Samsung SA850D 27", distorted picture with my MBP 17"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iMacNoob, Jul 23, 2013.

1. iMacNoob macrumors member

I just bought a samsung 850 27" monitor (http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LS27A850DS/ZA).

The image is all distorted (horizontally stretched) and I'm not sure how to fix this, the optimal resolution is 2560 x 1440.

In my display setting, I don't have that option, the highest I see is 1920.

I guess my laptop's video card can run this monitor at its optimal setting?

I can't find a Mac driver for this either.

I'm running osx 10.8.4

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

What sort of cable/adapter are you using?

You can't run 2560x1440 over a normal DVI cable. You either need to use a DisplayPort cable or a Dual-Link DVI adapter.

3. iMacNoob, Jul 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2013

iMacNoob thread starter macrumors member

Ok I reset the settings, and then in my 'display' I set it to 'best for display' and it looks fine now.

BUT, I am not sure if it is displaying at 2560 or not, how can I tell? It doesn't show me that information anywhere now since I set it to 'best for display'.

UPDATE

When I click on the monitor display menu, it shows me that it is at 1920x1080.

I am using the Dual link DVI cable, but I'm not sure if the adapter I am using to connect to my laptop can handle that resolution. I just looked at the mac store, and it looks like I have the "Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter"...is that not good enough?

Also, my display settings doesn't even show 2560, will this change if I have a 'better' adapter? Or do I need to download a driveR?

4. laurihoefs, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013

laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

You would need the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter for resolutions higher than 1920x1200.

But a Mini Displayport to Displayport cable without any adapters would be a better option IMHO. Note, that the connector on the display end is a full size Displayport, not a Mini Displayport!

5. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Why not use Thunderbolt to HDMI and use HDMI for he display?

6. laurihoefs, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013

laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

The display in question has no HDMI port, and even if a HDMI to DVI adapter was then added to the soup, it still would not work with resolutions higher than 1920x1200.

7. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

It seems real odd to me when a display that has 1920x1200 and only runs on DVI.
    I dont know what Samsung is trying to do...

8. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

The display is 2560x1440 and has two Dual Link DVIs and one Displayport.

9. iMacNoob thread starter macrumors member

The adapter I have says A1305.

Is this the correct one?

10. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

11. Stetrain macrumors 68040

No. That adapter is not Dual-link DVI capable, which is why you are not able to select the full resolution of the monitor in your settings.

Your best best is a Mini-Displayport to Displayport cable like the one linked above from Newegg. You can also get them from Monoprice and Amazon.

12. iMacNoob thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, now the one linked above is very cheap, and the apple version is $99. Is it you get what you pay for or that is just the apple tax? :) I don't want to loose quality or at least I want to know if I am.

BTW, if I was to get a thunderbolt, would I have to buy the adapter also?

13. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The main reason to get the Apple adapter is if you had an older monitor (like the old 30" cinema displays) that supported Dual-Link DVI but not Displayport. The cheaper Displayport cable should give the same or better signal since there is no conversion going on.

Do you mean if you get a new Macbook with Thunderbolt? Or a Thunderbolt display?

You can plug mini-displayport cables into Thunderbolt ports on Macs because the ports are backwards compatible.

14. iMacNoob thread starter macrumors member

Thanks I got the mini display port cable and it worked great!

I was asking if I was to buy a thunderbolt display, if it came with the mini display port cable or not ( I thought it was a big deal to buy the adapter b/c the apple version is $99).

15. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The Thunderbolt display includes its own Thunderbolt cable which plugs right into your Macbook. You have to have a 2011 or newer model Macbook that is compatible with Thunderbolt.