Samsung SH850 / 2017 MBP Sleep Issues

MCusuma1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2017
I have a 2017 non-touchbar MBP with a Samsung SH850 USB-C monitor I just purchased. Everything works great when the computer is on and I'm using it. However when I put it to sleep, the monitor tries to go to sleep after a few seconds, and then I hear the "blonk" sound on the computer as if I had just plugged in the power, and the screen comes on black for a second, then goes back off. Then the process repeats itself, every minute or so.

This also seems to disconnect the USB hard disks I have connected to the monitor's USB hub, as when I wake the system from sleep I see a ton of "Drive not disconnected / ejected properly' notifications on the right.

I also tried shutting down, and the monitor seemed to turn the computer back on all by itself!

Any ideas?

MCusuma1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2017
Did a clean install of MacOS High Sierra. The issue persists. One thing I noticed last night is the issue only occurs when I tell the system to go to sleep via the Apple menu. If it enters sleep via the sleep timer, the issue does not occur.

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
What kind of connection are you using between the display and the MacBook?

HDMI?
Displayport?

Alternative course of action:
1. Set up a corner of the display for "display sleep" ONLY.
2. When you're going to be away, put the display to sleep (leave the rest of the computer "running", i.e., don't try to "put the whole thing to sleep")
3. After the sleep timer puts it to sleep, it will BE "fully asleep".
4. Does it now wake up ok?

MCusuma1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2017
Everything is connected via USB-C. That was the whole reason for buying the monitor. Data, video, and power are all transferred via a single USB-C cable.

I can't put the display to sleep, there is no option for that in MacOS except for the timer. Also turning off the monitor disconnects the external drives and stops charging the computer.

robvas

macrumors 68030
Mar 29, 2009
USA
My MacBook does the same thing with an HDMI monitor using the USB-C adapter. The monitor will blink on every couple minutes, I just turn it off when I leave my desk.