Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Hey guys,

I need an affordable, bus powered external storage solution to move large amounts of video footage from client‘s trashcans onto my new Mac Pro internal Sonett 8TB raid.

I‘m usually dealing with file drops around 2-3TB. I‘m contemplating to put a Samsung EVO 860 2,5 SATA ssd in an external enclosure but am wondering if a QVO would also do the job or would I constantly hit the buffer cache limit and then the drive would be crazy slow during these huge copy events? I might also work from it from time to time when at clients instead of using their slow spinners. Anybody got experience with the actual copy speeds of large masses of data on QVO vs EVO and also video editing?
The benchmarks that I found didnt really explain this for me or are sometimes contradicting...

Last edited:

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Samsung QVO 680 viable for video editing?

Might want to fix your thread title.

Have been using 840/850/860 EVO and PRO SATA SSDs for many years without issues. I would not trust a QVO drive for anything more than a clone/backup at this time when considering the relatively minimal price savings vs. the EVO options. SATA QVO will be nearly the same speed as SATA EVO for the majority of work.

Reactions: chfilm

flygbuss

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2018
Stockholm, Sweden
Hey guys,

I need an affordable, bus powered external storage solution to move large amounts of video footage from client‘s trashcans onto my new Mac Pro internal Sonett 8TB raid.

I‘m usually dealing with file drops around 2-3TB. I‘m contemplating to put a Samsung EVO 860 2,5 SATA ssd in an external enclosure but am wondering if a QVO would also do the job or would I constantly hit the buffer cache limit and then the drive would be crazy slow during these huge copy events? I might also work from it from time to time when at clients instead of using their slow spinners. Anybody got experience with the actual copy speeds of large masses of data on QVO vs EVO and also video editing?
The benchmarks that I found didnt really explain this for me or are sometimes contradicting...

I tried the 4TB edition and sent it back because, while writing larger amounts of data (well, it's a 4TB drive) the speed significantly dropped after a while. So especially for larger file transfers (audio / video) I can't recommend the drive.

I tried to save some bucks but ended up buying the 860 EVO eventually. The 150,- EUR difference for the 4TB model was worth it imho.

Reactions: h9826790 and chfilm

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I tried the 4TB edition and sent it back because, while writing larger amounts of data (well, it's a 4TB drive) the speed significantly dropped after a while. So especially for larger file transfers (audio / video) I can't recommend the drive.

I tried to save some bucks but ended up buying the 860 EVO eventually. The 150,- EUR difference for the 4TB model was worth it imho.
Thx that what’s the info I needed!

Reactions: flygbuss

flygbuss

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2018
Stockholm, Sweden
Might want to fix your thread title.

Have been using 840/850/860 EVO and PRO SATA SSDs for many years without issues. I would not trust a QVO drive for anything more than a clone/backup at this time when considering the relatively minimal price savings vs. the EVO options. SATA QVO will be nearly the same speed as SATA EVO for the majority of work.

Speed dropped to a HDD level after a while.
I really like the Samsung SSDs (PRO and EVO), the oldest one in my possession runs perfectly fine since my purchase 8 years ago

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Speed dropped to a HDD level after a while.
I really like the Samsung SSDs (PRO and EVO), the oldest one in my possession runs perfectly fine since my purchase 8 years ago
One more question, anybody has an opinion about the SanDisk Ultra 4TB 3d NAND SSD? It‘s TLC and cheaper than the EVO..

flygbuss

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2018
Stockholm, Sweden
Haha, again: Bought a SanDisk SATA SSD for testing 1 year ago and returned it because it performed worse then all of the Samsung SATA SSDs I own. At some point it didn't mount anymore until I reformatted it.

I think those SATA SSDs perform quite well as a boot drive in older computers or for any consumer needs, but when it comes to larger files (especially files your work relies on) I decided to stick with Samsung.

That's why I gave the QVO a shot.

Edit: Just checked the purchase and it was a SanDisk Plus, so results with the Ultra may vary

Reactions: chfilm

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Have clients who have run into significant issues with SanDisk SATA SSDs in the past and they no longer purchase them. Personally always purchase Samsung EVO or PRO whenever possible.

OkiRun

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2019
Japan
Why would it be not mac compatible? It's just a harddrive that needs to be formatted correctly, right?
There are some hard drives that cannot be formatted for both Mac and PC; so I was wondering if the one in question is able to be formatted for both.

OkiRun

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2019
Japan
Every Samsung SSD I own is mac formatted (APFS or HFS+).
No issues are all..
thanks! attempting to dive deeper into this subject at this time. One question that comes to mind is - what happens when you are moving 4k files from a PC to a MAC with the drive in question? Can the drive function for both?

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
thanks! attempting to dive deeper into this subject at this time. One question that comes to mind is - what happens when you are moving 4k files from a PC to a MAC with the drive in question? Can the drive function for both?
Exfat would be the solution I guess

Reactions: OkiRun

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
ExFat does work, but there are occasionally random issues with garbage collection on SSDs formatted ExFat and I always avoid for production drives. Good option if sending drive to a client and don’t know what system they’re on, or sending portable HDDs.

Reactions: chfilm and OkiRun

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
ExFat does work, but there are occasionally random issues with garbage collection on SSDs formatted ExFat and I always avoid for production drives. Good option if sending drive to a client and don’t know what system they’re on, or sending portable HDDs.
Interesting, good to know. I’m gonna Format the drive HFS anyways since almost my entire client base is on Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.