Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I'm curious who their target market is for these. They look more gaudy than opulent to me. But maybe they'd appeal to certain celebrities or people who purchase Vertu's?

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/7/6116773/samsung-galaxy-note-4-and-gear-s-swarovski-editions

vs09-06_0921s_verge_super_wide.jpg

vs09-06_0922s_verge_super_wide.jpg

vs09-06_0930s_verge_super_wide.jpg

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I'd have to see them in person. I like the idea though. The pictures don't convince me either way.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
That's going to look terrible when they start falling off.

And the "Samsung" logo is wrong, wrong, wrong. It's associated with microwaves and fridges, not jewelry. Don't they understand branding?

McCool71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
I'm curious who their target market is for these. They look more gaudy than opulent to me.

There are parts of the world where bling and shiny stuff is very popular though - the Middle East and Asia being two of the major markets. Samsung is a much more global company in that way than say Apple who does nearly everything with a US-centric view of what people want.

My guess is that these 'bling'-versions are not really aimed at the US or Europe at all.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
It looks like it was covered in glue and dragged through a flea market jewelry table.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
There are parts of the world where bling and shiny stuff is very popular though - the Middle East and Asia being two of the major markets. Samsung is a much more global company in that way than say Apple who does nearly everything with a US-centric view of what people want.

My guess is that these 'bling'-versions are not really aimed at the US or Europe at all.

Yep. I'll bet these end up in Dubai shopping malls (if they're not already there).

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004

The Swarovski S3 mini was available in Europe. It was more discrete and not expensive at all (it appeared the year after the regular version). I could imagine girls buying it to go out.

GadgetSN

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Obviously for the rappers and drug dealers.

Samsung do really need to partner with a company that can design products though. Perhaps Apple??........ Hang on....

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Swarovski is female attraction. No man with any self respect will ever buy this. (For his wife/girlfriend/mistress/side bae yes). I see a lot of females buying the white/pink Note IV with the Swarovski cover.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
I like the leather look. I don't think I would buy a real leather phone. And I don't use cases.

Plus, it doesn't scratch like my work (i)Phone :D

----------

Swarovski is female attraction. No man with any self respect will ever buy this. (For his wife/girlfriend/mistress/side bae yes). I see a lot of females buying the white/pink Note IV with the Swarovski cover.

Will.I.am provably would ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.