Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung is in hot water with Australia's consumer watchdog for allegedly misleading consumers about the level of water resistance its Galaxy smartphones offer.

samsung-galaxy-underwater-ad.jpeg
Samsung Galaxy advertisement

Reuters reports that the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) is suing the South Korean firm for falsely representing its Galaxy phones as suitable for use underwater, following ads that show the devices being submerged in swimming pools and used in ocean water.

Samsung did not know or sufficiently test the effects of pool or saltwater exposure on its phones when ads showed them fully submerged, claims the ACCC lawsuit.
"The ACCC alleges Samsung's advertisements falsely and misleadingly represented Galaxy phones would be suitable for use in, or for exposure to, all types of water, including in ocean water and swimming pools, and would not be affected by such exposure to water for the life of the phone, when this was not the case," ACCC Chairman Rod Sims said in a statement.
Samsung Galaxy phones are marketed as having IP68 water resistance, defined as resistant to water 1.5 meters deep for 30 minutes. The ACCC's point is the IP68 rating doesn't cover all types of water. However, Samsung told Reuters it stood by its advertising, complied with Australian law, and would defend the case.

The smartphone maker has invested heavily in advertising to rebuild its reputation in the public eye, following its 2016 global recall of fire-prone Galaxy Note 7 devices.

Article Link: Samsung Sued by Australian Consumer Watchdog for 'Misleading' Galaxy Phone Water Resistance Ads

LaraCroft835

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
As I already said, Apple should be sued too.

The iPhone X is absolutely not water resistant after some days of use, way off the advertised “30 minutes in 1.5m of water”. Or something.
just to clarify
About splash, water, and dust resistance of iPhone 7 and later
Learn about splash, water, and dust resistance on your iPhone. And learn what to do if your iPhone gets wet accidentally.

iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPhone X, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 7, and iPhone 7 Plus are splash, water, and dust resistant and were tested under controlled laboratory conditions.

iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max have a rating of IP68 under IEC standard 60529 (maximum depth of 2 meters up to 30 minutes). iPhone XR, iPhone X, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 7, and iPhone 7 Plus have a rating of IP67 under IEC standard 60529 (maximum depth of 1 meter up to 30 minutes). Splash, water, and dust resistance are not permanent conditions and resistance might decrease as a result of normal wear. Liquid damage is not covered under warranty.

iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR are resistant to accidental spills from common liquids, such as soda, beer, coffee, tea, and juice. In the event of a spill, rinse the affected area with tap water, then wipe your iPhone off and dry it.

To prevent liquid damage, avoid these:

• Swimming or bathing with your iPhone
  • Exposing your iPhone to pressurized water or high velocity water, such as when showering, water skiing, wake boarding, surfing, jet skiing, and so on
  • Using your iPhone in a sauna or steam room
  • Intentionally submerging your iPhone in water
  • Operating your iPhone outside the suggested temperature ranges or in extremely humid conditions
  • Dropping your iPhone or subjecting it to other impacts
  • Disassembling your iPhone, including removing screws
Minimize exposing your iPhone to soap, detergent, acids or acidic foods, and any liquids—for example, perfume, insect repellent, lotions, sunscreen, oil, adhesive remover, hair dye, and solvents. If your iPhone comes into contact with any of these substances, follow the instructions to clean your iPhone.

What should I do if my iPhone gets wet?
  1. If a liquid other than water splashes on your iPhone, rinse the affected area with tap water.
  2. Wipe your iPhone off with a soft, lint-free cloth—for example, a lens cloth.
Make sure that your iPhone is dry before opening the SIM tray.

To dry your iPhone, tap it gently against your hand with the Lightning connector facing down to remove excess liquid. Leave your iPhone in a dry area with some airflow. Placing your iPhone in front of a fan blowing cool air directly into the Lightning connector might help the drying process.

Don't dry your iPhone using an external heat source or insert a foreign object, such as a cotton swab or a paper towel, into the Lightning connector.

If my iPhone gets wet, can I charge it?
If your iPhone has been exposed to liquid, unplug all cables and do not charge your device until it’s completely dry. Using accessories or charging when wet might damage your iPhone. Allow at least 5 hours before charging with a Lightning cable or connecting a Lightning accessory.

For wireless charging, wipe off your iPhone with a soft, lint-free cloth—for example, a lens cloth. Make sure that your iPhone is dry before you place it on a compatible wireless charging mat.

What should I do if my iPhone got wet, and now its speaker sounds muffled?
Check to see if water is in the microphone or speaker: Place your iPhone, speaker side down, on a lint-free cloth and see if water drips out. Water in the port might degrade speaker or microphone performance until it completely evaporates. Dry your iPhone using the previous instructions.

What should I do if dust gets on my iPhone?
If dust or dirt gets on your iPhone, wipe it off with a soft, lint-free cloth—for example, a lens cloth. Make sure that your iPhone is free of dust before opening the SIM tray. Don't use cleaning products or compressed air.

Published Date: April 16, 2019

bacskai

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2019
just to clarify
Learn about splash, water, and dust resistance on your iPhone. And learn what to do if your iPhone gets wet accidentally.

iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPhone X, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 7, and iPhone 7 Plus are splash, water, and dust resistant and were tested under controlled laboratory conditions.

iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max have a rating of IP68 under IEC standard 60529 (maximum depth of 2 meters up to 30 minutes). iPhone XR, iPhone X, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 7, and iPhone 7 Plus have a rating of IP67 under IEC standard 60529 (maximum depth of 1 meter up to 30 minutes). Splash, water, and dust resistance are not permanent conditions and resistance might decrease as a result of normal wear. Liquid damage is not covered under warranty.

iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR are resistant to accidental spills from common liquids, such as soda, beer, coffee, tea, and juice. In the event of a spill, rinse the affected area with tap water, then wipe your iPhone off and dry it.

• Exposing your iPhone to pressurized water or high velocity water, such as when showering, water skiing, wake boarding, surfing, jet skiing, and so on
  • Operating your iPhone outside the suggested temperature ranges or in extremely humid conditions
Minimize exposing your iPhone to soap, detergent, acids or acidic foods, and any liquids—for example, perfume, insect repellent, lotions, sunscreen, oil, adhesive remover, hair dye, and solvents. If your iPhone comes into contact with any of these substances, follow the instructions to clean your iPhone.

1. If a liquid other than water splashes on your iPhone, rinse the affected area with tap water.

To dry your iPhone, tap it gently against your hand with the Lightning connector facing down to remove excess liquid. Leave your iPhone in a dry area with some airflow. Placing your iPhone in front of a fan blowing cool air directly into the Lightning connector might help the drying process.

Don't dry your iPhone using an external heat source or insert a foreign object, such as a cotton swab or a paper towel, into the Lightning connector.

If your iPhone has been exposed to liquid, unplug all cables and do not charge your device until it’s completely dry. Using accessories or charging when wet might damage your iPhone. Allow at least 5 hours before charging with a Lightning cable or connecting a Lightning accessory.

For wireless charging, wipe off your iPhone with a soft, lint-free cloth—for example, a lens cloth. Make sure that your iPhone is dry before you place it on a compatible wireless charging mat.

Check to see if water is in the microphone or speaker: Place your iPhone, speaker side down, on a lint-free cloth and see if water drips out. Water in the port might degrade speaker or microphone performance until it completely evaporates. Dry your iPhone using the previous instructions.

If dust or dirt gets on your iPhone, wipe it off with a soft, lint-free cloth—for example, a lens cloth. Make sure that your iPhone is free of dust before opening the SIM tray. Don't use cleaning products or compressed air.

My iPhone X has submerged under 30 cm of water for 2 mins. The selfie camera got steamy from the inside and the phone is now completely trash because of the water damage. Can I sue Apple now as well? They falsely claim that 3feet/1m for sure.

Kajje

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
Asia
I've been using my iPhone 7 in the pool since the day it has been released. I've jumped into pools while recording videos.
I put my phone into the pool hundreds of times to cool it down. Still works fine. I stopped doing this however because after some sim swaps the rubber sealing on the sim slot door came loose a bit.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
I've been using my iPhone 7 in the pool since the day it has been released. I've jumped into pools while recording videos.
I put my phone into the pool hundreds of times to cool it down. Still works fine. I stopped doing this however because after some sim swaps the rubber sealing on the sim slot door came loose a bit.
Didn’t know Chuck Norris used an iPhone.

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
just to clarify

More proof that the advertised IP67 water resistance is not real.

KJH

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2018
My iPhone X has submerged under 30 cm of water for 2 mins. The selfie camera got steamy from the inside and the phone is now completely trash because of the water damage. Can I sue Apple now as well? They falsely claim that 3feet/1m for sure.

If you watch the iPhone 7 keynote they specifically mention its splash resistant and not waterproof. In fact in one of the original iPhone commercials it shows a man riding a bike with the iPhone getting wet with rain. It never shows the iPhone completely submerged which is the issue this article is talking about. Samsung specifically shows their phones submerged in its advertising.

And here is another ad where Apple shows specifically what they have stated on the Apple Support website.

And another

Last edited:

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Problem I have with that is extracted above, (assuming I understand correctly).......
So in one breath they are saying that your phone can withstand water ingress under the conditions I've highlighted in red. Then in the next they're saying that they won't honour a warranty if they find water inside that might actually be as a result of being submerged for less than those limits???

Reactions: decypher44

Guidonculous

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2015
Problem I have with that is extracted above, (assuming I understand correctly).......
So in one breath they are saying that your phone can withstand water ingress under the conditions I've highlighted in red. Then in the next they're saying that they won't honour a warranty if they find water inside that might actually be as a result of being submerged for less than those limits???

My car is designed to withstand crashing into another vehicle at extreme force.

My car’s warranty does not cover me crashing or into things.

There’s two different things here. The iPhone is “designed to be IP68 resistant”. The warranty does not cover using the device in the extreme circumstances that the device is designed to be capable of withstanding.

I.E. Apple did the best they could to make the device survive being in water, they do not suggest you put such designs to the test, and if you do, the responsibility is on you.

This isn’t done weird bait and switch, this is a basic understanding of warranties and how they differ from technical specifications.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
As I already said, Apple should be sued too.

The iPhone X is absolutely not water resistant after some days of use, way off the advertised “30 minutes in 1.5m of water”. Or something.

Never heard of anyone complaining about iPhone X not being water resistant. Heck, even the iPhone 6 had some resistance to the water, at least from my experience.

maximage77

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2014
This isn’t some weird bait and switch, this is a basic understanding of warranties and how they differ from technical specifications.

That has got to be, hands down, the best explanation and analogy I have seen, nicely put!!

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
It’s a tricky line Apple has walked trying to advertise IP67 (did the XS/XR go to 68?) water resistance on these phones as a feature but also emphasize its really to help mitigate water damage in the case of accidental submersion.

On the flip side though, the Apple Watches have been excellent, especially the Series 2 and later which were designed for pool and open water swimming and heavily advertised for it. Though it was more designed to be water resistant from the ground up in a way, where iPhones initially never were.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008

There’s two different things here. The iPhone is “designed to be IP68 resistant”. The warranty does not cover using the device in the extreme circumstances that the device is designed to be capable of withstanding.

I.E. Apple did the best they could to make the device survive being in water, they do not suggest you put such designs to the test, and if you do, the responsibility is on you.

This isn’t done weird bait and switch, this is a basic understanding of warranties and how they differ from technical specifications.
Does your car manufacturer show you video of your car crashing into things with no damage? Yea didn’t think so.
Apple shouldn’t release commercials showing that the phone is capable of getting wet and then not cover warranty on it.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
if you check out the ads I’ve posted in my comment above Apple doesn’t show a completely submerged iPhone in ANY of their commercials. They only show splash resistance. They even put the words “splash resistance” in the ad. They also specifically mentioned this at the keynote.
Well ya so if you get your phone splashed with water and it stops working don’t expect Apple to replace it anyway. There should be no commercial with any water in it. Having those ratings should be basically not known to anybody.

Reactions: Marekul

KJH

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2018
Does your car manufacturer show you video of your car crashing into things with no damage? Yea didn’t think so.
Apple shouldn’t release commercials showing that the phone is capable of getting wet and then not cover warranty on it.

The phone is capable of getting splashed without having damage. All the people above who said they had issues fully submerged their phone. I used to work at Fossil and it worked the exact same way with the watches. While they are designed for splash resistance it is not covered under the warranty. I have never seen an iPhone be damaged by a splash of water. And let’s just says I used to work around iPhones for a living.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
The phone is capable of getting splashed without having damage. All the people above who said they had issues fully submerged their phone. I used to work at Fossil and it worked the exact same way with the watches. While they are designed for splash resistance it is not covered under the warranty. I have never seen an iPhone be damaged by a splash of water. And let’s just says I used to work around iPhones for a living.
There are plenty of stories on here and online about their iPhones getting splashed with water or liquid and the phone having issues. Just saying it does happen. Apple shouldn’t be advertising it if they don’t honor “splash” proof phones. That’s how I see it anyway.

Reactions: adib and Marekul

KJH

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2018
There are plenty of stories on here and online about their iPhones getting splashed with water or liquid and the phone having issues. Just saying it does happen. Apple shouldn’t be advertising it if they don’t honor “splash” proof phones. That’s how I see it anyway.

Okay show me those stories. Link me. I provided evidence for what I’m saying.

iSuitUp

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2019
London

If you aren't going to read what you quote and reply to, why do you even reply in the first place?

Or as someone said one day ... RTFM!

Reactions: MagMan1979 and KJH

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
just to clarify

Thank you for sharing this, I wish I had seen it before my XS took a very brief swim about a month ago.

Its still working fine but I learned a lot from this if it should get wet again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.