Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dpavid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2004
Mililani, Hawaii
Got dual M8 monitors from Amazon lightning deal, workspace is terrific. Can these be daisy chained together for one TB cable, or do I need to sacrifice two ports on the MBP to get this to work?

I have a CalDigit TS3 Plus Thunderbolt 3 Dock. How can I consolidate all the cables into one cable into my MBP? I really want everything plugged into one dock and then just use one. I thought I tried all the port combinations. They only work directly on MBP and need to bypass the dock. What am I doing wrong?

Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 11.27.26 AM.png

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
You should be able to run two 4K monitors off of the dock. I'm not sure of the ports that your specific dock has, but I'm currently running two displays off my OWC dock, along with ethernet, an external Thunderbolt SSD and wired keyboard and mouse (each on USB-A), with only a single cable connected to my MBP.

My monitors are each connected to a separate downstream Thunderbolt port on the dock each through a USB-C to HDMI adapter.

kbright1892

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
Yes, I use that dock with my 2019 16" and will be testing it with my new M1 Max when it gets here tomorrow. You'll have to connect one monitor to the DisplayPort on the dock and the other will connect to the Thunderbolt port with some kind of converting cable like USB-C to HDMI or USB-C to display port. I use this cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RY75V7Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I actually use two of those because I have a triple 4K setup, but one has to connect directly to the computer. You can't do that with the M1 Pro since it only supports 2 externals without using something like DisplayLink.

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
Yes, I use that dock with my 2019 16" and will be testing it with my new M1 Max when it gets here tomorrow. You'll have to connect one monitor to the DisplayPort on the dock and the other will connect to the Thunderbolt port with some kind of converting cable like USB-C to HDMI or USB-C to display port. I use this cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RY75V7Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I actually use two of those because I have a triple 4K setup, but one has to connect directly to the computer. You can't do that with the M1 Pro since it only supports 2 externals without using something like DisplayLink.
Please let us known how it goes. I've been thinking of picking up a Caldigit TS3 Plus.

dpavid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2004
Mililani, Hawaii
Please let us known how it goes. I've been thinking of picking up a Caldigit TS3 Plus.
It works great. Just had to figure out what ports to use. I hijacked my wife's TS3+ while I wait for a TS4, element hub, and connect 10G to get back in stock to order.

kbright1892

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
I have the same experience as dpavid. I plugged it in after I migrated everything over and everything works great. Even better, I can plug the dock and the extra monitor in on the left side. I couldn't do that on my 2019. The 3rd monitor had to be plugged in on the opposite side due to bandwidth limitations. It appears that each port on the M1 Max has its own Thunderbolt controller instead of one per side. And best yet, no fan noise! That definitely wasn't the case with the Intel. Just driving the monitors would kick the fans in with nothing else in use. Heaven forbid I compile something.

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
I have the same experience as dpavid. I plugged it in after I migrated everything over and everything works great. Even better, I can plug the dock and the extra monitor in on the left side. I couldn't do that on my 2019. The 3rd monitor had to be plugged in on the opposite side due to bandwidth limitations. It appears that each port on the M1 Max has its own Thunderbolt controller instead of one per side. And best yet, no fan noise! That definitely wasn't the case with the Intel. Just driving the monitors would kick the fans in with nothing else in use. Heaven forbid I compile something.
Can you drive two displays using the TS3+ dock? One via TB and the other via DP?

kbright1892

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
Can you drive two displays using the TS3+ dock? One via TB and the other via DP?
Yes, that is my exact setup. I have two monitors connected to the TS3+ and one more connected directly to the MBP.

Edit to add: All 3 monitors are 4K@60hz running scaled resolution to look like 2560*1440.

Reactions: Blue Sun

brudiaz

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2023
Hi! by any chance how did you connect it to your mac? I have the macair m1 2020 and the Samsung M8. I jsut want the best resolution and being able to use it for zoom meetings. What should i buy?

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Hi! by any chance how did you connect it to your mac? I have the macair m1 2020 and the Samsung M8. I jsut want the best resolution and being able to use it for zoom meetings. What should i buy?
U don’t need anything further. Just plug in the USBC cable

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
Got dual M8 monitors from Amazon lightning deal, workspace is terrific. Can these be daisy chained together for one TB cable, or do I need to sacrifice two ports on the MBP to get this to work?

I have a CalDigit TS3 Plus Thunderbolt 3 Dock. How can I consolidate all the cables into one cable into my MBP? I really want everything plugged into one dock and then just use one. I thought I tried all the port combinations. They only work directly on MBP and need to bypass the dock. What am I doing wrong?

View attachment 2036789
How do you like the dual m8 setup?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.