Samsung Introduces Siri Rival 'Bixby' Ahead of Galaxy S8

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 20, 2017 at 7:51 AM.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Samsung today officially announced Bixby, a new intelligent interface for its devices, starting with the upcoming Galaxy S8.

[​IMG]
    Galaxy S8 renders leaked by Evan Blass

Samsung said Bixby will be "fundamentally different" than virtual assistants like Siri and Cortana in that it will be deeply integrated within apps. The interface will be able to support almost every task that an app is capable of performing using conventional touch commands, rather than just a few selected tasks.
    Samsung added that Bixby will be intelligent enough to understand commands with incomplete information and execute the commanded task to the best of its knowledge, and the interface will then prompt users to provide more information and "take the execution of the task in piecemeal."

Samsung said Bixby, at its core, is about removing friction. The interface will have a dedicated button on the left side of the Galaxy S8, and its supposed completeness, contextual awareness, and cognitive tolerance is designed to make using the smartphone more seamless and intuitive.

Dr. Injong Rhee, Samsung's head of research and development for software and services, speaking with The Verge:
    Bixby will initially be limited to ten preinstalled apps on the Galaxy S8. The intelligent interface will gradually expand to Samsung's other smartphones, and even its other products like TVs, wearables, and air conditioners, while Samsung plans to open up Bixby to third-party apps in the future.

Article Link: Samsung Introduces Siri Rival 'Bixby' Ahead of Galaxy S8

2. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

3. hlevolve macrumors member

hlevolve

Apple needs to move this direction with Siri... and quickly...

4. atxknepp macrumors newbie

atxknepp

All that I can think of is James Franco from The Interview talking about his dead dog Digby and the North Koreans being unamused.

5. Nozuka macrumors 6502a

Not sure how many developers will actually invest time in a samsung-only solution... something like this needs to be on every android device to get widespread support.

6. GeneralChang macrumors 65816

I can't think of a single activation keyphrase involving that name that doesn't sound a little ridiculous. Maybe they were going for "stuffy butler" vibes with that name.

7. VulchR macrumors 68000

VulchR

Oh my, 'Bixby' sounds about as charismatic as the MS Office 'Clippy' assistant....

[​IMG]

8. Avieshek macrumors 6502

Avieshek

9. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

...or:

[​IMG]

"Don't take too long."
    "I never do."

10. Relentless Power, Mar 20, 2017 at 8:07 AM
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 8:33 AM

Relentless Power macrumors 604

Relentless Power

I was thinking more Bill Bixby from the Hulk in the late 70's.

Anyways, I'm curious to see what Bixby has to offer and the differences over Siri. More so, what can developers do with Bixby, being it's Proprietary for Samsung and not Android as a whole unit.

11. nburwell macrumors 68030

nburwell

My thoughts exactly. It's really disappointing that Siri has been on iPhones since the 4s and it's still worse off than the other virtual assistants now out there.

12. skinned66, Mar 20, 2017 at 8:24 AM
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 8:49 AM

skinned66 macrumors 6502a

skinned66

13. TheralSadurns macrumors 6502

DAMN IT... I cam here to post the exact same image...
    alas... at least someone had the exact same idea... that's the important thing!

14. coolfactor macrumors 68030

What direction is that?
    • A dedicated button? (disagree)
    • Contextual-awareness within apps? (big time agree!)
    --- Post Merged, Mar 20, 2017 at 8:37 AM ---
    Give some example of how it's "worse" and then we can talk.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 20, 2017 at 8:39 AM ---
    You're not in the target demographic then? The name was chosen by vote. I agree, "adults" are going to sound silly saying that name in public. :p

15. michaelant macrumors member

michaelant

16. 69Mustang macrumors 68040

69Mustang

That's what has my curiosity piqued. I want to see how much leeway Samsung gave the team from Viv. From Samsungs "marketing driven" description (grain of salt and all that) it sounds like the Viv team got to stretch their legs a bit.

17. miniroll32 macrumors 6502a

miniroll32

Man, I thought Siri and Cortana sounded bad...

18. Jeremy1026, Mar 20, 2017 at 10:19 AM
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 10:30 AM

Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Honestly, Samsung only solution is about as far reaching as an iOS only solution.

Edit: Its actually 2x as effective as an iOS solution, per market share estimates.

19. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

Tim Cook should have bought this company the second they announced "SIRI 2.0" now apple is scrambling to catch up

20. thekeyring macrumors 68030

Not a bad USP but I've got to wonder how many developers will use the API. It could change, but so far Samsung haven't managed to even fill their App Store with enough apps to feel confident about ditching Google Play.

Also, Bixby is a terrible name, but I suppose we'll get used to it.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 20, 2017 at 11:34 AM ---
    No they're not. We have no idea what they are working on for Siri, and what they're going to announce at WWDC, or roll out over the next few years.

21. HJM.NL macrumors 6502a

HJM.NL

Siri can now set timers in 12 different languages :rolleyes:

22. jinnj macrumors member

Know why that number is worthless? How many Samsung devices will get Bixby? Remember they make A LOT of ****** phones as well. Also how many carriers will allow the old phone to get the update.

23. conceptvbs123 macrumors newbie

The big news isnt about it being on the phone.

The big new is its potential to be on all of Samsung's devices. Also, they are opening it up to third party developers.

The other big news about this is the Viv technology: the auto-programming AI that creates its own flowcharts and algorithms. You dont have to teach it all the commands or scenarios. It will figure out what you are trying to do before you realize it yourself. All of this technology applied to all of their products They will also roll this tech out into cars (Harmon/Kardon acquisition). I dont think Apple has anything to compete with them in terms of product diversity and scope. They need to start partnering up or they will be left behind.

24. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

25. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

It is a McRumors members trend around here ti whine about everything. I have learned it to ignore it.
    I have seen a lot of Siri versus Googles assistant, versus Cortana versus what not side by side comparison out there. The differences are really minimal. All of them do have their own pros and cons. I really can't tell one is better then the other. But hey, like I said it is a trend around here.