Samsung Syncmaster 906BW Trouble

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by HSCmatt, Jun 20, 2007.

1. HSCmatt macrumors newbie

So I bought a 19 inch Samsung Syncmaster 906BW to use with my Macbook after reading a lot of good reviews on it. When using this monitor on Windows it is nice, lots of screen real estate and good color. However when using it with the Mac I am unable to get it to look decent. At first it was incredibly bright, which was only amplified because I have a light background. I ran the Apple display calibrator and that fixed it somewhat, but it is still too bright. There is also a noticeable difference in colors between the Macbook display and the Samsung display. The colors on the Samsung are very deep, but they're almost too deep that it is distracting. For example look at the record, it's a goldish color on the Macbook (which makes sense because it complements the lower stripe), but on the Samsung it's a bright green. Another thing to notice is the dock, the dock border is apparent on the Macbook screen but almost blends in on the Samsung. One last problem is that even with it on the max resolution (1440x900) I really don't gain any extra desktop space. On Windows when altering the resolution there is an obvious increase in real estate, but with the Mac everything just seems to become disproportionately large. (For instance the top menu bar)

For what it's worth, this monitor is marketed as Mac compatible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated because this is really annoying. Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mac Kiwi macrumors 6502a

What res does your apple display prefs pane tell you its set at?

I have a 215 TW and I had to dl a magic bright app from Samsungs site,this did help on brightness settings etc....sorry its called Magic Tune.

3. HSCmatt thread starter macrumors newbie

The Samsung's resolution is 1440x900. (as seen in the pictures)
    I downloaded MagicTune and just messing with the brightness/contrast settings really had no effect. I tried loading the calibrator but for some reason it won't load, there's no response when I press the button - that's why I used Apple's calibrator instead. It's not a *huge* issue right now because I have the screen hooked up to my PC and my Macbook, so I'm just using it for PC. My main concern however is that I bought the screen to take with me to college (only taking my Macbook not PC) so I can have a bigger screen in my dorm but still the portability when around campus, so I need to get it right by then.

4. urbanskywalker macrumors 6502

MagicTune sucks. I had a Samsung monitor for my imac core duo and I could never get the program to work. There are several versions though, and you have to make sure you have a compatible version of Java. Even so, I gave up and just used Apples monitor adjustment. In the end I got used to the brightness. As for colour you will probably never get them to match exactly because they will use different panels.

5. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

To me it looks like it's on the wrong resolution, probably because it's set to mirror the MacBook's display and is therefore using the MacBook's resolution.

Under the Display preferences, under Arrangement, uncheck the "Mirror Displays" and see if it goes into the right resolution (you may have to manually put the Samsung into the max res.

Also, I too had lots of problems getting my Samsung LCD's color and contrast to match my MacBook's screen. I could never get it right, but by playing with the actual on screen controls I got it closer than by calibrating it.

6. HSCmatt thread starter macrumors newbie

I think this is it. I ran the Macbook while it was closed so the Samsung would be the main monitor and it looked a lot better. I think the Macbook was adjusting the resolution even though I had it set at 1440x900, I think I read somewhere that it doesn't support past 1280x800. The colors still didn't match exactly, but that's to be expected and it was actually acceptable looking. Just running it as the main monitor is what I had planned to do in college anyway, and while I'd like the colors to match better I'm still happy with it as it is.

7. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I had a similar experience with 2 Samsung LCDs I bought recently (don't have the model number, they were cheap so I wasn't expecting too much!). Out of the box, the brightness was far too high and the colours very washed out; also the text was very jagged - almost illegible below 10 point.

Adjusting the on-screen settings, recalibrating and trying different font smoothing styles (the default for LCDs wasn't the best IME) made it acceptable, but still not a patch on any other LCD I use (MBP, iMac 'sunflower')

8. HSCmatt thread starter macrumors newbie

I was surprised with what I got when I plugged it in, I mean I'm happy with it now (at least on PC) but the reviews I read all gave it very high marks, saying how everything is crisp and vivid and colors are deep, etc. I have a Samsung LCD tv (which I had been using as a monitor too, previously) so I trusted Samsung quality. One thing I will say though is text is crisp and it produces a very deep black.

9. webraider macrumors member

I Also Had a Problem...

I also had a sever problem getting the color to work right on my Samsung. It just seemed overly contrasted.. Whites were too White/Bright. I lowered my Brightness to 30, Contrast is on 75, and I switched my color tone to "Warm". I noticed that even in the normal setting the whites were "overly Blue". Setting the color to warm didn't Make my whites red.. it seemed to make them just right. The text is very clear. Also make sure that you are using you are using a DVI connection. I had VERY fuzzy text using the CRT Connection.

10. JKColo22 macrumors regular

*Renewing thread*

When I press the "menu" button on the bottom of my SyncMaster 906BW both the Picture (brightness and contrast) and Color (MagicColor, Color Tone, Color Control and Gamma) menus say "not available" at the bottom and I am unable to access them. I tried installing MagicTune, but it is not compatible with the 906BW, so please offer an alternative solution. The monitor is hooked up via DVI to a Mini-Display Port to DVI convertor to my MBP.

Thanks for the help guys, this is driving me crazy!