Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I wouldn't write off a whole category of devices simply because the right uses haven't been found or aren't technically possible yet.

I'd buy a smart watch with the following:

- phone finder for those WTF moments
- discrete notifications, quick reply functionality w voice recognition
- led flashlight
- camera (even if just for "LOL" photos, provided they can be insta snapped)
- controls phone's music player
- communicates voice commands to phone a la moto x, shows me results (why not just pick up the phone? Perhaps because it's in another room.)
- proximity unlocks my phone and other stuff
- clock face acts as fingerprint reader, verifies payment through watch in stores
- proximity tech lets the clock be used as a small storage device for air drop like transfers
- buzzes when I get a call (I hate having a to strong vibration setting on my phone because it damn near gives me a heart attack when the phone is on a table or something, therefore I sometimes miss calls when the phone is in my jacket pocket)

And stuff like that. All provided that the watch isn't bigger than say a cheap plastic Casio, and designed to look like a watch and not some bizarre semi-retro undefined piece of cheap tech like the Samsung watch.

So, probably not likely yet for a few years. But when it is - why not? I think it's an inevitable direction that personal assistant type devices will take.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
My Pebble quickly became a "can't live without" gadget. It's a lifesaver when I'm at school and work. And when I'm walking or cycling, it's integration with Run Keeper is awesome. I know the Pebble and smart watches in general get a lot of hate on this forum. It's definitely a niche product, but for those of us in that niche it's a great idea.

I haven't seen the Gear yet. I was interested in checking one out, as I thin eventually support will come to the GS4 which I'm using now. But it's pretty pricey and doesn't seem to do all that much, even compared to the pebble.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.