Samsung Smart Blu Ray or ATV3

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by sidefx, Jan 8, 2014.

1. sidefx macrumors regular

I'm in the market to get a blu ray player and something to stream internet content like Netflix and hulu.

Either I will get a cheap blu ray and an Apple TV

Or Samsung Smart 5900 blu ray, looks like it can get the same content as the apple tv and more.

However with the Samsung can I still screen share with my TV like I could with the airplay? I would use by MacBook and iphone.

2. QWERTYMac7 macrumors regular

Uh, no.

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

No screen sharing, but you most likely can take advantage of it's DLNA capabilities (streaming of music, movies and photos) once you find a good server program.

4. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I have had a Samsung Smart Blu Ray player for two years and I just got an Apple TV for Christmas.

The Samsung worked ok for Netflix, but it was a little slow, even with a wired connection. I prefer the ATV interface and the added capabilities (Air Play, etc).

It's worth mentioning that I already have a PS3 for Bluray on one TV, I wanted the Samsung to play Bluray on the other TV in the house. I also prefer the Netflix interface on the PS3 to both the Samsung and the ATV.

5. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

You can if it's a Samsung phone with ScreenShare or SCast or whatever they're calling it now adays.