Samsung Spinpoint M8 1TB 5400RPM have SMS Sensor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by happle, Nov 22, 2011.

1. happle macrumors 6502a

so im looking to do the optical bay swap in my new MBP, when i get it in two weeks LOL. originally i was going to put the SSD in the optical bay, but iv read stories about 6gbps not working, so im going to put the SSD in the main bay and the HDD in the optical bay.

now iv read that the SMS sensor on the macbook does not work for the optical bay. im looking at the Samsung Pinpoint M8 1TB 5400RPM HDD because i read it was actually faster than most 500gb 7200 rpm drives. but i cant find out anywhere if the thing has a SMS or G sensor built into it, or if it needs one for that matter.

2. Jpalessi macrumors member

looking for an answer on this same question. I'm in the same situation trying to figure out where to put what drive. i also heard the same about this drive being as fast as most 7200 rpm.

3. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

I have a 2011 MBP 15 and SMS works on my optical bay drive, can confirm it 10000000%, I have the dual drive setup running for a month and every time I do any sudden movement with my MBP the SMS kicks in, because majority of the time I am watching lectures for my class which are stored on my HDD in Optical Bay slot. since my SSD is mainly for OS and documents.

You guys can use my tips/suggestions I posted so people can clear their doubts about dual drive setup:):

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1278494

4. Jpalessi macrumors member

awesome. how do you like the m8? would you buy it again?

5. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

Sorry I don't hav the m8, I just used my 5400 Toshiba branded 500GB HDD that came with my Macbook As I really don't have a use for the faster HDD or more storage. I have a 2TB External for my backups and other files. For normal usage 500GB which I split into 350 for OSX Storage and 150GB for Bootcamp(Win7) is plenty for me as my SSD is 180GB. I was considering buying the 1TB Spinpoint but then I thought why waste money.

Having 680GB of total space is plenty for me on my MBP:) cause unlike other people that only put their OS on their SSD's I got a bigger SSD to actually use it like a regular drive, but jus keep my important files on my HDD to protect my self from failure as we all know SSD's are still new compared to HDD's which have been around for longer. Also buying a small SSD jus for OS i find it a waste of a drive bay.....all that work to put in a HDD in optical bay slot for what? a 60-80GB SSD? Most of the time I eject my HDD when I don't use it so it spins down and I work solely off my SSD giving me a battery life boost.

IF you are considering a bit of performance might as well get the Seagate Momentus XT 750GB newly released with 8GB NAND! and its also 7200RPM.

Point of my reply was that SMS functions regardless of where the HDD is as long as you don't turn it off via command or some app.

6. Jpalessi macrumors member

got ya! thanks for the reply. I'll check out that seagate. my current hdd is only a 250. lol

7. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

Ya if you don't want to spend money on SSD, that HDD is amazing will give you a HUGE boost over 5400 HDD and even 7200HDD.....since it will increase application load times and boot times thanks to the 8GB Nand it has which works to be a Hybrid Solid State Hard Disk Drive.

8. Jpalessi macrumors member

I actually plan to put a small 64gb 830series samsung ssd in the center bay for op system n apps. then something big for the hdd so i can store a ton of movies for when im on the go. I also have good use for the 250 thats in here once it goes in a enclosure, my desktop needs a new backup...