Samsung LCD losing brightness?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by macau, Aug 1, 2011.

1. macau macrumors newbie

I purchased a MBA 13/i7 about 10 days ago. Over the past few days I’ve noticed I’ve had to progressively increase the brightness setting on the LCD. When I first started using it I mostly worked with it about 4 below max, and lately I’ve had to wind it up to max or 1 below max.

I’m not exactly sure why this is happening.

I’ve been on the phone with the Apple tech people, and we’ve reset the PRAM and done a few other things.

They suggested I take it into an Apple store, and if there’s a problem they’d exchange it.

Disappointing, because otherwise it’s a great little machine.

Has anyone else experienced such a problem, or have any suggestions.

Display model: LTH133BT01A03

2. PaulWog Suspended

If there is truly a problem (and it's not just your eyes varying from day-to-day), then you should take it into an Apple store.

This is what I would base your return on:

If, when comparing your model with another model or two in the store, you notice that your model is actually dimmer/less bright than the other models... well, then return it for a different one. If, however, your model is the same as the others at each setting, then don't bother making a return.

So simply take it in to make a direct side-by-side comparison. Make sure auto-brightness is off on every model you are comparing.

3. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Is your screen auto-dimming? Thats a selection in the Displays Preference Panel. I've never heard of these screens dimming quickly like that. Maybe your eyes are just adjusting?

4. macau thread starter macrumors newbie

I've always had the auto-dimming thing disabled.

Anyway, after re-booting it a few more times, it seems to have fixed itself. The maximum brightness is like it was before.

I assume there was some sort of software glitch that was limiting my maximum display brightness. Strange.