Samsung shows off 12.2" tablet

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Ursadorable, Jan 6, 2014.

1. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

2. Ursadorable thread starter macrumors 6502

Ursadorable

Perhaps for all the naysayers that say Apple would never release a larger format iPad. Samsung gets a wiff of a rumor and tried to beat Apple to the punch.

3. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

Larger than 10" Android tabs have already existed. I think it was Toshiba or Lenovo? They had a 13" tablet out a few years ago. So this is nothing new. Samsung isn't trying to beat Apple to the punch per se, they are throwing so many devices to the wall to see what sticks. They're looking for the next Galaxy Note which was a surprise seller for them!

4. KPOM macrumors G5

Either that, or they could be aiming at Windows 8.1. The UI looks a lot like Metro.

5. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Can't wait to get it.. Shame don't know when it's coming out in UK

6. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

7. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

The UI seems nice. If touchwiz is heading there, I have hopes the gs5 will be the first galaxy not to induce vomit in my mouth ( the gs3 came pretty close though in making touchwiz look a bit better).

As long as Samsung can start matching moto in updates after that.....

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I like Magazine UX.

Nothing today is as cringey as the Micheal Bay meltdown on Samsungs press conference.... How much did they pay the man for 60 seconds of gut churning cringe inducing meltdown?

9. Sensamic macrumors 68030

Yeah, the new UI is interesting.

One thing I hoped for the SGS5 was a refreshed UI.

10. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Just think how fun it will be to use it as a camera.

11. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Probably in the same way that Samsung got a wiff of a rumor and tried to beat Apple to the punch and release a 7" tablet. :p

Apple is the one who claimed that 7" tablets were double ungood. And fans agreed... until Apple produced the mini, now 7" is viewed as superior to a full-sized iPad by these same fans.

Of all manufacturers, Samsung has a history of producing touchscreen devices from 3" up to 10" in seemingly .5" increments. If anyone would be expected to produce a 12" tablet proactively as part of a strategy (rather than as a preemptive strike) it would be Samsung.

This is more likely. Microsoft's Surface tablets were a "hot" (relatively speaking) item during the holiday shopping season. Word of mouth is slowly spreading and awareness is growing. Although WindowsRT is still a non-contender, there are full Win8 tablets being produced that are drawing some serious attention. The RT firesales won't resurrect WinRT, but it certainly put Win8 on customers' radar.