Samsung Spinpoint F1 - Mac Pro 2.8 GHZ / Leopard problem. Disk not repairable.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by matt39932, Oct 27, 2008.

1. matt39932 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Have a problem with my Samsung Spinpoint HD (750 Gig model).

Every time I boot up, I receive this error message:

[​IMG]

The disk 'Samsung F1 HD' was not repairable by this computer.

I don't know what to do here? I really do not want to wipe the drive as this is used to store my sample libraries for Audio work, and they're absolutely huge.

I have no idea why this has happened, have tried reseating the drive but still get this error. What are the implications of this error? And what's the best step to take from here?

Help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. grue macrumors 65816

How much more obvious can this be? Back up your crap and reformat. Be prepared to replace the drive, too.

They're not saying to do it because they were bored and wanted to put in a fun and exciting error message :rolleyes:

3. matt39932 thread starter macrumors newbie

You think?

I posted this because I am not an expert and wanted some advice as to alternatives, also thought it might be helpful to find out what caused this error.

Considering I don't have experience in such a sector I thought i'd ask politely to see, for future reference, if such a problem is preventable. I forgot that most forums are populated by arrogant condescending morons.

Anyway seems like the drive is fixed now, I no longer get the error message and all functions are usable. Guess it was just a glitch.

Thanks, but no thanks.

4. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

I don't think the response you received was 'arrogant' in any way. The message you received should have prompted you to carry out an immediate backup, instead of spending time on the forum asking for instructions. It's like a "Dude! Stop typing here and backup your crap!" kind of moment.

If you're into audio work.. I recommend that you ALWAYS back up your samples - drives fail all the time. Keep your data backed up on another drive, and on DVDs as well. From your last post you seem to be comfortable that it was just a glitch - yeah, that's when the drive usually dies (when you start getting comfy) :D Backup!

5. grue macrumors 65816

Heh, yeah, I didn't mean to be quite as sarcastic as that came off. I hadn't had my morning caffeine yet :D

6. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

No morning coffee by 4:00 in the afternoon? Or is that just my time and you're someplace else in the world... :)

Get a backup ASAP, hopefully it was just a glitch but don't risk things like that. With a MP and 1TB drives being around $130, go buy another drive, put it in an empty bay and move all your stuff to the new one. If you still have a warranty on the 750 get it replaced.

7. iamcheerful macrumors 6502

iamcheerful

back up is good advice

ftr, grue didn't come off as "arrogant condescending morons" yet.

"Back up your crap and reformat. Be prepared to replace the drive, too."
    those may be strong words, and i'm sure it was intended the very way it was. i would say a good advice as most of us tend to ignore the obvious. i do that many a times and i'm certainly thankful for such strong and useful suggestions.

as they say, those at the sidelines are always clearer in the mind than those in the game itself.

ftr again, i'm just speaking from a 3rd party point of view.

as for alternate suggestions, as the others have mentioned, now that the drive(s) is/are fine, start backing up asap. i for one would rather spend on additional hdds than on recovery. i'll not drag the details out but keep it short and simple.

8. grue macrumors 65816

I'm in Australia, it was a little after 9am and I was out very very late last night :D

9. qian12 macrumors newbie

same issue

Hi, I am having the same issue with my hard drive but it is an iomega brand instead. No one really answered the question above as to why this problem occurs. I suspect it is because I go between mac and windows (at school i work in mac, but at home i back up on windows) but I am not sure. In addition, I transferred some large files onto the hard drive prior to the error msg occurring...maybe that's the culprit? Is there a way to prevent this from happening in the future? It really is a drag to have to back up and reformat more than one time.

Thanks

10. G4DP macrumors 65816

Who knows why your drives are failing they just are. ***** happens. Do as the message says. If the drive is still within the warranty period take it back for a refund or replacement.

Grue, wasn't arrogant or rude, in fact he was quite restrained considering the warning message tells you exactly what to do.

I would have thought that time machine would stop people from having these problems.

How is it a drag to back up? Both windows and mac os have auto back up software.

You really mean your to lazy to get a second drive and plug it in.

11. qian12 macrumors newbie

hd errors

What I meant was that it's a drag if the same external hard drive continues to fail and I have to reformat it more than once. I thought that perhaps I was doing something that was creating the error msg. I already back up all my stuff on another hard drive.

Also, I'm the type of person who likes to know why something happens which was what my question was addressing. "**** happens" doesn't explain anything to me

12. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hiya matt.

My advice to you would be to make immediate backup of ALL your files and data, from your home directories (pictures, movies, documents etc) don't forget the user library. Alternative if you have Time Machine, backup the entire drive.

Chances are, the OS has mounted your drive to give you a chance to make backup. If you look carefully, there will be various restriction imposed such as, user modifications have been limited. Be warned though, if nothing is done soon and your drive fails completely and ALL your data will be lost! (Data recover is possible but at a cost and it won't be cheap!)

Often this sort of error would occur if there's a physical fault with your drive. Possible causes include improper and force shutdown of the system; power outages, head crashed, defects, bad firmware and the list goes on.

13. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Sometimes formatting won't resolve those issues, cause there's actual defects on the platters. Formatting the drive repeatedly will only postpone the death of the drive, it'll never be as reliable as a newly replaced drive.

If something like this does happen to you, it's best to get the drive swapped out via the warranty. In most stores, they'll do the swapping onsite, in the same day.

14. jeromemaes macrumors newbie

Solution

Hello,

Found a solution that worked for me: Plug your HD into a windows machine, safely remove it, plug it back into your apple.

Hope this helps,

jerome

ps. Might be a good idea to back up anyway.