Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boneheadxan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
Hellow,

I recently purchased a 2009 Mac Pro (ATI 4870) and am using it with the 22" Samsung SyncMaster2253LW monitor. I'm no monitor expert, but a lot of videos etc look highly pixelated etc. The Desktop and everything else is fine. Most of the options aren't accessible esp the contrast. I have it connected via DVI and VGA :p Does DVI or VGA mark a major difference?

I know the monitor is a bit old. It's dynamic contrast is 8000:1. Is it purely because of the monitor that the graphics look so cheap and pixelated?? Even the DVDRips look quite cheap. : (

Do movie quality improve cause of the graphics card? Ofcourse on my compact 13" MB, DVDRips look brilliant. Should I get a better monitor? I feel my poor 4870 is feeling unused.

Cheers.

Sorry for the n00bness.

IronFixXxeR

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2009
Austin, Texas
I have it connected via DVI and VGA :p Does DVI or VGA mark a major difference?

Wait what? You have a DVI and a VGA connection connected at the same time?? Try just DVI. VGA is an analog signal while DVI is digital, it should give you a better picture.

Also, are you running it in the native resolution of 1,680 x 1,050? If you don't the images will look bad.

You say the desktop looks fine but videos look bad. Maybe the videos you are watching are poor quality? Even if you play the same DVD rip on your 13" MB screen and compare it to the 22" it won't look quite as good simply because the screen is so much bigger. (Assuming you watch it in full screen mode)

Boneheadxan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
:D Thanks, but a bit too late. I just went and got the Apple 24" display. Even with DVI only it looked alright. My issue wasn't the DVDRips. My DVD's looked quite bad on it :confused:

I needed a new display anyways, I do plan on doing some Photoshop and FCP, so I guess it should be alright now :cool:

Thanks anyways.

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
:D Thanks, but a bit too late. I just went and got the Apple 24" display. Even with DVI only it looked alright. My issue wasn't the DVDRips. My DVD's looked quite bad on it :confused:

I needed a new display anyways, I do plan on doing some Photoshop and FCP, so I guess it should be alright now :cool:

Thanks anyways.

I've got a Samsung, and to get decent picture out of it, I had to turn off the dynamic contrast (it actually made the picture quality terrible), and then go through the calibration procedure. Granted, it's still a TN panel, but it looks pretty good...

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
I have a Samsung 245BW 24", and while just about everything looks fine on it, sometimes the graphics (especially in darker areas of photographs) look quite grainy (sometimes on DVDs as well.)

What were you saying about the dynamic contrast? I don't see anything about that on my monitor...

Boneheadxan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
Gokyu that's exactly the problem I faced. The black looks pixelated or even green and grainy at times.

As for contrast and other settings, a lot of them were unavailable for some weird reason. :confused: The noise in pictures annoyed me.

The Apple display obviously looks awesome :D And I prefer gloss to matte for some reason.

Cheers.

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
Gokyu that's exactly the problem I faced. The black looks pixelated or even green and grainy at times.

As for contrast and other settings, a lot of them were unavailable for some weird reason. :confused: The noise in pictures annoyed me.

The Apple display obviously looks awesome :D And I prefer gloss to matte for some reason.

Cheers.

I know on mine, you couldn't enable manual controls (for brightness, contrast, etc.) until you turned off the dynamic contrast, which was on a different menu level. Made a world of difference. No patchy blacks in mine, though I didn't try it out with the dynamic contrast turned on (I turned it off as quickly as I could because of how poor it looked).

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
The only option I can see on mine is under the Image menu, there's a "Coarse" setting, currently set to 2081.

I'll have to look that up...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.