Samsung rumored to release a foldable smartphone next year

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by jamezr, May 1, 2016.

1. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

Can't wait for this to happen! C'mon Samsung let get this done already....
    I know these rumors been repeated before but they seem to be gathering steam.

http://www.sammobile.com/2016/05/01/samsung-rumored-to-release-a-foldable-smartphone-next-year/

[​IMG]
    http://www.sammobile.com/2015/12/03...le-smartphone-will-make-the-phablet-complete/

2. Savor Suspended

Savor

Looks like the clamshell form factor is ready to make a comeback and change the game for phablets and tablets forever...

3. ozaz macrumors 65816

I can see myself being interested in something like this as a way to reduce phone size (e.g. carry 6" phone with the footprint of a 3" phone).

But I can't see myself being interested in this as a way to combine my phone and tablet usage into a single device. My phone has difficulty getting through the day when just acting as a phone. So until there's a seismic shift in battery technology or device efficiency I'd rather continue using a separate dedicated tablet for tablet stuff.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'm interested in seeing it, but concerned about the genuine practicality and how content such as games and movies will work - if the centre part of the fold will break immersion for media consumption.

It's definitely going to be a rev 1 product, so I'll likely wait till the re-iteration after before I purchased myself.

5. Klyster macrumors 6502a

Klyster

Yup,1st edition will be like an engineering experiment at first IMO. .. Costly and few and far between.

Hopefully I'm totally wrong though...

6. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I like the idea of a foldable screen as long as you can use it most of the time without having to unfold it, if that makes sense? For example having a phone that can be expanded when needed but used mostly as a smaller screen phone. I think we've moved on from having to unfold a phone every time you want to use it. My last folding/flip phone was the Motorola Pebl.

7. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Hell yeah, I'm first in line for this. Don't care how much it costs or if it doesn't work well.

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Damn Right!!! Count me in.

9. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

They have been working on prototypes for a long time now.

Worst case scenario, it'll be a figurative repeat of the Note 4 edge, which wasn't bad at all but didn't catch on. Then would be refined next gen.

10. Klyster macrumors 6502a

Klyster

Yeah I hope I'm wrong, really.

I'm thinking it will be like the Galaxy round though, for a start, an engineering exercise. Gotta start somewhere eh?

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

The prototype / concept they showed off a couple of years ago, also had a screen on the folded front to use:

flexible.gif

It'd be nice, but perhaps prohibitively expensive, to include one on the initial product.

The main things they've been working on all these years are making sure the circuits can stand more than a few hundred opening/closings... and designing hinge systems to make the bend as non-sharp as possible.

12. mclld macrumors 68000

People whine and cry about build quality all day and want metal bodies, this seems like a tricky thing with a foldable screen

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

And then there's this:

14. jamezr thread starter macrumors G3

jamezr

and you're point is?????

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

You made comment relating to quality, I pointed out people already saying (in this very thread) they would be happy to spend money on it regardless of how well (or not well) it all actually works.

16. mclld macrumors 68000

To be clear, this is an awesome tech and I personally think it will be great

17. jamezr thread starter macrumors G3

jamezr

Here are some of the prototypes

The sound is really high on this one...

18. Surf Donkey Suspended

Surf Donkey

Wow that hurt to watch.

Sounds like Sammy is hitting up 5 flagships next year:

http://www.sammobile.com/2016/05/13/samsung-will-launch-five-galaxy-flagship-smartphones-in-2017/

19. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

20. jamezr thread starter macrumors G3

jamezr

Don't agree with the 4K.....i think it will hurt battery life. I still want my phone to last all day and then some even if it is foldable.

21. Surf Donkey Suspended

Surf Donkey

Lenovo with the cross hook to the jaw:

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I assume LG are also looking at this tech going forward as they were developing bendable (although the flex & flex 2 bent differently to samsung).

23. jamezr thread starter macrumors G3

jamezr

Yes they do! LG has some very nice screen technology too!
    Checkout this video...

24. mountain macrumors 6502

mountain

Can't see myself using one right now. maybe when the product mature.