Samsung Now or Later

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleGoat, Aug 31, 2011.

?

What drive should I opt for?

1. Go with the 470 SATA II

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Wait for the 830 SATA III

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

I'm probably going to RMA my M4. Leaning towards the Samsung 470, but given the October release of the 830, would you guys hold off and roll the dice with Samsung's SATA III offering? At this point, I've become disillusioned with imperceptible speed gains at the expense of convenience. However, like its predecessor, the 830 will incorporate a Samsung controller, distinguishing itself from all other issue-ridden SATA III drives. Does this hold water for anyone? Or should I just spring for the 470 and call it a day?

2. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

You realize how much the 830 is going to cost right?

3. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

I didn't realize a price was announced. I think people tend to exaggerate the price differential between SATA II & SATA III drives.

4. jgz macrumors regular

jgz

I think the price will match the other SATA III SSDs.......

We are discussing here about SSDs, I recently put into discussion the Samsung 830 Series, feel free to join :D

5. jamisonbaines macrumors regular

i vote you wait months to gain fractions of a second in the future

6. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I would wait for the 830; I don't like buying last generation tech if I can help it. I also honestly feel that "all" the "problems" people are having with newer SSDs are blown out of proportion. As for price, I would bet the 830's will be priced inline with what the 470's are today.

7. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

I may just do that. When I fuss New Tech vs. Old Tech, it ultimately comes back to the sentiment of sticking it through with the M4, waiting for that revolutionary Firmware or OS X update. I wouldn't play down the "problems" everyone is having. System lockups and beach balls are annoying and frankly inexcusable for anyone investing in the SSD experience. Then, there was that issue where software was corrupted after the latest Firmware update.

8. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I should have worded that better, I'm not saying that the people with problems aren't having them or anything, just the amount of people with problems vs. without is blown out of proportions. If you were to just look at threads here, you would think 99.9999% of people are having problems, when I'm thinking that number is in the low single digits.