Samsung la26r71wdx

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Boika, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Boika macrumors regular

Can a MBP hookup to a Samsung la26r71wdx to use as a monitor. [​IMG]

Thanks

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

That's an HD TV right? And with a quick google it says it has:

Samsung LA26R71WDX WHITE LCD TV with Built-In HDTV
    Tuner - High Definition resolution (1366 x 768), 1 x HDMI
    Input, 2 x Component In, 1 x S-Video in, 1 x A/V (RCA) In, 1 x
    15-pin D-sub PC In, 1 x Antenna In, 1 x Headphone Out, 1 x
    HD15 / PC Audio Input, 8ms response time, 3000:1 contrast,
    178 degree viewing angle, On / Sleep Timer.Dimensions:
    770x640x190Weight: 14Kg

So in other words and based solely on this information, yes. But through a DVI-VGA adapter and the results of doing that could look anything from awful to acceptable.

3. Boika thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, so the dvi to vga adapter comes with the MBP... right?, but in buying this as a monitor i risk that the picture might be a bit dodgy? (how dodgy are we talking)

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There are two separate issues...

1) The TV may refuse to provide native resolution. TVs are very non-standard in the way they communicate with computers, and what resolutions your Mac thinks the TV ought to have are wildly unpredictable.

This is rarer on VGA, but it does happen. In this case, the biggest problems are that you lose real estate and you get a distorted picture (e.g. 1024x768 instead of 1366x768... this can actually be useful, on the other hand, when you want to play 4:3 movies stretched).

There are programs like SwitchResX (works for me, but others have had difficulty) that are sometimes successful at addressing this when you don't get the native resolution out of the box (I didn't, but after using SwitchResX, I now have 1366x768 and I can also use 1024x768 for watching 4:3's).

2) That VGA is an analog signal. This is actually a very, very, very minor issue. VGA signals look just fine in this resolution.

5. Boika thread starter macrumors regular

Ok thanks heaps for your help, coincidently i was just flicking through a catalog and they have the same tv advertised and it says "PLUG YOUR NOTEBOOK INTO THE TV AND WORK ON TWO SCREENS" And pictured is the tv along with a 15.4" HP notebook. So in seeing that should i be more confident that it wont be a big issue?

6. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Bear in mind that the pixels of a TV are going to be larger, so if you're viewing the TV from a short distance away (as you would at a desk), it's not going to look very nice.

That said, I've got a 23" Samsung hooked up to my 12" PB for watching movies. It's not a bad picture, but the 3 m of VGA cable between them doesn't help the quality (you'll see a what looks like a shadow on everything). Not an issue watching video from seats across the room, but not the best for use as a computer monitor. That said, with a shorter, high quality cable, it will look better, and might be passable.

In the end, I think the pixel size is the real limitation.

7. pizzacake macrumors member

8. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

On another review site someone claimed that the HDMI connection won't work from a computer, maybe something to do with HDCP?

9. Boika thread starter macrumors regular

on google i found
    Will the hdmi input give a clearer picture?

10. Boika thread starter macrumors regular

Im also happy to get this model "la26r71bdx" if that one is any more compatible?

11. pizzacake macrumors member

12. Boika thread starter macrumors regular