Samsung Screen before you buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skysailing, Feb 28, 2013.

1. skysailing macrumors regular

skysailing

Is there any way to check to see if the screen is Samsung instead of LG when purchasing a Retina MacBook Pro at the Apple store? I'm about to be on my way now.

2. Krauser macrumors regular

Nope. You'll know when you open the box and check you're new computer. Honestly though, don't worry about it unless you have a problem. If you buy the computer, enjoy it. If it starts giving you issues, return it or get it fixed under warranty. Opening a brand new retina machine, finding out it has a flawless screen that happens to be an LG panel, and then returning it for that reason alone is ridiculous.

3. skysailing thread starter macrumors regular

skysailing

Will do. I don't know what the difference would even be...but people flip **** on this forum if it happens to be LG.

4. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

It's the internet. There are people who flip out over everything. Trust your eyes, not anonymous, unhinged loonies on a web forum.

If it looks like ****, return it saying it looks like ****. If it looks good, keep it.

5. skysailing thread starter macrumors regular

skysailing

Will do, broseph.

6. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

What he said! :D

7. Krauser macrumors regular

I had a fully spec'd Retina 15 that I bought in early January (2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, etc.) and it came with an LG screen. It was definitely the most beautiful screen I've ever seen on anything, period. Of course I checked to see the model and ran the tests for IR but I got nothing. An absolutely flawless screen. Don't let people tell you that an LG screen means ghosting and IR, because trust me, I'm a huge stickler for quality and I'm anal as hell about my electronics. That said, I returned the machine for other reasons (it was having issues with the upper case flexing and my keyboard backlighting refused to work on occasion) but the screen was not one of those. If anything, the panel was absolute perfection. The IR problems and the overall internet crucifixion that's been dealt to LG over the displays in these machines is way overblown in my opinion.