Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
Thanks for your reply.
I tried it out, but I don't think its on Toner Saver mode because the LED does not stay on. When I hold the button down it just prints a test page.

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
I downloaded the manual and it just says to press the Toner Saver mode/Cancel button and the green led light is supposed to turn on but nothing happens when I press the button. Do you guys think the printer is broken?
Is there a way to do it on the preferences? In Windows theres a Toner Saver option in the control panel but I couldn't find it on the System Preferences.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Be sure to hold the button down before switching the printer on (from the power switch), or it will print a test page instead. If that doesn't work, you might still be doing it wrong. It's possible that the printer is broken, too, I suppose. I don't think that the Mac drivers have a toner save setting like the Windows ones.

Also, I'm not sure if I've already said this, but make sure to use the DMG drivers and not the SIT drivers (they seem to work much better).

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
thanks for the reply matticus - but when i hold the button down while switching the printer on, both the red error light flashes and the green cancel light flashes and it doesn't let me print. Are you sure you are talking about the ML-1740?

andypress

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2003
Buffalo, NY
We've had the 1710 for about a year and a half. So far the page count is about 3,500. Toner hasn't really been a problem, you can find the refills on ebay for about 40(3 bottles worth 3k pages each). The only problem is that right now the drum(which normally get replaced when you buy a new toner cartdrige) seems to be wearing out a little. Other than that, there are a few small quirks, like the paper output tray. Toner save turns on on ours by just pressing the buttone on top for aobut 1 sec.

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
I am a freaking MORON. All I had to do was press and hold the button for about 2 seconds. If I hold it shorter than that, nothing happens, if I hold it longer than that a test page prints. Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for the help everyone.

nerdykarim

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2005
atlanta, ga
matticus008 said:
I believe you activate toner save by holding down the "cancel" button as you turn on the printer. It should then turn the LED on and will remember it from that point onward. Download the PDF manual from Samsung's web site if that doesn't work. If you're looking for OS X drivers, be sure to download the plain DMG one (the .SIT ones would not install properly as I recall, even though the installer would report a success).

If the printer is idle, you can just switch it off from the main at the rear of the printer, but you might as well just leave it on all the time. It doesn't consume any real amount of power while idling, and it will just spin up and print whenever you need it and then reenter power save mode a few minutes after you're done.

three things: first, the printer doesn't have to be turning on for you to get into toner save...just don't be in the middle of a print job (or else you'll cancel it)

second, the samsug ml-1740 is unbeatable when it comes to price. i got mine shipped in two days from buy.com for $60 USD. and i know people who used pricematching to bring the price down to $38 (after that 50.00 rebate)

third, toner refills from ebay are (allegedly) the cheapest way to fill the toner-my school bought me a toner so i haven't had to do this-but read some reviews online. (keep in mind that you only get a "starter toner" when you buy the printer and its not as full as a store-bought toner)

kj

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
nerdykarim said:
third, toner refills from ebay are (allegedly) the cheapest way to fill the toner
Yep.
I use toner refills for my ML-1510, not had a problem so far -- well, apart from the mess!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.