Samsung screen on a late 2013 MBPr

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fivemagics75, Jan 3, 2014.

1. fivemagics75 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have the following screen on my new Retina Mac Book pro.

Color LCD
    LSN154YL01-A01

Is this a good screen for a late 2013 model?
    Or should I exchange my my unit for one that could carry an new LG screen.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

regards

2. UBS28, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014

UBS28 macrumors 6502a

Is there a particular reason you want a LG screen? LG screens can be yellow also and have potential IR issues.

If the colours are uniform and no dead pixels, then keep it. You can always calibrate the screens to a "Blue White" if you want to. However, the "yellow tint" screens are more colour accurate.

3. fivemagics75 thread starter macrumors newbie

so you suggest I keep the Samsung screen rather than a revised LG?

4. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

There is no guarantee that the revised LG screen is going to be better than your current Samsung screen.

If your current screen is great (uniform colours and no dead pixels), then keep it.

5. fivemagics75 thread starter macrumors newbie

I feel like the whites are not uniform on the Sammy...

6. TheEnthusiast macrumors regular

Based on reports made, LG screens seem to be affected by the the image retention issue while Samsung screens are the ones affected by the yellowing and non-uniform displays.

OP, my advice is just to keep your current display and don't let the fear that something may be wrong with the display get to your head. If that happens, you'll end up like some of people here; buying rMBPs just to examine the screens and subsequently going in for an exchange, without ever using the computer for its intended purpose.

7. ColdCase macrumors 68030

The rev 2 LG screens don't seem to be affected by IR.

But I think its hardly worth the swapping laptops unless you can't use the current screen for your work.. or you are just not happy with it. You spent big money on the laptop and you should be happy with the screen. Show the screen to an Apple genius and see what they think, or check others on display. Assessment of screen quality can be subjective.

8. Nik macrumors 6502a

I had a Late 2013 rMBP and got a rev 1 LG screen with IR.
    Now I have got a Samsung display and it is perfect. :)

9. fivemagics75 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm Sorry but it looks like the QC that theses laptops is going through isn't coherent with the price theyr are being paid for.
    My first rMBP had a huge bump on it's case. I don't know how the hell that went through QC.
    Now my replacement has a crappy Sammy screen, whith objectively uneaven whites. I'm just going to return it this week and go back to my PC.
    I will eventually rethink about a new purchase.
    I dont find it normal for a 2,5k machine, to have to go through 3 units to find a decent one.

10. GP20 macrumors member

How do you differentiate rev 1 and 2 of the LG screens?

11. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I would suggest that you keep the notebook that you have now if there are currently no issues with it.

12. uller6 macrumors member

uller6

I just got a brand new rMBP 15" maxed out with a Samsung screen. The screen is perfect. No issues with yellow or uneven lighting whatsoever. If your screen is fine then keep it.

13. TheEnthusiast macrumors regular

Good point. I should have been more specific; I was speaking in context of reported issues.

14. fivemagics75 thread starter macrumors newbie

My screen isn't uniform.
    That's why I'm exchanging it.