Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
I would agree - though using the transparent touch-screen example may be a little premature. Until Samsung's iteration is installed in homes across America, I'll hold off on proclaiming them innovative in that area seeing as they haven't yet done anything DuPont or the others who came up with this tech hadn't already done.

----------

Doesn't mean Planar didn't say - "This is what we want built, and here's how to do it." - much like Apple does with their A# chips.

Samsung has extremely vast manufacturing infrastructure. They may have made the display, but that doesn't mean they designed it or any of the tech in it for that matter.

Ah, for you only one side is wrong, the one that say that Apple doesn't innovative

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Planar already has developed a transparent display.....

Come on, you can come up with at least one! Come on, dude!! Try harder!!

:D :D :D :D

PS - Planar to sue Samsung soon?

Obvious fact: TrentS doesn't read threads. Only select posts. Because if he read full threads - he wouldn't have posted this silly comment.

I would agree - though using the transparent touch-screen example may be a little premature. Until Samsung's iteration is installed in homes across America, I'll hold off on proclaiming them innovative in that area seeing as they haven't yet done anything DuPont or the others who came up with this tech hadn't already done.

----------

Doesn't mean Planar didn't say - "This is what we want built, and here's how to do it." - much like Apple does with their A# chips.

Samsung has extremely vast manufacturing infrastructure. They may have made the display, but that doesn't mean they designed it or any of the tech in it for that matter.

So it's only innovative if it's used? And used a lot?

And WOW can you just rationalize anything - can't you.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
If that building would have been built by Samsung, it would have been plastic.

Your response is funny because you contradict yourself and then have that jab at the end which automatically releases all credibility from this conversation. Samsung construction is one of the most well respected companies in terms of contracting thats why they have worked on some of the tallest building in the world. Samsung also builds warships too. Samsung has been doing construction and shipbuilding as well as electronics before Apples founders parents were even born.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_C&T_Corporation

JackieTreehorn

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Amsterdam
Wow, some of you are ridiculously blind. They are not market leaders in any of their products? Lets start with Samsung Electronics...

DRAM - 40.4 % market share (leader)
NAND flash - 40.4 % market share (leader)
Large LCDs - 26.0 % market share (leader)
Active Matrix OLEDs - 97 % markert share (leader)
Lithium Ion batteries - 18.7 % market share (2nd)
All Televisions -17.2 % market share (leader)
Mobile phones - 25 % market share (leader)

On top of that, they are the 2nd largest shipbuilder in the world, 14th largest insurance company, and 19th largest advertising company... if Samsung was it's own country, it's revenue would be the 35th largest economy in the world.

Several people on here underestimate Samsung... they spend more on R&D than apple, are granted more patents than Apple, and are gaining more market share than Apple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_top_United_States_patent_recipients

For those of you arguing the US company vs. Korean company thing, think about it for a second. What has Apple done for you and the US economy? They paid 3% of their revenue in taxes to the US government despite the US market being their biggest! What's the use when all of that money is locked into foreign accounts... its like the Facebook founder who delisted his US citizenship to keep his fortune. They do not care about you or the US economy so stop protecting them with your patriotism! All the REAL Apple US jobs are outsourced to China, in the meantime, the Korean company Samsung is looking to expand it's business in Texas and San Jose. Please don't bring in the US pride thing into allegiance-less nation-less multinational companies that only want the greens in your pockets. On top of that, Samsung hires and creates jobs for many of the korean people, they build research centers and factories all over South Korea, and give jobs to thousands of people in it's country. Although they have scandals and improper practices, the benefits to Korea and its people are tremendous. Is Apple doing the same in its home country ? I don't think so, they just employ thousands of Chinese workers, sit on a 100bilion capitalization that is used for NOTHING and congratulate themselves and shareholders that a bubble stock is going up at wall street.

McDonald's sells more food than El Bulli. In fact, they sell more food than all restaurants with >=3 Michelin stars combined. Britney Spears sells more albums than Maria Callas. In fact, she sells more albums than all classical singers combined.

That does not make Britney Spears a really good singer nor McDonald's a really good restaurant.

Oh, and citing Wikipedia pages does not make you an expert either.

steve119

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2012
Scotland, land of the haggis
Wow, some of you are ridiculously blind. They are not market leaders in any of their products? Lets start with Samsung Electronics...

On top of that, they are the 2nd largest shipbuilder in the world, 14th largest insurance company, and 19th largest advertising company... if Samsung was it's own country, it's revenue would be the 35th largest economy in the world.

Several people on here underestimate Samsung... they spend more on R&D than apple, are granted more patents than Apple, and are gaining more market share than Apple.

For those of you arguing the US company vs. Korean company thing, think about it for a second. What has Apple done for you and the US economy? They paid 3% of their revenue in taxes to the US government despite the US market being their biggest! What's the use when all of that money is locked into foreign accounts... its like the Facebook founder who delisted his US citizenship to keep his fortune. They do not care about you or the US economy so stop protecting them with your patriotism! All the REAL Apple US jobs are outsourced to China, in the meantime, the Korean company Samsung is looking to expand it's business in Texas and San Jose. Please don't bring in the US pride thing into allegiance-less nation-less multinational companies that only want the greens in your pockets. On top of that, Samsung hires and creates jobs for many of the korean people, they build research centers and factories all over South Korea, and give jobs to thousands of people in it's country. Although they have scandals and improper practices, the benefits to Korea and its people are tremendous. Is Apple doing the same in its home country ? I don't think so, they just employ thousands of Chinese workers, sit on a 100bilion capitalization that is used for NOTHING and congratulate themselves and shareholders that a bubble stock is going up at wall street.

^^^sponsored by Samsung.:p

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008

too much truth in this post. kudos to you sir.

sc4rf4c3

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
McDonald's sells more food than El Bulli. In fact, they sell more food than all restaurants with >=3 Michelin stars combined. Britney Spears sells more albums than Maria Callas. In fact, she sells more albums than all classical singers combined.

That does not make Britney Spears a really good singer nor McDonald's a really good restaurant.

Does your thinking apply to iPhones?

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
^^^sponsored by Samsung.:p

can you address his questions without mocking?

knightryda12

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012

What is your point? See the bottom of the wikipedia page for sources... I never touted to be an expert so again what is your point? Did you refute my argument that they are market leaders in several electronic fields? This was in response to the original statement that they are not the leader in anything. McDonalds is the leader in the FAST food market... which is the same as Samsung in those respective fields. Your argument is irrelevant..

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

Does your thinking apply to iPhones?

Exactly. How come this argument only 'applies" when it's about some other company. :rolleyes:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Obvious fact: TrentS doesn't read threads. Only select posts. Because if he read full threads - he wouldn't have posted this silly comment.

So it's only innovative if it's used? And used a lot?

And WOW can you just rationalize anything - can't you.

It's innovative if it fundamentally changes something about our everyday lives - which, ya I guess needs to be used a lot....

Not sure where the rationalizing comment comes from - I can refute arguments with fact if that's what you're getting at.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
It's innovative if it fundamentally changes something about our everyday lives - which, ya I guess needs to be used a lot....

Not sure where the rationalizing comment comes from - I can refute arguments with fact if that's what you're getting at.

There are a ton of innovations every day that never get adopted. Doesn't make them less innovative. I don't think you understand what innovative means.

And of course you can't see how you rationalize everything. But to suggest you do so with facts is just plain silly. It's as if you think we can't see your posts or post history :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
I know, right? Apple's shameless ripoff of this thing was so blatantly obvious.

:rolleyes:

No one is saying the Creative nomad looks like the iPod.

Apple copied the way you select and play music. Before, music players let you select next or back to play a song (rwd and fwd only). The creative player let you go up and down folders/playlists to select a song to play.

Apple COPIED Creative and a court made Apple PAY Creative for copying.

Apple copies lots but only pays when the other guy is a big company too. Apple loves to step on the little guys and copy them. (example, wifi sync icon and idea)

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Exactly. How come this argument only 'applies" when it's about some other company. :rolleyes:

But see - the problem with all of this is, in the case of McDonald's being good food, the case of Britney Spears being a good singer and the case of the iPhone being a good phone - THEY. ARE. ALL. SUBJECTIVE.

To many people, Britney Spears is an amazing singer. To others (myself included) she's just another pop-star, of which there are dozens. To some, McDonald's is great (though not great for you). To others, its cheap fast food.

The fact remains just because YOU think McDonald's sucks, doesn't mean you have the right to assume I think McDonald's sucks. The same applies to phones. I just find it fascinating that people who buy Android feel this overwhelming need to tell the world how amazing their phone is and how its FAR SUPERIOR to an iPhone. Just look at Samsung's marketing strategy. It's all about how its better than the iPhone. Well I'm happy Samsung feels that way - and I'm absolutely giddy that you love your Note II. But what I take offense to is Samsung (or you) telling me I'm an idiot for having an iPhone - that Apple is so evil and I'm mindless for not realizing what an awful, litigious corporate monster they are.

All these sales numbers say is that the iPhone is popular. And for someone to deny that the current smartphone revolution was started by Apple's introduction of the first iPhone is purely adamant denial.

The truth is, both of these companies WANT the legal battles. If either really had an intention of settling (one way or another) they would. All the publicity both get from being locked in battle with each other only serves to draw customers to their products. Look at what it's done even here - you have thread after thread with post after post vehemently defending one or the other. They created a passion around their products (something I don't necessarily understand - I like my Apple products because of the way they work and I'm open to trying other products and have). These extremely public legal proceedings only serve to further that narrative.

Lastly, and I'm sure I'll take heat from Samsung's loyal on this one: Samsung LOVES Apple's legal attention on them. They know it means Apple sees them as equals - and for a while Apple was the big player. They wouldn't settle for the world - settling wouldn't get them all this free publicity.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
You do know Apple is a software company first so by default that is where their patent concentration would be...it's not like this is news. This has been the case for over 30 years.

You do know even Apple's own employees say Software patents are stupid and no one should be able to own them.

From a NYT article:

an engineer, an Apple veteran, spoke up. “I would like to decline to participate,” he said, according to the lawyer who was at the meeting. The engineer explained that he didn’t believe companies should be allowed to own basic software concepts.​

IMO, patents on things you can touch are good, software patents are just ideas, dreams, a dime a dozen.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Any example of that?

The iPhone. Before it, PDAs were for businessmen and -women and the super geeky.

Now infants are playing Temple Run on them and everyone has a smartphone. I know one could argue the smartphone revolution could've happened without the iPhone - and it probably could have. But dealing in "what-ifs" is fantasy.

The fact is, when the iPhone came along it brought with it the idea that anyone could carry around a personal computer their pockets. AND that everyone should WANT to carry a personal computer around in their pockets.

None of the above statement says anything about who's the best, or that Android sucks. Simply the iPhone was the innovation that has subsequently led to hundreds of millions of people owning smartphones in a matter of 5 years.

EDIT: I want to point out that an innovation like the iPhone could only have been brought about by other innovations coming together. The rumors are Jobs had the idea for something like the iPhone back in the 80s but didn't have the proper technology to successfully implement it. For instance - Samsung is at the forefront of processor manufacturing. Their innovations in developing smaller chips lead to others who develop even smaller chips (TSMC) and back and forth it goes.

Generally, companies/people who design products are the ones who are called innovative - even though it requires smaller technological advances (or innovations) to make those designs work.

Last edited:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The fact remains just because YOU think McDonald's sucks, doesn't mean you have the right to assume I think McDonald's sucks. The same applies to phones. I just find it fascinating that people who buy Android feel this overwhelming need to tell the world how amazing their phone is and how its FAR SUPERIOR to an iPhone. Just look at Samsung's marketing strategy. It's all about how its better than the iPhone. Well I'm happy Samsung feels that way - and I'm absolutely giddy that you love your Note II. But what I take offense to is Samsung (or you) telling me I'm an idiot for having an iPhone - that Apple is so evil and I'm mindless for not realizing what an awful, litigious corporate monster they are.

Again - pot meet kettle.

Apple engages in the same behavior. In fact they got in trouble in the UK for doing it. They do it often at keynotes. They even highlighted their competition when comparing the iPad mini.

You adore Apple (which is great) but they might just be more clever at hiding their disdain for the competition. They also treat their own customers with marginal respect. We can derail this conversation further if you'd like on how Apple does that too.

I have never said which phone is better. I don't believe you can quantify that. I have ALWAYS said it's subjective. To each their own. And I personally don't give a rat's behind what anyone other than myself uses because it's not my problem. But like you - don't tell me that I'm settling for an inferior product or that your OS is better. Especially when I use the same products you do as well. Or worse - accuse me of being some hater, paid samsung troll or whatever just because I don't agree with you. And by "you" I mean the general you - not YOU.

But again - back to topic - Samsung has no reason to settle with Apple. They (at this point) have everything to gain. Settling would be stupid. I can't imagine anyone (even the most ardent Apple loyalists) arguing that Samsung's smartest business move would be to settle.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
The iPhone. Before it, PDAs were for businessmen and -women and the super geeky.

Now infants are playing Temple Run on them and everyone has a smartphone. I know one could argue the smartphone revolution could've happened without the iPhone - and it probably could have. But dealing in "what-ifs" is fantasy.

I was betting that you would say the iPhone

At least you can be honest and assume that you only see innovation in one side and that you try to bash any other companies.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I was betting that you would say the iPhone

At least you can be honest and assume that you only see innovation in one side and that you try to bash any other companies.

You said give one example so I did. You could also go back and read the rest of the post.

sc4rf4c3

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
I just find it fascinating that people who buy Android feel this overwhelming need to tell the world how amazing their phone is and how its FAR SUPERIOR to an iPhone. Just look at Samsung's marketing strategy. It's all about how its better than the iPhone. Well I'm happy Samsung feels that way - and I'm absolutely giddy that you love your Note II. But what I take offense to is Samsung (or you) telling me I'm an idiot for having an iPhone - that Apple is so evil and I'm mindless for not realizing what an awful, litigious corporate monster they are.

Don't you think your argument goes both ways. There are Apple fanboys that degrade Android users. Remember when Instagram became available to Android, did you read the comments on Twitter from iOS users? Why do you take offense on commercials or advertisements? Are you that sensitive?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Again - pot meet kettle.

Apple engages in the same behavior. In fact they got in trouble in the UK for doing it. (1)They do it often at keynotes. They even highlighted their competition when comparing the iPad mini.

You adore Apple (which is great) but they might just be more clever at hiding their disdain for the competition. (2)They also treat their own customers with marginal respect. We can derail this conversation further if you'd like on how Apple does that too.

I have never said which phone is better. I don't believe you can quantify that. I have ALWAYS said it's subjective. To each their own. And I personally don't give a rat's behind what anyone other than myself uses because it's not my problem. (3)But like you - don't tell me that I'm settling for an inferior product or that your OS is better. Especially when I use the same products you do as well. Or worse - accuse me of being some hater, paid samsung troll or whatever just because I don't agree with you. And by "you" I mean the general you - not YOU.

(4)But again - back to topic - Samsung has no reason to settle with Apple. They (at this point) have everything to gain. Settling would be stupid. I can't imagine anyone (even the most ardent Apple loyalists) arguing that Samsung's smartest business move would be to settle.

(1) Actually - the comparison to the N7 was an aberration. I was shocked they spent so much time comparing the mini to it. The "I'm a Mac; I'm a PC" commercials are a better example - though I think you'd agree the "PC" in those commercials was more of a "I can't help my faults" type thing. Whereas the Samsung commercials portray Apple users as "too stupid to understand".

(2) I've always experienced excellent customer service when needing a problem resolved by Apple. I've had devices swaped out for free (even though the damage was my fault), I've had fees waived and my wife was even given complementary AppleCare+. If you're referring to all the "-gates", I've never really been affected by them so I guess I'm the wrong person to talk to. I experience bugs with most every piece of technology I own (this work Dell laptop is slower than hell, my brand new Xbox360 has sputters, my internet connection at home goes down occasionally, and apps on my iPhone crash sometimes). I'm not of the mindset Apple is out to screw it's consumer base. If that makes me naive in your eyes, so be it. I also don't "adore" Apple. I just like their products. It's a piece of technology, not my dog or a member of my family.

(3) Sure I get that. I suspect you and I are a lot alike - we're just on opposite sides of this particular issue. Samsung ticks me off with the commercials and advertising more than anything. I couldn't care less if they copied Apple or not or if Apple and Samsung decide to litigate until the cows come home.

(4)I guess I wrote that in a post to a different user - but I agree. I actually think they both WANT the legal battles. Samsung has since risen to a level higher than even Apple partially due to Apple's recognition that Samsung was a threat through these legal proceedings. I'm not a patent expert and I have no idea if Samsung ACTUALLY copied Apple's PATENTS. I do know the iPhone was the catalyst for today's smartphone boom - and if Apple (or Samsung or anyone else) has patents and they feel those ideas are being threatened, I don't have any problem with them suing the pants off each other. Its not my money.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

We might not agree on everything - but I respect your opinion. Even if it's wrong ;) I am TOTALLY kidding, of course.

Some people, it seems, just like to argue. For example - on another thread people are pissed off that Samsung raised chip prices. Then it was revealed that they never did. Yet the same people are still pissed off. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.