phone they dont even own).

By the way, I must say my Iphone 4's gps is the best Ive ever had. I went to Orlando this past weekend, drove up from Miami, and there was nowhere that I didnt have gps and phone signal. I used Navigon throughout the whole trip, I will never need a gps unit as long as I have this phone..

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

And you're posting this on an iPhone forum because....

11. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

He's posting to get a negative reaction out of the community!

12. jb007clone macrumors 6502

jb007clone

Another day, another Motorola/Google/HTC/Samsung troll post...

13. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

You guys have obviously never watched a Samsung phone launch.

Why don't you guys search youtube for the Galaxy S launch before you decide to comment?

14. Schweitzer macrumors regular

15. colder macrumors member

I have an iPhone 4 and love it.

But a software problem with the GPS code is quite a bit different and much less serious than an obvious design flaw, such as overlooking well-known principles of attenuation in placing the antenna where the user will be touching it.

it's not that big of a deal when you consider few people would use the phone without a case anyway, but this is hardly a "gotcha" for Apple

16. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Is this Android Forum? It clearly says iPhone 4 forum. Either you are very bad with your English or you are very bad with the computer.

17. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

18. rmarinheira macrumors member

Will you grow up????
    Read the first post and then rethink what you wrote...

The first post were written clearly by someone who:

1. is an iphone fan

or

2. already owns one

and wants to "vitimize" Apple and the iPhone 4 antennagate, rattlingbuttongate and any other gates....

All we're doing is to answer his post... nothing more than that!

And now.... back to android forums, where people really exchange ideas!