Samsung Replaces Galaxy Series designer

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Technarchy, May 8, 2014.

1. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Just my opinion, and speaking purely about aesthetics, I like the way the Galaxy line of phones look since the S3. Dare I say the design is becoming iconic, and catapulted the Galaxy devices to the top of the smart phone food chain.

So what is Samsung looking to do/gain by changing/shuffling their lead designer: http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/07/samsung-replaces-mobile-design-chief/

I hope this shuffle doesn't dramatically change the Galaxy's design language. I like the oval home button quite a bit. Also the SD card and removeable battery. Maybe the praise of the M8 has gotten under Samsung's skin.

2. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

I think they can do a more "premium" design without getting rid of the sd card and removable battery.

Hell if they just get rid of the chrome finish on the sides that will perfect in my book.

That's the only complaint I have with the Note 3 design, I don't like the faux look on the back that much but texture feels good and maybe they can relocate the USB port or round/smooth the edges of the opening :) I find them too sharp.

3. Savor Suspended

Savor

I actually think Samsung can occasionally make good-looking products. Haters say they always make ugly phones.

Samsung Soul
    Samsung Giorgio Armani
    Samsung Focus / Omnia 7
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Even their wearable accessories like the Galaxy Fit and Galaxy Gear 2 look quite nice.

I think tech reviewers (like David Pierce) are so emo about premium build quality because they are Apple fanatics and prioritize premium feeling over practicality. Metal isn't even the most practical material used for ruggedness.

And while I don't like TouchWiz, you can use a launcher and apps to get rid of the ugliness and bloat. You can disable them. I actually like that Samsung still provides a memory card slot and removable battery. And I like they use a physical home button. Save from wearing out the power button.

Hopefully with this change, Samsung can finally correct one of the main complaints about them. Design. But people sometimes forget they do alot of things right and provide alot of practical features with long-term value. Samsung might not be great at software and half-baked features but some can correctable. Disable it or don't use them. But they are rarely guilty on having missing features.

4. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I'm not a huge fan of the look of the current Samsung phones and think a more premium feel could be achieved. A change in materials would be a start IMO.

5. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Just change the fake chrome on the side. Every thing else is a go.

6. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

That's exactly how I feel.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

And flaps !!! The microusb flap is a pain.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think they can do better to make the Galaxy series look/feel more premium and that doesn't mean adding fake leather.

I don't mind the look of the Sx phones but I never thought they looked premium.

I think the iPhone has a premium look/feel and if Samsung can up its game, all the better for them

9. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Yep but fortunately wireless charging helps with that. I have never liked a samsung phone before the S5. My first with wireless charging too. :)
    I have had lifeproof and OB cases with iPhones and the USB port on S5is easier to use than on them.

----------

Nailed it.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I wonder though if they can do an exposed headphone port that's waterproof, what's the issue with the USB ?

11. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

agreed

maybe offer some more protection on the camera lens, since it needs to protrude out

I like my samsung phone caseless :)

12. kasakka macrumors 68000

It actually makes the phone a bit more winter friendly as real metal would be colder.

I think they did a really good job with the S4 for the most part. I don't think there is any phone that has such a good physical size to screen size ratio. The back cover could've been a less slippery material but it was a cheap fix with a 3rd party back cover.

I'd really like to see them try the high end, slightly smaller phone though. The S5 is a step back compared to the S4 when it comes to holding the phone.

13. tjl3 macrumors 6502a

I'd have to say that they made the gamble on fake leather (not even faux leather) and struck out. They could have gone a handful of different ways, and I think this was a huge lapse in judgement on their part. And then going to their designer back for the GS5 has really drawn up the ire of their critics.

I do agree that their design is as defining and recognizable as the iPhone now, and much credit has to be given to them. That design is synonymous with Galaxy, and shouldn't need a rebranding or re-imaging.

I wonder if they will continue to go against the grain as well. Because modern design is simplistic. That's part of what makes devices like the Xperia Z, Nexus 5 and iPhone stand out. But w/ Samsung, their design is super complicated and they get catch a lot of flack when they don't hit a home run.

14. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

It's definitely time for a change. Regardless of "premium" or not, they've been milking this design for a long time now. It's the same story as the iphone 4 and on.

15. Technarchy thread starter macrumors 603

Technarchy

Milking? You clearly don't get it.

Samsung is not just selling a Smartphone. Everyone sells smart phones.

Samsung is selling an image, fashion, cool, trendy and gee-whiz. Apple does the same thing in a different way.

Changing for the sake of change doesn't work. Samsung didn't take off and become number one until they stopped with the unnecessary changes to their UI and design language.

Everyone is trying to own an iconic design language now like Samsung and Apple. The M8 looks like the M7, the G3 looks like the G2. iPhones look like iPhones.

You call it milking but Samsung would have to be on drugs to take their reputation, recognition, and marketable design look and throw it out the window for a for a few ADHD, fickle personalities that need sweeping change but a regressive experience because there is no chance to refine, and attempt to perfect.

16. McCool71 macrumors 6502a

The main thing (for me) though is that it has very comfortable texture to hold. WAY better than metal or smooth polycarbonate in my opinion.

I just hope Samsung does not go for any widespread use of metal on their next flagship phone bodies; I have never understood why the same material that is used in soda cans is perceived as premium in any way. The extra cost (which I suspect is minimal) from building something in metal comes from a more cumbersome production process, the material itself costs next to nothing.

I guess people like the shinyness (before the hide it in a plastic cover...) :)

17. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

Nice explanation Techarchy….I wish more people would get that. Great examples of if it works don't fix it.

18. afsnyder macrumors 65816

The fake chrome around the sides bothers me... thats all.

19. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

As a Galaxy Note 3 owner, my biggest complaint so far with the Galaxy S devices is they have looked the same for the past 3 generations. You'd think they would do like apple and introduce a design refresh after 2 generations but I guess not.

20. Technarchy thread starter macrumors 603

Technarchy

The S3 and S5 look and feel quite a bit different from all angles. The design refresh has happened.

21. daveathall macrumors 68000

daveathall

I agree.

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I do think if they had actually replaced the plastic chrome with real chrome / brushed aluminium it would look better, but in general terms I don't mind the S5 look.

What's important is it looks like a Samsung phone ... Unmistakably so.

Just like an iPhone looks unmistakably like an Apple phone.

Whatever your opinion on its aesthetics, that's a good example of brand recognition.

23. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

The most premium feeling Samsung handset I've ever owned was this:

[​IMG]

Real solid & weighty and the metal parts did feel nice in the hand.

I't a pity the materials and feel of the Omina 7 wasn't replicated on the Galaxy S line.

24. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

This is a problematic post. You didn't say there's anything you dislike about the design, just that it's the same. Change for its own sake is no good.

Also, the iPhone 4 came out in 2010, same year as the Galaxy S. The S5 looks much, much more different than the S than the 5s is different from the 4.

25. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I'm in this boat with you MRU. I don't think Samsung's most recent devices are ugly, per se, but rather feel less substantial and/or premium. I think much of it comes from using a design that allows for a removable battery and the required removable back plate. I'm personally a big fan of metal/glass, practical or not, and seem to generally prefer devices using these materials (iPhones/iPads, Nexus 4, HTC One, LG G Pad, and now the Xperia Z line are my recent personal favorites in design and materials). But there are certainly quite a few devices made from plastic that I found quite pleasant--Nexus 5/7, quite a few Nokia Lumia's--all of which have a better feel to me than Galaxy devices--more heft, more substantial and solid, so blaming the materials used is a cop out, IMO.

I agree with Technarchy in that Samsung changing for the sake of change would be foolish. Moving a new dramatic direction could very well alienate a large portion of their customers. I'd personally would just like to see a different build design using materials that feel (and look) better--go ahead keep the general Samsung design. Absolutely doesn't mean my design tastes are better, just what I'd need to see before considering using a future Samsung device.