Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hot spare

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2011
So you're actually looking at a few things here:

At face value, you're looking at a photo that's presumably been downsampled to be able to compare every camera on an equal footing, because each camera has a different shear MP capability. Just pick the photo that has the highest image quality--- clearly the top left 2, and then sgs6. You should be aware that the top left 2 are not smartphone cameras, but professional/semi professional cameras.

The setting all those photos are taken at is ISO 800. Basically it is a forced exposure, and in this case it is used to detail the effects of noise reduction in each software/camera setup.

I couldn't have explained it better!

billy the fish

Suspended
Jul 23, 2015
The ultra high resolution screen requires a faster GPU just to keep up. I'm guessing Apple is waiting until it is satisfied with the performance before it makes a resolution change for a relatively minor aesthetic improvement.

As for the camera, even with supposedly inferior specs, the iPhone 6S camera still fares well in comparison tests.

Remember, Samsung is the challenger here. They need to put out bleeding edge specs (or at least perceive the need to do so) since Apple is so much more profitable.
The second you mention profits you admit to all that you know that the iphone is an inferior product.. Is that all that you have in defense.

Reactions: khha4113

billy the fish

Suspended
Jul 23, 2015
Samsung SAMOLED is awful. It has burn-in problem on every single phone that they sell. The color is also oversaturated.
I honestly don't get why people even prefer such inferior screen... Samsung paid/fan maybe?

Also, the camera on S6 is alright, it's not as good as iPhone 6 still for most cases. The point and shoot failure rate is much higher and on low-light it's practically unusable. The only thing S6 is better than iPhone 6 in camera is the pixel count, which you can only tell if you zoom all the way in to see the 100% crop. If you want to compare camera to iPhone, I would suggest pick LG G4 to compare... ;)
Wow, someone's got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning havnt they.. Denial is not an attractive trait my friend lol

journeyy

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2013
I just watched some of the camera shootouts (6S vs S6) and i have to say.. The S6 photos just look better to my eyes. I think most people enjoy a bit(!) warmer, more saturated Look on pictures and videos for their private collections and social media - who cares if it's not 100% "realistic" (Reality is overrated ;))

Also thanks to a cashback offer from Samsung you can get the S6 (32GB) for just over 400 Euro here in Germany, while the 6S (16GB) is 740 Euro.

I do love my 5S and will probably keep it for now anyways, but this time around i don't know if i would still pay that much more for an iPhone.. Okay i probably would because i still don't like Touchwiz, but the decision wouldn't be that clear. Maybe they will release a S7 "Pure Edition" next year - that would be nice.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
The S6 does not blow the iPhone camera out of the water at all.

that's not what the experts say and as a photographer I can say while it's not perfect it is a strong 9/10. The Note 5 I have even accounts for some of the S6 shortcomings. I don't own an S6 so perhaps they've received an update but the Note 5 DOES have RAW Support. Don't believe Apple does and that's HUGE in terms of detail and capability. In-Phone/Camera processing is where all of Samsung's IQ downsides (minimal) reside. There's also no jittering in the Note 5 when shooting video vs what is said about the S6.

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/2097209656/samsung-galaxy-s6-edge-camera-review?page=9

Quote from Article:
The Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge's image quality is as good as it gets with a small-sensor smartphone camera. If you want better image detail and low light performance you'd have to move to a hybrid device like the Pananonic Lumix DMC-CM1 or make the switch to an enthusiast compact camera.

With that I don't see much changing vs the 12mp Apple. They are equal in terms of resolution when viewed at the same aspect ratio but Samsung will always hold the lead if Apple doesn't offer RAW.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Exactly. Sure, 4K looks fantastic on a small device, but it's unnecessary. It's ironic that OP loves the high resolution screen of S6, but doesn't like the battery life, when they very much go hand-in-hand.

4k holds big advantage when processing video. I do it all the time and downsizing it to 1080p will kick the iPhone's HD to the curb.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
The point and shoot failure rate is much higher and on low-light it's practically unusable. The only thing S6 is better than iPhone 6 in camera is the pixel count, which you can only tell if you zoom all the way in to see the 100% crop. If you want to compare camera to iPhone, I would suggest pick LG G4 to compare... ;)

P&S failure rate? I don't see it on my Note 5. It does very well and tracks subjects and faces like a champ. Rapid fire off a series of shots and you can catch mutiple great images. They key winning feature is its capability to shoot .dng RAW.

Show me a low light iPhone image that can be pushed two stops and have it's WB corrected and do better. Low light unusable? Not with the latest Samsungs. Not at all a true statement.

The G4 comes in a close 2nd: http://connect.dpreview.com/post/4815927435/lg-g4-camera-review?page=9

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
P&S failure rate? I don't see it on my Note 5. It does very well and tracks subjects and faces like a champ. Rapid fire off a series of shots and you can catch mutiple great images. They key winning feature is its capability to shoot .dng RAW.

Show me a low light iPhone image that can be pushed two stops and have it's WB corrected and do better. Low light unusable? Not with the latest Samsungs. Not at all a true statement.

The G4 comes in a close 2nd: http://connect.dpreview.com/post/4815927435/lg-g4-camera-review?page=9

They dont get it lol and if it was the other way around apple would be crowned the big winner instead of tied and all smart phones are good enough.

Raw support is just icing

Bobbman

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2013
I am an Apple addict. I want to love the iPhone 6s Plus. The camera, however, disappointed. For the first time I feel Apple is a BIG step behind in this regard. I have been comparing to my 6Plus and to be honest on many occasions I think the regular 6Plus gets the better photo. Other manufacturers have surpassed Apple with the camera, and Apple has not caught up. I love IOS too much to switch, but for the first time in awhile the thought has entered my mind. I liked having the best, or near best cell phone camera, as camera is important to me. Right now I think there are many better options for a cell phone camera. The Note 5 is in my thoughts, I have 2 weeks to decide. I want to have close to the best cell phone camera, just not sure if I am ready to back to all of the Android "tweaking" to have that camera.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Let me just add with 4k you can easily pull a nice quality still image from the video. Cropped to 3:2 ratio you can get a 4.5mp image nicely. You could do the same with 1080p but the quality will be less.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
I am an Apple addict. I want to love the iPhone 6s Plus. The camera, however, disappointed. For the first time I feel Apple is a BIG step behind in this regard. I have been comparing to my 6Plus and to be honest on many occasions I think the regular 6Plus gets the better photo. Other manufacturers have surpassed Apple with the camera, and Apple has not caught up. I love IOS too much to switch, but for the first time in awhile the thought has entered my mind. I liked having the best, or near best cell phone camera, as camera is important to me. Right now I think there are many better options for a cell phone camera. The Note 5 is in my thoughts, I have 2 weeks to decide. I want to have close to the best cell phone camera, just not sure if I am ready to back to all of the Android "tweaking" to have that camera.

I got an unlocked note 5 from monoprice on ebay for 580 shipped i dont know if it was a pricing error because its 1070 now but keep an eye on them and just do your self a favor and grab one if it goes back on sale.

The phone is great!

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
I am an Apple addict. I want to love the iPhone 6s Plus. The camera, however, disappointed. For the first time I feel Apple is a BIG step behind in this regard. I have been comparing to my 6Plus and to be honest on many occasions I think the regular 6Plus gets the better photo.

Wow. Published reviews have been mixed, but, I never expected the camera to take a step backwards from the 5S or 6. In what way do the 6S pictures seem inferior?

Bobbman

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2013
Wow. Published reviews have been mixed, but, I never expected the camera to take a step backwards from the 5S or 6. In what way do the 6S pictures seem inferior?

Indoors the 6sPlus does not seem to handle light as well. Outdoors they are about the same, but is really hard to notice any extra detail from the new phone. Apple squeezed every drop out of the eight mega pixels on the iphone6 with great success. I thought they would do the same with 12 mega pixels on the iPhone 6s, but they seem like the same camera. Only the new one handles lighting more poorly. Really a let down.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Sometimes after using my Note 4 or Note Edge, I pick up my iPhone 6+ and I think that something is wrong with it's brightness settings. A few times, there have been and rebooting the phone will make the brightness set back to normal.

I'm not sure when past Samsung phones had burn in problems but they have not existed as long as I've owned my Note 4 and Note Edge.

I have never seen two phones with better displays before.

I was not interested in downgrading to a Note 5 this year. My next phone may be a Nexus. I'll probably skip the iPhone this year. Last time I skipped the iPhone, was the 5 and I bought a Nexus 4.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I just switched over today. The S6 was traded in for an iPhone 6S.

I've only taken a couple of photos but the very very first impressions is the S6 camera has advantages resulting in more vivid and detailed photos.
Is that because of Amoled display saturation boosting the colour on the device? Have you compared them side by side on a computer?

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
Sometimes after using my Note 4 or Note Edge, I pick up my iPhone 6+ and I think that something is wrong with it's brightness settings. A few times, there have been and rebooting the phone will make the brightness set back to normal.

I'm not sure when past Samsung phones had burn in problems but they have not existed as long as I've owned my Note 4 and Note Edge.

I have never seen two phones with better displays before.

I was not interested in downgrading to a Note 5 this year. My next phone may be a Nexus. I'll probably skip the iPhone this year. Last time I skipped the iPhone, was the 5 and I bought a Nexus 4.

I had burn-in on my Samsung Galaxy S2 but I haven't suffered from it since.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Seriously .. imagine if they'd just match the Samsunf S6 camera and display this year.

Would get people ecstatic.

I hope they can at least get to that level for iPhone 7 next year ... but then again, Samsung will probably have an 8K video recording and VR :)
Better screen quality affects battery life and the battery life is shocking on samsung devices...well the smaller versions. 6s seems to last most of the day and as somebody with the 6S plus the difference in screen quality isn't something i would really notice that much.

using IOS and texting is a joy...no waiting 3 or 4 secs to send a damn text. That drove me nuts on the S6 edge. Battery life is crazy on my plus and thats a big factor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.