Samsung Gear Fit Pro & Gear Sport Watch.

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by LIVEFRMNYC, Aug 15, 2017.

1. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Gear Fit Pro ....This is going to be a huge improvement from the Fit 2. I just hope it fits my wrist correctly, as the Fit 2 didn't. If the price is similar to what the Fit 2 was at release, then this will sell like hotcakes.

https://phoneradar.com/samsung-gear-fit-2-pro-leaks-reveals-design-new-features-like-swim-tracking/

[​IMG]

Gear Sport ...... Not much is known about this yet, but Samsung filed with the FCC. I wonder if it's a cheaper version of the S3 or a replacement name for the S4.

[​IMG]

2. JaySoul macrumors 68030

JaySoul

Looking forward to it.

Happy with my Gear S3 but the Fit is something I could definitely recommend to a lot of people.

3. apolloa macrumors G4

It's a shame this doesn't run Android for the apps, it looks like a great design.

4. JaySoul macrumors 68030

JaySoul

Honestly, having using Android Wear, watchOS and Tizen....

Tizen is my favourite. Hands down.

5. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Currently, I have a Gear S2. it's pretty good. However, I had a Gear Fit 2 and it was just as good for activity tracking. I'll be watching this. Maybe, for Note 8 early adopters, they'll get a free Gear Fit Pro? We'll see...

6. co.ag.2005 macrumors 68020

co.ag.2005

Same here. I couldn't go back to Android Wear.

7. epicrayban macrumors 604

epicrayban

My next sports watch could be a smartwatch. My current Garmin is great, but I'm interested in upgrading in the near future.

Looking forward to more details.

8. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 604

That would nice. I didn't even think about that.

9. apolloa macrumors G4

Unless you have an iPhone I'm guessing? I presume it offers limited support for iOS?

10. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Last year, with the Note 7, they had the Gear Fit 2 as one of the freebies. Maybe, this year, they'll do the same?

11. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Supposedly my Nixon doesn't offer that much functionality on iOS either so it may not just be unique to Tizen.

12. Klyster macrumors 65816

Klyster

I'd love a gear S3 but at NZ$600… I'll wait a bit.

13. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

I picked up a refurbished Gear S3 last week for $209.95 US. Looks like brand new. If not for the fact it came in a different box I never would have known it was a refurb.

14. Klyster macrumors 65816

Klyster

15. epicrayban macrumors 604

epicrayban

16. epicrayban macrumors 604

epicrayban

17. JaySoul macrumors 68030

JaySoul

18. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

I took a risk by jumping on a refurb S3 a couple of weeks ago (knowing that new watches were coming soon) but now I'm glad I did.

19. epicrayban macrumors 604

epicrayban

I think I'll just hold off on smartwatches a little while longer. I'm in no rush to get into them anyway.

In fact, I'm going to pull the trigger on a Citizen watch that I've been eyeing and holding back on in part for the new Gear watch reveal. :)

How are you liking the S3?

20. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

I like it. Still haven't figured out how to use every feature to my advantage, but I've got time (no pun intended ;)).

Here's an example of something I really like: I use alarms throughout the day every day to remind me of all sorts of things. And I often hit snooze to re-remind me a few minutes later. I love NOT having to pull my phone out of my pocket each and every time the alarm goes off. Instead I just casually reach for the S3 and hit Stop or Snooze. Very convenient.

Truth is that if the S3 had only been available as a "new" item for $349 or even $299 I would have waited for the S4. But at $209.95 the refurb was hard to pass up -- and it was like brand new.

21. epicrayban macrumors 604

epicrayban

Yeah, that's a good price!

22. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

So, it looks like the S3 smartwatch will remain the flagship watch.

The gear fit sport tops the s3 with swim tracking and an improved heart rate monitor, The battery will be equal or less, Samsung pay but without MST, etc.

It looks like a great watch. I had the s3 and use it for both a casual watch and a sport/run tracking. It does great in both aspects. I am a larger guy, so the size of the watch doesn't bother me.

I don't see, beyond the swim tracking, how it improves on the S3 sport tracking. I have owned a few android wataches, as well as the apple watch 2 nike edition. The Gear s3 is my favorite so far.

Assuming it doesn't, Ill be keeping my S3 (which I love), and will be very interested in the icon X upgrade. The airpods didn't fit my ears, and the Icons appear to match the airpods in battery life, bixby integration, while improving on fit (for me, hopefully), and sports tracking.

23. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 604

The design of the Gear Sport is basically the same as the Gear S2 Classic, with a difference of the rotating bezel having smaller ridges and better water resistance. Spec wise it's just a small bump in battery, ram, and cpu.

24. co.ag.2005, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017

co.ag.2005 macrumors 68020

co.ag.2005

I agree the S3 frontier looks much better but I am interested in that increased water resistance. While my S3 Frontier is ip68 (I believe), I still don't wear it in the pool or in water just because Samsung won't cover it in case it gets liquid damage. I'd like to have a water resistance rating that at least gives me more comfort to wear in the pool when I'm playing with my 2 year daughter. But, I'm still not going to buy this, maybe a few more iterations down the road.