Samsung Pay looks pretty good

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BostonQuad, Jan 29, 2016.

1. BostonQuad macrumors newbie

Now that I know more about Samsung Pay, the big news is that it can be used with most traditional card readers. That's huge; very few places I go to take Apple Pay.

Like ApplePay, Samsung Pay uses tokenization, fingerprint authorization, and NFC (if available). It's reported to be as fast as ApplePay. Unlike ApplePay, it sounds slightly less convenient by requiring a swipe from the lock screen before using. But that's minor compared to the convenience of using it at 95% of merchants, rather than 5%.

I suppose this great disparity could change as more merchants upgrade their terminals. But a prediction that 59% of US merchants would upgrade to NFC terminals by now hasn't panned out, and some who have upgraded have disabled ApplePay. To me, it looks like Samsung Pay will be much better than Apple Pay for the foreseeable future.

Thoughts?

2. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

In the short-term, it's much better because of how many places you could use it in. In the long-term, things should be much more even.

3. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

but lack of banks is the issue. but the idea is overall better then apple pay.

4. Cyberguycpt macrumors 6502

Cyberguycpt

Yep. Lack of banks is the biggest issue. I actually had a Note 5 and at the time the only cards they had I didn't. I was really disappointed that Chase Bank was not supported at launch as they are the biggest bank in the US. I ended up buying the IPhone 6s Plus and selling the Note 5 a couple weeks before they starting supporting Chase.

5. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

same here. I used android pay but the s6 never worked as fast as the iPhone to pay with and it seemed was pickier about position.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Quite a few thoughts in one of the longer discussions about it at http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/new-commercial-is-asinine.1920183/