Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Those are just the two states of a bit.

Bit rates are metric. mbps, kbps.

The crystal clock that drives the CPU to process those bits... is well metric in nature.
1 MHz = 1,000,000 Hz.
1 GHz = 1,000,000,000 Hz.

How? Nobody has explained to me how a system that works in binary is metric in nature.

Curun

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
How? Nobody has explained to me how a system that works in binary is metric in nature.
I don't know how to explain better in this medium. You will have to research elsewhere.

Memory addressing scales by powers of 2, yes. But that is only one component.

Everything is metric in nature. It's an internationally accepted system of counting and measurement.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Consumers have pretty much lived with smaller space after "formatting," but it would be fairly nice if a company came out with a phone and stated that you have 16gb of space available out of the box. Meaning, they put in a 24gb chip or whatever it would take and space available would be what you thought.

Its not a lie, it is the norm, however.

Curun

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
Consumers have pretty much lived with smaller space after "formatting," but it would be fairly nice if a company came out with a phone and stated that you have 16gb of space available out of the box. Meaning, they put in a 24gb chip or whatever it would take and space available would be what you thought.

Its not a lie, it is the norm, however.
This is a widely propagated myth.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Everything increases but the storage stays at 16GB.

When will 32GB become standard?

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
Everything increases but the storage stays at 16GB.

When will 32GB become standard?

More like everything will stay at 16GB because OEMs are pushing cloud services hard.

I'm sure many consumers would appreciate the ability to store large amounts of data locally.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
More like everything will stay at 16GB because OEMs are pushing cloud services hard.

I'm sure many consumers would appreciate the ability to store large amounts of data locally.

I don't see how one could complain about having extra local storage. Its pretty ridiculous considering the cost difference between the parts

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
That doesn't bode well for the idea that Samsung "de-bloated" TouchWiz....

I'd be more concerned about that than the standard practice of ignoring OS installs when quoting storage space.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012

OK, when you consider a Gigabyte (GB) you think 1,000 Megabytes (MB), right? Not exactly the case. 1 GB SHOULD actually be 1074 MB BUT because it's easier to market it as 1,000 MB they came up with MiB (MebiBytes) to reflect the BINARY (how the computer reads it) size. So, 1 GB is actually 1074 MiB (MebiByte) to reflect the binary size. The drive would be 1 GB in size but it's actually a smaller size as Windows (and some other OS'es) read it in binary. This is why ALL drive manufacturers state on the packaging that formatted capacity may be less.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
So according to this article the S5 actually has 10.7 GB of usable storage.

http://www.appy-geek.com/Web/ArticleWeb.aspx?regionid=4&articleid=19729142

I suppose it's not as bad as we first thought.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada

khha4113

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2013
Lie? No.

Seriously, they knew this was a problem. I even read/saw that some S4 models came with a 8GB microSD? Sorry, can't remember the link.
You mean 8GB internal storage? That's Galaxy S4 Mini, not S4 (which has 16GB as standard)
http://www.samsung.com/levant/consumer/mobile-phones/mobile-phones/smart-phones/GT-I9190ZWATHR-spec

My issue (this goes for Apple & Sony too) is why not make 32GB standard?

Please don't tell me Samsung is waiting for Apple to make that move.
HTC One and One Max have already had 32GB as standard, but they have no microSD card slot as GS4.

kdarling

macrumors P6
So according to this article the S5 actually has 10.7 GB of usable storage.

http://www.appy-geek.com/Web/ArticleWeb.aspx?regionid=4&articleid=19729142

Thanks for the info. Incorrect stories always speed around the world, but corrections rarely catch up.

--

Another thing to factor in, is that Android apps are generally 2 to 6 times smaller than their iOS counterparts, partly because the latter must include more graphics resolution versions.

In other words, it takes a lot less storage space for the same number of apps. So 10GB on Android is equivalent to at least 20GB of free app space on iOS, and perhaps much more.

Videos and music space requirements would be similar, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.