Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2011
Portugal
While Apple is trying to come up with something good, Samsung makes a dozen phones trying to get it right and use ads to attack Apple in the process.

Come on Samsung, stop wasting your time.

bumblehat

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Chicago
this is a really good ad. hits the iphone on all of its weaknesses.

It really is a great ad, there was another one like it when the 4S came out. Very effective.

Have any of you played with a Galaxy S3? It's a pretty amazing phone in its own right. Galaxy S3 + iOS would probably be perfect.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
Lol such a funny commercial. I just love the acting and how it perfect embodie how some die hard fanboys act. This vid has over 7000 likes.......Damn!

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
The number of mobile interface connectors Apple has introduced in the past 9 years:

The number of mobile interface cables Samsung has introduced in 9 years:

the point is that micro usb is a universal cable. got a camera? you probably have a micro usb cable. got a ps3? you probably have a micro usb cable. no device in the world, besides the iphone 5, uses the lightning cable at the moment. all of those apple accessories that have a 30 pin docking station became useless overnight.

Which is something Samsung wishes they had for their phones. If Fandroids were standing in line for the "GS3" when it first came out, would Samsung be ridiculing or discouraging them from doing it? I wonder...

i agree

...because having a technology that I still have less than a 50% chance of actually having coverage on, and talking on a device that is larger than my head, are TOTAL must-haves...

Oh wait! The iPhone 5 has those things! So I guess it's not a deal breaker after all.

If Samsung has to say "IT TOOK THEM THIS LONG" as their major gripe, well, it's kinda a moot point now. The 5 has these features now. Deal.

LTE was released in North America in 2010. Verizon had very decent coverage by 2011, so it is has been very useful to have since then and other phones have offered it. remember how steve jobs said 3.5" was the ideal size? guess he was wrong. glad apple learned from the rest of the handheld market that people wanted bigger screens. yes, it does matter when you are late to the game.

Don't want it.

Don't notice it.

That is good for you, but maybe not for other people.

See bold.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
They do get some of the things fanboys say down to a tee though.

Don't get me wrong, I know that both sides have fans and they each say silly stuff. "They make the coolest adaptors" is something I would expect to hear from an apologist :p

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
Ah so this is where some of the Fandroids have been hiding lately. Ever since the iPhone have been trumping Android devices in multiple categories and reviews I was beginning to wonder where they have been posting. Huddled in the corner with Samsung's ad declaring it as smart or amazing. :p

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
They do get some of the things fanboys say down to a tee though.

Don't get me wrong, I know that both sides have fans and they each say silly stuff. "They make the coolest adaptors" is something I would expect to hear from an apologist :p

Actually, that is something I don't quite understand. If you are going to change your adapter, why not micro usb? I'm sure they can come up with a reason and it does seem nice that it can be inserted either way but... doesn't micro usb make more sense?

doomfront

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
The only people who don't like this ad are iphone fanboys.

Haven't seen anything negative about it until I came here. Even regular iphone users thought it was funny.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Actually, that is something I don't quite understand. If you are going to change your adapter, why not micro usb? I'm sure they can come up with a reason and it does seem nice that it can be inserted either way but... doesn't micro usb make more sense?

Apple always make proprietary connectors. :(

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I commented on that video once and was instantly blocked! Wow, Samsung can't even take ANY criticism, they are so hurt from loosing in court that they have to be even MORE not very original by mocking the winner in an advert. It's typical Samsung, it's the 5 year old child that's thrown it's toys out the pram of the corporate world, it's a big cry baby, pathetic, and oh SSSSSSOOOOOOOOOO very jealous that NONE of it's products would ever have half the hype and hysteria about it as the iPhone and no one is ever going to queue up for a week to buy a Samsung POS.

Yeap that sums up my feelings of them I think.

Aragornii

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
lol, at least they didn't embarrass themselves again by running an ad in the middle of the Super Bowl bragging about how their device has a stylus.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
this ad is a perfect representation of how a company like samsung thinks

never miss an opportunity to bash apple in an ad..

..apple rarely, if ever, mentions the competition in one of their ads...its all about the phone and what it can do.

samsung is more concerned with what apple is doing than anything..its almost weird

Hi I'm a Mac and I'm a PC. Remember those commercials?

But you're right Apple never takes shots at the competition.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
1. There are a ton of different scenarios where one would need that adapter. The simplest one would be having multiple charging cables. Of course you will be using the lightning cable that came in the box, but what about that 30 pin you have in your car or office?
3. That is true. I expect the next big Samsung phone to increase in battery life to be more competitive with phones like the RAZR MAXX and iphone 5.
5. -You can't download something while doing something else
-Picture-in-picture video playback
-Background apps pause when you are running your main app. For example, if you start loading something in Safari, switch to messages, then go back to Safari, the website will not have loaded. Another example would be if you were uploading a file and switched to another app; the upload would get paused.

I see what you're saying, but an adapter isn't needed. I have a 3GS and one 30-pin charger. The new iPhone will come with a Lightning charger. No problem has been created.

Yes, if you invested into Apple's 30-pin accessory ecosystem, you'll need an adapter - but if you switch to Samsung, you'll need new accessories anyways, so there's no point in mentioning it.

But I see the issue with multitasking in iOS. The picture-in-picture seems more practical on the iPad than phone though.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Pretty bad ad, making fun of iPhone users isn't going to help you sell to them. Seems as if the effort is more concerned about what Apple is doing and achieving rather than selling what their product can do.

Apple adverts are much better.. simple to the point and tell me what I can do with the product.

I think a funny sarcy ad to make from apples point of view would be:

Have an ad that looks like your launching an app inside the iPad or iphone then the app is titled "Spot the difference" and it shows pictures of the iPhone then samsung mobiles, then the apple store and then the samsung store, then the packaging and cables, then finally at the end a "you are a winner!" title screen with a picture of a billion dollars in the background.

:D

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Hilarious. Does not matter which side you like better, that was funny.

Agreed, a little long, but I enjoyed it.

However, "is that a Samsung..." I think is wishful thinking. Not quite a household name for smartphones... more inclined to think I would hear, "is that an iPhone" or "is that an Android"

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011
Thanks for the link! very funny just like the one from last year.... but I'm still getting my iPhone 5 Friday! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.