Samsung made a nice phone

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by zbarvian, Aug 29, 2012.

1. zbarvian macrumors 68010

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/29/3277005/samsung-ativ-s-windows-phone-8

I didn't think they were capable of it, but this actually looks really nice. Kudos to the hardware designers and decision for actual brushed metal, and the fact that Samsung is taking Windows Phone 8 seriously.

I still don't like how it's a Super AMOLED display, though, we need to move away from Pentile configurations. Regardless, though, what are your guys' thoughts on this device?

2. polotska macrumors 6502

Okay I guess.

I’m more excited by the prospect of a Nokia WP8 device. Too bad Nokia is probably a lost cause.

3. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

Samsung's fast-follow strategy was damaged when the Apple trial ended, hopefully it's what Nokia needs to make a comeback.

4. zbarvian thread starter macrumors 68010

Same here. I'm still skeptical about how the phone looks with WP8. The rounded edges and curved nature of the phone run contrary to the squares and corners in WP8. That's why I thought the Lumia series was so attractive, but we'll have to wait for Nokia's next announcement.

5. polotska, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012

polotska macrumors 6502

Yeah, I didn’t buy one as I’m a committed Verizon Wireless guy, but I’ve been very impressed with the Lumia 900s that I’ve played with, and I thought Windows Phone was a nice, credible OS—for me, a much better alternative to iOS than Android.

6. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

I agree it looks nice. But honestly i dont notice this whole "pentile display" talk, From i understand its really too visible when the PPI is over 300 anyway.
    Iv seen the GS3 screen and i prefer it over the ONE X.

7. zbarvian thread starter macrumors 68010

Actually, I hear that the new Note II discarded the Pentile technology, hopefully that means the same for this device...

8. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

This could very well be my next Windows Phone. Looks like it's following in the footsteps of the Omnia 7 which is a fantastic phone.

9. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Nice phone, brushed aluminum is a nice high quality touch. Can it save Nokia though? I think Windows has made awesome progress with their mobile OS in the last year. I know their app store is getting there. I think eventually it'll be a prime contender, but I don't see the Windows mobile OS phones selling in the numbers like the iPhone does, and don't even need to consider Android as a whole as phones like the GSII and III sold a *****load.

It has the potential, but we'll have to see in the new few years the % they hold in the market.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

11. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

The pen tile issues were overcome in the Galaxy S2 series phones which were tagged as "Super AMOLED Plus" which got past the barrier of the well known issues of the non plus displays.

When I bought the Samsung I have now I was comparing it to the HTC One S on T-Mobile. The deciding factor was the higher quality screen and expandable memory. I really liked the One S, but the One X on AT&T was far superior.

Im still in contract with T-Mobile and have been happy with them, I just wish the iPhone could be used on the AWS bands that T-Mobile offers.

12. MacFather macrumors 6502a

MacFather

sorry Apple, this brushed alu back looks better than those leaks with two strips of glass or plastic

[​IMG]

13. boomboom2 macrumors regular

Wow this phone looks 1000x better than the S3. Especially with all the brushed aluminum. I thought I was going to get a Nokia WP8 but this phone looks so nice.

14. matttye macrumors 601

Looks really nice actually, better than any of their existing phones!

15. Kranchammer, Aug 29, 2012

Kranchammer macrumors member

Very nice looking phone. I really like the brushed aluminum back, but I wonder how they managed to configure the antennas with an all-metal back like that.

Edit: It looks like the antenna is behind a plastic widget at the bottom of the phone.

16. Jb07 macrumors 6502

It looks great, but that is a really stupid name. Ativ S? Really?

17. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Going by the hardware and how the gui layout fits, it looks very nice. I'm interested in reading more on how well it works.

18. Dontazemebro, Aug 29, 2012

Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

mehh .... looks like an old woman's cigarette case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. cynics macrumors G3

I'm over brushed metals. Reminds me of ikea furniture....

20. zbarvian thread starter macrumors 68010

Stop...please...I can't unthink that now.

21. Technarchy, Aug 29, 2012

Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Looks pretty good. It's a bit large though.

It's good Samsung is taking Windows 8 seriously across all product lines.

Edit: Notice the metal back + NFC, which many claimed was impossible.

22. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Sorry but I think that's fugly. Not as bad as their shiny plastic but I'd still take a One X or Lumia over it any day.

23. scott craft macrumors 6502a

It's a decent looking phone. I'm glad to see Samsung making a top WP8. Between this phone and whatever Nokia offers us WP fans should have some tough decisions to make.

24. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Are we even sure it's a pentile display, as opposed to a "normal" AMOLED display?

25. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I don't it quite matches the Lumia or One X, but it's a huge leap for Samsung, and a good looking device in it's own right.

I'd prefer an LCD screen however.

[​IMG]