Samsung - Gear S2 Smartwatch

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by AppleRobert, Oct 2, 2015.

1. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Was just about to post the same comment. Both Phil and Andrew over at AC also had less favorable impressions about the UI, saying while the rotating bezel is great, similar to the Apple, navigation or completing actions is often disjointed or required too many steps. And the setup process was often incredibly tedious, requiring interaction with both Google Play and the Galaxy App Store to get apps working.

The voice functionality being less than stellar is problematic too. I use Siri more than just about any means of interaction on my Apple Watch and if she didn't work as well as she does, I might've have ditched the watch altogether.

2. Lloydbm41 Suspended

Lloydbm41

Not sure why this would surprise anyone? It is running Tizen. Very few companies and developers will spend the time and money to develop for a platform only a few people use. The sooner Samsung dumps Tizen completely, the more watches they'll sell. I would have bought the S2 is it had been Android Wear and still utilized that twisting bezel. It works perfectly.

3. Sevanw Suspended

Sevanw

Yeah I really believe you were considering a purchase. Really no end to your hate. Show me the reviews were they call this device junk. According to iVerge, it's a clinic in what Smartwatches should be like. In fact they want the industry to go in Samsung's direction. Smart and intuitive.

4. GadgetSN, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015

GadgetSN macrumors 6502

Go away.

Try google and you tube or is that too difficult for you. Other people seem to be able to find reviews that arent directly linked on this thread. Thinking about it, it might be a big ask for you.

Yes I would have bought this if any good. I liked the rotating bezel function. For me this woukd have been similar to buying a 10p sweet. I have no brand loyalty because it doesn't matter to me. I just want premium products. FYI I own an Edge Plus.

5. JaySoul macrumors 68030

JaySoul

The hardware is supposed to be great, but the software is supposed to be a mess when using apps etc.

Read post #26 - they sum up what Android Central podcast said about it. They were really disappointed with Tizen.

6. AppleRobert thread starter macrumors 603

Isn't it compatible with iPhones which I suppose would lend hope for developers to embrace the watch more than if it wasn't compatible?

7. JackieInCo Suspended

Until the app support for Tizen improves which it won't, I won't be buying another Gear S anything. I stopped wearing my Gears S 2 after barely three months because the apps are worthless in the store.

8. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

No, not compatible with iPhones.

9. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Android Central's review summary of the S2:

10. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

I will be getting one of these for Christmas...the reviews are promising...seems to be an excellent watch especially if you have a Samsung device

11. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

If you build a nice looking classic round watch is needs a crown IMHO..

Side note I'd like to see more Tizen out of Samsung I don't want a mobile industry that is Android and iOS only. I want the big boys pushing WP and Tizen and let to OSS community keep going with Ubuntu Touch and Sailfish in the end I want options.

12. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

13. Sevanw Suspended

Sevanw

Overall reviews have been very positive despite the usual suspects spewing their hate. Very fluid UI, and everyone loves the rotating bezel. There's not another UI as intuitive. The apps are lacking at the moment compared to the other wearable OS's, but for me, I want to see a bigger size.

14. Mxbzz macrumors 6502

I returned mine last week but am debating whether or not to pick up a 3G model next month.

Major pitfalls for the Gear S2 were S Voice (TERRIBLE if you have friends with uncommon names, also cannot distinguish background noise vs your voice), the delay between S Voice and command execution (can take up to 45 seconds just to start a timer) and lack of third-party apps.

I have confidence that all three can be addressed in future updates, which is why I'm still contemplating on getting the S2 again. The UI feels fluid and the rotating bezel makes a lot of sense. It feels like it has SO much potential but Samsung has a lot of work to do. I already get the impression that Samsung is not doing enough with advertising, almost making this feel like the S2 was an afterthought. Hopefully they continue enhancing the S2 and not abandon it.

15. JackieInCo Suspended

Good luck with the apps. It's running Tizen so there will be very little support as there was with the past Samsung Gear watches.

I stopped wearing my Gear S 2 three months after buying because there never was any real app support for the thing. Samsung should go with Android wear at least.

16. Sevanw Suspended

Sevanw

It just came out. How did you but it 3 months ago?

17. JackieInCo Suspended

Gear S 2 is last years watch. I bought it in February.

18. Sevanw Suspended

Sevanw

Ummm, no. Please research. Me thinks you told a fat one.

19. Mxbzz macrumors 6502

Last year's watch was the Gear S (the one with the huge curved screen)

20. JackieInCo Suspended

That's right. I just got out the box to look. That's how long it's been since I used the stupid thing.

21. Sevanw Suspended

Sevanw

Really? You couldn't tell the difference between a big curved screen and a brand new round watch? Riiiight.

22. JackieInCo Suspended

I know the difference. I forgot that old one wasn't named the Gear S 2 till I got out the box to check. Got it?

23. Sevanw Suspended

Sevanw

You thought a new thread would be talking about an old watch? You didn't bother to read OP, and still commented? Umm, OK.

24. JackieInCo Suspended

Obviously you don't understand. Just drop it.