Samsung installs root kits on the computers they sell

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JoeG4, Mar 30, 2011.

1. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

2. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

In all honesty, this makes no sense. I would imagine that the Samsung rep had no idea what he was talking about. It's not a root kit either, or anything like it - just a keylogger. These laptops are almost year old and you're telling me no one had found this before? Fishy.
    *waits for impending 10 page flame thread*

3. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

How the hell is this even legal? Sony installed a root-kit and got a $575 million dollar fine. I can't wait to see what happens to Samsung if this was deliberate.

4. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

Way to kneejerk without any research on your end. No one has confirmed this except this 'reputable' article writer. Reeks of total crap.

5. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

Judging by reviews of this laptop it was released in ~June 2010. You're telling me no one else has found this in almost a year?
    Can't even name the software? Possibility of it being pirated and bringing the keylogger along with it?
    Well your software detected it?
    This conclusion is based on?
    This guy holds a "masters of information assurance" and he simply removes a keylogger and assumes that there was no rootkit or something else undetected? I've never heard of any security inclined individual that would do something like that.
    What? Sense does not make here.
    How weird.
    Sounds like the supervisor didn't know what they were talking about.

His business looks real reputable http://www.nesecc.com/
    So we have a hack-job IT security consulting firm business site with no content and a part time professor or guest lecturer at University of Phoenix.

6. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Confirmed: Samsung is Not Shipping Keyloggers

An update:

GFI Labs, the makers of the antivirus software, have somewhat graciously issued a mea culpa, but I'm really interested in seeing how Network World and the original article's author handle this.

7. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

What a surprise, too bad the damage is already done.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I have roots getting into my sewer pipes in my backyard. Where can I buy one of these root kits.

9. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

What damage? Multiple sources have come forward saying that it's a false positive, and the whole story was BS after all. Even Samsung themselves came forward very shortly after these reports started spreading and immediately began looking into it. If anything, I think they handled this very well. From the article here:

10. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

How many people see something in the news, form an opinion, and then never look into it again?

11. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

With something like the iPhone "Antenna-gate", you might be right. That was all over the news everywhere, even on the major TV news. This Samsung issue was barely a story in the tech news world, let alone anything bigger. I don't doubt you are right about there being people who form ill-informed opinions based on stuff like this. But for there to be any meaningful damage from something like this, it has to be a much bigger story than this one was.

I just asked a handful of my friends over IM if they heard anything about this, and not one had. A few of these people are pretty tech-savvy, and even they heard nothing about this. In fact, if it weren't for this thread, it would be completely forgotten by me.

12. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

Fair enough, I made that assumption based on the Reddit / other news site comments. Probably not the best place to draw conclusions.