Samsung I7500 vs iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Uh oh. Another iPhone competitor on the horizon!! Haha :rolleyes: I know it seems like we go through this every week.

But here she is, the Samsung I7500.
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/27/samsung-i7500-oled-handset-powered-by-android-dreams

Some major points
    • Uses Google Android
    • Uses OLED touchscreen
    • 5 megapixel camera
    • 8GB internal memory with up to 32GB external
    • no physical keyboard
    • slightly smaller than the iphone
    • to be released in June in Europe

The biggest thing that catches my eye is the OLED. I remember people were clamering for this before the iphone 3g came out. From what I remember there are 3 major benefits to OLED. Takes less physical space, uses less power, and provides a much clearer and more sharp picture. Correct me if I am wrong on this. But I know they are very expensive so I am waiting to see a price on this.

5mp camera also looks pretty good.

Thoughts?

2. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

I feel like Apple will be behind the times if they don't put an OLED screen in the next iphone!

3. off in the wood macrumors regular

I was just about to create my own thread on this....who says nobody uses the search :rolleyes:

Anyway, it looks/sounds good. I really don't care for the G1 and its slide out keyboard, but I wish the screen was at least 3.5 inches. 3.2 seems a little small to me.

IMO this is a bigger competitor than anything palm can produce

4. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I definitely used the search before I posted as well. :D

While I agree that this is a much better competitor than the G1, I'm not sure sure I agree that it will be better than the pre. In fact, I would have to disagree. The only major thing it has going for it is the OLED, which is a great 'oooo ahhh' feature, but I don't think I would exactly call it a game changer. besides that, it is just a more sleek and elegant version of the g1. And I guess I'm kind of biased against it because it uses android which has already tried and 'failed' (as in it didn't obliterate the iphone). The pre still has the potential to blow our minds because it is fresh, new and 'innovative'.

5. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

that phone is sexy... always like the screens on samsung phones... it will love its jizz factor if its t-mobile again though.

6. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I wouldn't view Android as a straightup iPhone competitor. It's a WinMo competitor. Google is giving away Android whereas MS is charging OEMs for WinMo.

I can see it in a couple of years where all the WinCE devices coming out of China are Android devices. Not necessarily a good image to have, but Google and their ad revenue would go through the roof converting the last set of people over to gmail/google maps.

7. 7on macrumors 601

7on

1700 AWS, so yes it'll be T-Mo.

If not, you'll be able to buy an European model and import it to the states and use T-mo's 3G.

8. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

samsung has some nice phones i guess... but when you put an OS on it like windows mobile it turns into an instable mess of lag.

i.e the Samsung Epix

9. war eagle macrumors 6502a

10. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

How the AMOLED handles bright light (outdoors for example) will be something to look at - am sure gizmodo/engadget pulled another AMOLED camera up on this recently.

11. Section10 macrumors newbie

Wait, the question really is, how does this NOT beat the iphone?
    Did you read the specs?

I know I love my iphone, but the samsung has ALL the things that the iphone has missing. MMS, OLED, waaaay better construction (easier take apart and managment) 5mp camera, and of course the fact its on tmobile which is far more reasonable for service.

I think Ill be seriously looking into them. I also have a samsung Behold which is a smaller version of i7500 (without a lot of the good stuff) but i can tell that samsungs phone have gotten really good.
    I switch back and forth with iphone and behold and am pleased with both, but overall iphone for its browser but I can see that the iphone isnt ALL that, they're behind in many areas for being the best phone.