iPhone X Samsung S9's Exynos 9810 Octa Chip vs Apple iPhone X's A11 Bionic Chip ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by augustya, Jun 8, 2018.

1. augustya, Jun 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018

augustya macrumors 68030

augustya

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to know how much of this is a fact ? Yesterday I stepped into one of the Samsung Phone's Gallery and the Sales Guy there seem a little bit technically updated with stuff, so he was sounding well informed. He claimed that the Samsung S9's Exynos 9810 Octa Chip is more intelligent than Apple iPhone X's A11 Bionic Chip simply because according to the requirement, accoprding to an APP it invokes Cores so lets say for e.g a Simple APP like WhatsApp which should not invoke all the Cores the Samsung S9 Exynos 9810 Octa chip does not unnecessarily invokes all the cores of the chipset and unnecessarily cause stress on the Phone's resources and drain the battery like what Apple iPhone X's A11 Bionic Chip does ? is there any truth in this ? So is the Samsung S9 Exynos 9810 Octa Chip more intelligent and efficient than Apple's A11 bionic Chipset ?

2. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

Did you expect the Samsung sales guy to recommend their main rival's product? His job is to talk BS for a living.

3. aakshey macrumors 65816

aakshey

It is irrelevant. What you're saying isn't the problem of the user. What matters is which gives better battery life in real world usage. How Samsung ends up getting X hrs battery is irrelevant. The same way as how Apple gets Y hrs battery is irrelevant.

What matters is which is faster and whether Y or X is greater while achieving that.

4. augustya thread starter macrumors 68030

augustya

I get that !! But how much of that is Truth ?

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Much more to it that the speed of the chip.

Samsung's big problem is it is on Android which is not an option for me.

6. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

I'd say roughly 0%. More cores does not equal more power. If anything it will struggle because apps will be less optimised for 8 cores.

Furthermore the single-core performance of the iPhone X creams that of the S9. In fact the iPhone X creams it in multicore too, a testament of Apple's great engineering.

Apple are untouchable at the moment with the performance of their mobile SoCs. Hater or lover, it's impossible to deny that.

7. aakshey macrumors 65816

aakshey

S9 is much faster on Antutu and 3D Mark. iPhone X is faster on Geekbench.

Neither of the two is faster overall. They’re better at different things.

8. augustya thread starter macrumors 68030

augustya

The Samsung Guy also said also said that, try opening 8 or 9 APPS at a time in an iPhone X and by the 8th and the 9th APP an iPhone would struggle to keep it up, Apple deliberately does not want an user to have so many APPS open at the same time, whereas in a Samsung Galaxy S9 it is buttery smooth open as many APPS as much you want. Not a Problem !

Besides what he also said for taking Night Photos that S9 trumps right now over the iPhone X !

9. FFR macrumors 68040

FFR

Here is a a clip from android authority explaining why that’s simply untrue.

10. Mr.Blacky macrumors 6502

I don't know how to launch 8 or 9 Apps at a time on my iPhone X, but I launched 20 Apps, as fast as I could, in a row and there was absolutly no delay, lag or anything else.

11. slooksterPSV macrumors 68040

slooksterPSV

This ^^^

12. thunng8 macrumors 6502a

An actual detailed review on chip performance

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12520/the-galaxy-s9-review

A11 demolishes the s9 exynos. In fact a10 or even a9 would beat it in pure cpu terms.

What Samsung has advantages in is the amount of ram. S9+ with 6gb in many circumstances would keep more apps in memory than an iPhone with only 3gb ram.

13. augustya thread starter macrumors 68030

augustya

This video talks about Snapdragon vs Apple A11 Bionic Chip it does not talk about the Samsung S9 Exynos 9810 Octa chip !!

14. aakshey macrumors 65816

aakshey

Nope. It doesn’t. You’re wrong.

Even your link speaks against you.

And that link isn’t comprehensive to begin with.

15. augustya thread starter macrumors 68030

augustya

isn't it globally known fact that no point in having just unused amount of higher RAM !! only when the processor and RAM work in tandem that is when the RAM is efficient ! What is the point of having just unused lying RAM ! The more RAM the better but only if it compliments with the processor ! That is when it gives results not otherwise !!

16. tonybarnaby macrumors 65816

Sounds like he sold you. Go get the s9+

17. majurg macrumors newbie

majurg

There is no truth to this as Apple's processors do the same thing. The ability to ramp up/down the number of active cores has been a feature for many years now on a verity of different processors and architectures.

18. se1000 macrumors 6502

se1000

A11 can do heterogeneous multi processing (per core) just like Exynos 9810 and Snapdragon 845, unlike previous Apple SOC's.

Geekbench isn't the be-all, end-all in processor performance metrics. There are many who have voiced their displeasure, and just looking at what it tests you can see how it's not necessarily the best metric. It is a metric however.

A11 is a fantastic SOC, the Exynos 9810 and Snapdragon 845 are also very good, with the 845 seemingly being better this year than the Exynos 9810 in many respects.

19. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The A11 bionic process is also directly responsible in working in tandem with Face ID/neutral engine and the machine learning process. Also with augmented reality, the A11 also assists in that area as well. There is always the speed considerations, but I think many missed the point behind other responsibilities the A11 processor has.

20. augustya thread starter macrumors 68030

augustya

This year when the 2018 iPad X comes out with the 4GB RAM then imo it would come in the league to compete and match with the S9, right. Right now the S9 just seems to have a little edge over the iPhone X !

21. AlphaGuitarist macrumors 6502a

AlphaGuitarist

The S9 runs Samsung's heavily forked version of Android. The hardware is only as good as the software that runs on it.

22. FFR macrumors 68040

FFR

What’s your point?

Snapdragon 845 > Exynos 8910

https://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s9-tested-exynos-9810-vs-snapdragon-845

If you want to add the iPhone a11....

http://www.phonandroid.com/snapdrag...e-a11-deux-annees-avance-sur-concurrence.html

Multiple android sites are refuting what you and a Samsung salesmen have claimed. They are claiming Apple is two years ahead of anything coming out of the android side.

Good luck

23. FFR macrumors 68040

FFR

S9 with the snapdragon 845/exynos 8910is more comparable to an iPhone 7 and the a10 fusion soc.

I believe the galaxy s11 will match this years iPhone X+. But that’s atleast two years away for Samsung and Qualcomm

24. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

A11 bionic chip is so advanced, too bad it loses to the S9 in real world performance, AKA Apple's great engineering.

25. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

How so? I’d imagine doing something like a 4K video conversion Apple’s chip would win. If your definition of performance is the ability to keep 50 tabs open that you’ll never go back to, I guess the Samsung would win on the technicality if more ram...but that has nothing to do with CPU performance.