Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rbn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
Hi
Im planning on getting a 13" 2011 macbook air this weekend. It has been reported that samsung ssd is much faster so clearly i would like samsung.

Q1. Is it possible to identify whether the machine has a samsung ssd Before purchase? For example, can the serial number be used as a indicator?

Q2. If the above is not possible, how can i tell whether it is a toshiba or samsung without taking of the screws and looking inside the machine?

Many thanks

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
1. Not possible, or at least there is no known indication.

2. About this Mac > More info > System Report > Serial-ATA

rbn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
Thanks guys

Hopefully some form of pattern can be identified on serial number so that it assists consumers during their purchase

rds

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
Thanks guys

Hopefully some form of pattern can be identified on serial number so that it assists consumers during their purchase

Why? There is nothing wrong with the Toshiba SSD. Just because you might lose a few seconds on a large file transfer, it doesn't mean you've somehow missed out.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Hi
Im planning on getting a 13" 2011 macbook air this weekend. It has been reported that samsung ssd is much faster so clearly i would like samsung.

It has been reported to be a little faster, not a lot faster, and that varies based on what you are doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.