Samsung Monitors:245T, 275T or 305T

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by treehorn, Jan 23, 2008.

1. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

After two weeks of researching and deliberating, I think I have finally narrowed down my search for a monitor to go with my 'soon-to-arrive' 2.8 MacPro with a NVIDIA GeForce 8800. I'm leaning towards one of the Samsung T series, especially the 275T as a 30" might be a bit big (will go to B&H and check them out).

Aside from the usual day-to-day computer task, the primary use of the monitor would be video editing, Motion and DVD creation. Leaning away from ACDs due to the length of time since upgrade and lack of other inputs (one reason I would be tempted to go to 30" is that the monitor would possibly doing additional duty as TV in my home office).

Anybody have anything negative to say about this Samsung line in regards to video work? Are all sizes equally good, or is there a drop off in quality as they increase in size?

EDIT: I just read a review that mentioned the lack of inputs for the 305T (as well as problems with the DVI input in regards to being compatible with HD Protected sources), so I guess that's out of the running...

Don't do any thing resembling serious gaming so as long as it runs the occasional Gamehouse game...

Many thanks!

2. Toups macrumors regular

The 24, from what I have seen is a great display and the price is not too hard to swallow. I have found the pixel size to be near perfect, as the 27 has the same resolution but spreads out the space with slightly larger pixel size. Dell has the same happenings in their lineup of the BenQ re-branded to Dell monitors.

3. treehorn thread starter macrumors 6502

treehorn

That's what I was wondering...if it was the same resolution/number of pixels spread out over a larger area (some reviews make it sound yes, some not quite)

Ah the joy of the internet...too much information at our fingertips!

I was hoping the 27" would be the 'third bear' of the monitor series

4. Toups macrumors regular

A lot of users perfer the 27" due to the slightly large font/pixel size, but if your doing very detailed graphics, I would stick with the 24" which tends to look less "grainy" if you are within a few feet of the display.

5. SilverL macrumors member

If you are considering 30 inch LCDs, you should really take a look at the HP LP3065 display.
    I bought that in place of the 30 ACD and I honestly think it's just a better display. It doesn't look at "hot" as the ACD but it's color accuracy after calibration is spot on, it uses a latest generation S-IPS panel and has much faster refresh rates than the ACD.
    Good luck in your search!

6. conancn macrumors member

I'll get a 245T soon. After viewing all the BenQs, LGs, Apples, Dells, NECs, Samsungs, I ended up with getting a Samsung 245T. I think Samsung display is always somehow unique in its industry plus no dead pixel policy.

I'm still giving hope to Apple in the LV show at the end of this month for new displays.

7. treehorn thread starter macrumors 6502

treehorn

That one caught my eye after posting (due to unexpected spare time I've spent the afternoon watching Stardust and reading display reviews...brain tired now...glad tonight's shoot is Clay in SPAMALOT and nothing too mind taxing :)

Reviews look good, only drawback is the lack of inputs other than DV-I...which is seeming the norm in monitors that big (and if worse comes to worse there's always elegato eye or something like that). And there's a $100 rebate through the end of the month...so it would only be $1300

I'll have to go to B&H tomorrow and check out the HP and the Samsung 245T

Thanks all for help/advice (this is the one missing piece in my set up...)

8. benpatient macrumors 68000

We got the 275T a couple months ago and I must say it is a brilliant display. I'm really glad we didn't go with the 30" because until resolution independence happens, those pixels are just too small if you are using something like Aperture, which since I do design and photography is a real issue for me. (if you didn't know, Aperture doesn't zoom past 1:1, so a single pixel of data will never display larger than a single pixel on screen).

The 275T's pixels are large enough, and 1920x1200 seems to be plenty of pixels for me. If anything we might get another 275T at some point if we really feel like we need more screen.

we can also hook up our macbook to it, which you can't really do with a 30" display because of the resolution limitations.

If you're really stuck on getting a 30", consider the brand new dell 3008 model.

It's got a new-generation chipset that allows for multiple inputs, resolutions, on-screen display settings, and a lot of other things that have been missing on 30" displays up till now. it even has a next-gen DisplayPort connector, so it's future-proof for quite a while.

It does cost more than all of these other monitors, but it can display more than 100% of NTSC color, which is very, very rare, still, and that might be especially relevant to your needs.

The 275T is 92%, just FYI. It was also very happy to be calibrated and is the first LCD i've owned that does a better job than the old LaCie CRT monitors we used to rely on for color work. 2008 is the year that the sub $2500 LCD finally surpasses the CRT in every way.

9. sirris101 macrumors member

I have a 305T and love it. It doesn't have color adjustments on the monitor itself, but I've found it's spot on and I also using a ColorCAL calibrator. I choose the 305T over others due to price and better performance. The panel is newer and better than the 30" Cinema display.

I only needed one input, so that's ok with me. It is missing HDCP, but I have no use for that as I have a 40" Sony XBR LCD in the other room for entertainment purposes.

10. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

It will interesting to see how NEC's LCD3090WQXi compares to the new Dell 3008 once the NEC is released. The one good thing about all of this is that 2008 looks like the year that great LCD monitors for color work are finally available for us at reasonable prices!

http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/01/14/nec.lcd3090wqxi/

11. aneks macrumors regular

I had a 26" NEC wuxi and it was by far the best monitor I have ever used. I rate it over the eizos. We got them as part of very very very expensive Colour grading system that is deigned to be the final word in digital colour and because the operators didn't want the working monitors distracting from the $34,000 broadcast monitor swapped in smaller ones for the suite. The upshot of which was that I got to have one for a couple of months before I changed jobs. Just a fantastic image, great blacks really nice chroma !

12. treehorn thread starter macrumors 6502

treehorn

The 26 (well, 25.5 :) wuxi seems popular. It's out of stock at B&H darn it

Next week will have to make final decision (and pray the MacPro follows closely on its heel!)

13. treehorn thread starter macrumors 6502

treehorn

Question on the HP LP3065:

The height is given as 23.2 with the stand and 17 w/o the stand. Is the height with the monitor fully raised? can it be lowered (I only have 23" of space, and I can't believe that the stand is 6" high...seems a bit much, especially since ACDs and Samsung 30" displays are much lower)

14. jfera1985 macrumors newbie

Hello guys I know im really stupid for re awaking this thread its over a year and a half old but im hoping someone may have the answer for me. I recently bought a MacBook pro 13.3 Unibody. I already had a Samsung 275T since I had my desktop pc, and I was hoping this monitor would be compatible to run at native resolutions with my brilliant new macbook pro. Boy was I mistaken, the max resolution that im able to run is only 1920X1080 which looks like hell because the native is 1920X1200. When i try to adjust my resolution in my mac there is no resolution beyond 1920X1080 (which i dont want!!!) and for some reason the monitor only works with VGA not with DVI. And by the way im connecting this Monitor via the Mini display port to VGA adaptor and using Leopard 10.5. I thought possibly that samsung had made drivers for Mac but since I was new to MAC ive been told that MAC Rarely uses drivers, and even Samsung support told me that there is no drivers for MAC and that this monitor is compatible but he didnt know in what Resolutions. What do I do, am I stuck having to sell a Monitor which a Paid 900$ for only about a year ago or can someone please help me :(:(:(:(:(: I only replied to this post because I saw someone write that they have a 305T and that someone else bought a 245T with a MAC and have had no trouble

Any help is much appreciated

regards
    Julian

15. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

More questions.
    1. I assume you have an MDP->DVI adapter. Have you tried it with any other monitors that run up to the same res? Is it single or dual-link? Your DVI adapter could be bad.

2. Your monitor's DVI port works with other computers? Then your monitor's insides are screwy (it happens)

3. Can other MacIntosh computers with MDP attach to the monitor and run it correctly? If so, then the Macbook is the problem.

16. jfera1985 macrumors newbie

Well believe it or not this monitor never worked with DVI even on my desktop and I already returned it and samsung sent me a new one so i really hope it isn't the monitor...but even then I let that problem go because it also might have been a firmware problem with the 8800GT cards I had in my system. So VGA always worked at 1920 X 1200 and frankly to be able to tell the difference between DVI and VGA was not apparent to me. So I guess I'll have to try what you suggested but do you think its possible that the Monitor and MAC are just not compatible I really hope not because I would love to be able to see this screen with my MAC. :(:(