Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB HD problems.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by orangejuice, Jan 17, 2008.

1. orangejuice macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Long story short,

I received my Samsung F1 HD753 HD this morning, and I installed it into bay Two.

When I fire up OSX I am prompted with an error message, I believe OSX states that the disk is unreadable , I go into disk utility and the Samsung Hard Drive is clearly listed underneath my BTO Apple drive.

Every option within the first Aid Window is greyed out, I cannot verify the disk, or repair the disk, in fact, I don't know if this would even help me at all?

I am really confused as to where to do from here, the company I bought the disk from will not return my phonecalls, nor will they answer any questions I pose to them (They're a large Ebay company).

Am I doing something wrong here, or is the disk buggered?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

BTW It is a new Harpertown MP.

2. orangejuice thread starter macrumors newbie

Ignore my post, I always knew that when my mom said I was special she certainly wasn't lying.

Forgot to format the disk, looks like Windoze has frazzled my meagre brain!

Works perfectly now.

3. eji macrumors 6502

eji

Hey. I know you've solved your problem, but I just wanted to chime in with my experience with Samsung Spinpoints: in a word, great!

For some reason, I'd never really thought of Samsung as worthy HDD manufacturer, always opting instead for WD or Seagate (a bit like Pentax in the D-SLR world). But my experience with a 500GB Spinpoint -- cool, quiet, fast, inexpensive -- to replace the 250GB WD my iMac G5 has made me consider buying a lot more drives from Samsung in the future. Hope your experience with the 750GB model is the same.

4. Somethingelse macrumors newbie

Samsung F1 fire

Ive had Seagate for years with no problem other than noise

last week i thought id give samsung a go

within 5 days the PCB set on fire :(

Ive got most of the data backed up on a Seagate 500, but as the new samsung F1 has my bank info on it, i don't want to send it back and get a replacement, or my money back without wiping it first

Anyone know how to get a new PCB so i can wipe it before getting a RMA?

Attached Files:

5. weaksauce macrumors newbie

Okay...same here

But I see you figured something out I can't. ALL the options are greyed out. How do I format it and use it. Same EXACT situation for me.

6. milk242 macrumors 6502a

You can go to disk utility and click on the drive and then click on the partition tab then under volume scheme: select 1 partition and then click the options button and select guid. I think that should work