Samsung Spinpoint M for Hard Drive Replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Radio Monk33, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

Just wondering if this is the right drive for replacing the stock HDD in my MBP:
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=28816&vpn=HM320JI&manufacture=Samsung SSI

Seems like a pretty good deal, I suppose they are trying to clear out the 320 gig drives before the 500 hits.

Though, I guess I should also ask if anyone has an idea of what it will cost for the 500 gig drives when they are sold on their own without an enclosure?

Thanks!

2. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

Should be okay. I am a fan of the Spinpoints, through I went with Western Digital for my MBP.

3. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

That's the drive I put in my MBP. Works fabulously.

4. Radio Monk33 thread starter macrumors 6502

The price is very tempting...I guess here's the rebates before they drop the prices of the 320 gig drives (Hitachi had big rebates last month) before the 500's drop everywhere.

Now I suppose the question is whether or not I should wait for the 500's. :confused: Though, at a price point of probably 300$ CDN it looks like I can't go wrong by picking up this 320 gig drive and worst comes to worst, just using it as additional storage in a few years.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The prices on both the 500GB Samsung and Hitachi are already dropping.

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Alpha - have you seen an OEM of the Samsung 500 yet?

7. Radio Monk33 thread starter macrumors 6502

Since all tech prices drop, do you mean that it's dropping surprisingly fast? As in I should hold off for a month or two?

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just sold by itself or do you mean have I seen the actual drive? I think you can currently only buy with in an enclosure, but OWC is already selling the drive and enclosure apart (well you have to buy both, but the drive no longer comes in the enclosure).

http://tinyurl.com/4jr9fz

Well not surprisingly fast, but dropping as expect; when it first comes out it's like $350, now it's around $280

9. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Yes - OEM is generally just the drive without cables or software. Retail packs generally have cable(s), screws, software, etc. I need another enclosure like I need another hole in my head. :)