Samsung HD103UJ or HE103UJ, and other questions.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bengt77, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

A few days ago I ordered the OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro triple interface (USB, FW400 and FW800) dual hard drive enclosure and am now looking for two hard drives to put in there. As the person that started this thread, I too am seriously considering the Samsung F1 HD103UJ. But while looking for the lowest price, I came across the HE103UJ drive, which is listed as a Samsung F RAID series drive. As I will be using the two drives in RAID1 mode, do I need to get the HE103UJ? The only difference I can find between the two models is the one letter and the price; the RAID model is 50% more expensive. Why is this, and what are the actual differences?

Also, am I right in assuming that I can use the OWC dual drive enclosure I mentioned above in RAID1 mode by creating a mirrored RAID set in Disk Utility? As it is, the enclosure doesn't seem to support hardware RAID1, so this would be the only way to still achieve it. Is my assumption right?

If it's possible to set it up like that, is it possible to use the mirrored drives on another computer as well, as two mirrored drives? Or will they only be seen as a RAID1 set on the computer where I set them up that way? If the latter is the case, could I partition both drives into two, non-equally sized volumes each, and use the corresponding volumes to set up two RAID1 sets? One set for use on my iMac, the other set for use on my MacBook?

Sorry for all the questions, but it'd be great if some of you guys could answer a few of them. Thanks in advance.

EDIT 1: Just googled for the differences between the HD103UJ and HE103UJ drives and found my answer here and here. The conclusion is that the cheaper HD103UJ drive is actually faster than it's RAID class brother, the HE103UJ. Sure, you only get 3 years warranty, as opposed to 5 years. But this 2 year difference is not worth the 50% higher price tag, in my opinion. Having found the answer to my first question, though, my other questions still stand.

EDIT 2: I just found a 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 drive (model number ST31000340AS) for a price that's dead center between those of the two Samsung drives I mentioned above. It comes with a 5 year warranty, too. Is this drive a better choice, ultimately?

2. Bengt77 thread starter macrumors 68000

Bengt77

3. apthai macrumors member

I've never used the Samsung drives before and have no experience with them. As with the Seagate model, I've used seagate before and have never had a problem with them.

If I was to decide, I would give Samsung a try just because it's cheaper and I haven't heard any horror stories about them yet. Also as you said, it comes with a 3-year warranty.

Now on to the the RAID. I'm pretty confident that if you did a software raid-1 with the 2 drives, only that computer will see it correctly. If you want it to be raid-1 for every computer you plug it into then you would need hardware raid as the hardware will hold the configuration.

4. Bengt77 thread starter macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Thanks for your reply. I will go for Seagate, though. Over the last couple of days, I have read quite a lot of negative feedback on the Samsung drives. Too bad, as they're the fastest 1TB drives available right now.

And what you write about software RAID1. Yeah, that's what I thought/expected. No big deal. Will see if it'll work.

Thanks again.

5. bumfilter macrumors regular

I'm thinking about buying the HD103UJ, what have you read about them? I hadn't found any bad reviews thus far.

6. worldburger macrumors newbie

Anyone on what people have read about the Samsungs? I had one which started getting bad sectors (they sent me a new one rather quickly). Would be interested to hear what anyone else has to say...

7. Pretzglico macrumors newbie

Hi Bengt77,

I am just about to set up a RAID 1 configuration and am contemplating in getting the Samsung HD103UJ but after seeing your posting, just wonder how do you like the Seagate? And if you would recommend Seagate, which Seagate model did you use?

Thanks.